Kitchen Cutting Board

Joined Oct 31, 2012
The same one that is best for a professional chef. The worth of a cutting board is not dependent on the status of the person using it.

Reactions: Dre
Joined Oct 10, 2005
All round “ best” is nylon, about 3/4” (20 mm ) thick. The only reason it is “ best” is that in order to sanitize it, you just throw it in the dishwasher. No other reason than that.

Joined Nov 9, 2020
For general food work, PTFE, 3/4 to an inch thick and big enough to be stable on your work surface, just like a "not home" kitchen. You can get sheets of it, pre-cut to size, on line. And yes, throw it in the dishwasher and/or clean and sanitize as per normal. For baking, a good hard wood (maple, ash, even oak works), same criteria, tho you won't be running it through a dishwasher.

Joined Dec 19, 2014
I bought this about 2 yrs ago:

Love the way it looks. Of course, you need to be like me, and be into dark wood. I got it, b/c my understand is that End-Grain Cutting Boards are better for the knives.

Cheers.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
If you're looking for an affordable, durable cutting board, go with bamboo. Its one of the toughest natural materials. It's resistant to cuts and dings. Its easy to clean. Doesn't require a ton of care and maintenance and will last you a very long time.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Yeah, 6' butcher block tables are nice to have, especially for thumping around bread dough or any kind of pastry work.

But as a cutting board? You'd have to sanitize the whole table after using, not just a section, and when it becomes scarred and stained, you have to refinish all 6' of it.

Joined Dec 29, 2019
Yeah, 6' butcher block tables are nice to have, especially for thumping around bread dough or any kind of pastry work.

But as a cutting board? You'd have to sanitize the whole table after using, not just a section, and when it becomes scarred and stained, you have to refinish all 6' of it.
When I was 16 I was a butchers apprentice in lancashire, the butcher block was about 4 feet and I cleaned it as part of closing every day. start by a vigorous scraping with a knife blade held perpendicular. Wash with bleach . It wasn't a big deal.

Top Bottom