Kitchen Floors

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by chef improver, Apr 4, 2012.

1. chef improver

chef improver

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hi Guys,

a food inspector recently took me to visit a restaurant where he had advised the owner on re flooring his kitchen.

On the inspector's advice the owner installed a white marble floor.

In use, it was found to be slippery so now they have rubber mats in the wet areas.

Also a large part of the floor cracked and now needs to be replaced.

The inspector seemed to be unaware that any mistake had been made, so maybe this was the best flooring after all.

True story.

I'd really appreciate some comments on this to check that it wasn't a bad dream of that i'm still sane.

J

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I do not believe inspector told him this.  In what state asthis is against OSHA guidlines.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Chef improver is from the United Arab Emirates, so probably not in the US.

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    1) White floors in a kitchen are a nightmare--hard to kep clen as any dirt will show.

2) Any hard flooring (marble, quarry stone, glazed tile etc.) is highly dependant on the sub-flooring. If the sub-floor is soft and moves, then the tile will crack, if the sub-floor is uneven, the tile will crack.  The size of the tile wil also play a large role in cracking, as a larg tile has moe surface area and any sub-floor movement wil cause it to crack, smaller tiles will crack along the grout linesrsrr

5. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I detect the aroma of baksheesh.

BDL

6. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The diner had white tile in the kitchen and it was horrible to keep clean.  We'd mop at least twice a day but still it was disgusting because stuff from outside was constantly being tracked through the kitchen.  They had a separate prep kitchen in the apartment above the diner that we had to access using the fire escape, so you can just imagine the junk that was coming through there.

We have a concrete floor that's got a non skid type of coating on it at work... it's good for the non slip coating but it is really hard on anything that has wheels on it, as most of our stuff does, so we constantly have nuts and bolts falling out of things...

7. sumar shahin

sumar shahin

Exp:
    At home cook
    what do you mean he wasn't aware of any mistake made?

8. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Par for course.