Kitchen hairdos and quality of your hair

Joined Jan 17, 2017
Here's a question for everyone with long hair - how do you tie it? Pony tails, braids, buns, what works best for you? Have you noticed your hair thinning over the years because it's strapped back for a minimum of 8 hours every day?

I usually braid my hair and secure it with a ton of bobby pins, and thankfully it's all still in one place.

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Welcome to cheftalk.  My hair is short now but has been long in the past.  I put it in a pony tail and fold that over and use a hair band to hold it up short.  Had a woman chef hint that I should not wear long hair in kitchen.  She changed her mind that if that was the  case for me it would be for everyone in the kitchen, her included.  I always wear a hat long hair or short.  My hair has thinned over the years but I think it is called male pattern baldness of some such thing.

Joined Aug 21, 2009
In the past when I had long hair I had it in a bun and stuck the bun through the back hole in my kitchen cap.  Where I work now we must wear hairnets so when it was longer I just had it in a bun an then the net.  
Now I keep it chin length in a diagonal bob and it fits nicely into the hairnets we wear without tying it back.

Joined Jun 1, 2017
I put it in a high bun, no ponytail swishing around. This do basically makes me forget me hair and by the time I am ready working, I undo the bunch and exit with a hat of curls.

Joined Oct 29, 2016
I have LONG hair. This being said, no one else notices. I put it in a pony tail, through a hat loop, braid the pony tail, and then bun it. I go up and down tons of stairs and it doesn't move.

Joined Jun 5, 2017
Hello! 
I used to make a pony tail when I had a long hair but it even caused head aches ( I think that was the reason) 

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I have long hair and just stuff it all in a Buff or some other light breathable sleeve.

<---- a cartoon version of me in my Buff.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 15, 2013
Mine is long but thin, so I pull it in a high pony tail and make a bun out of it secured with a few bobby pins.  I also do this almost daily in the summer when it is really hot outside.

Top Bottom