Kitchen Confidential in class

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by jim berman, Jun 7, 2010.

1. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just thought I would drop in a little piece I am using with my high school students. As part of the summer, I want to keep them connected to the class. At the same time, I also realize their need to be stimulated (ie. use a computer!) so we are using Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. The students are going to create a wiki for daily readings as well as construct a book review. If you are interested, check out http://kitchenconfidential.wikispaces.com/ for the project description. Your input gladly accepted!

2. culinuthiast

culinuthiast

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    i hope this does well. it's a hard nut to crack (getting people to read at that age), but it's one of those books that can inspire a career, or at least spark some real interest. good luck =D

3. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks. I had used Letters to a Young Chef in the past. While Daniel Boulud's book was REALLY geared to them, they had a hard time drawing a connection between their collective experiences and his. I think Bourdain's piece is just dramatic enough to draw in their attention and deliver them a good bit of industry perspective. Plus, his personality really adds some flavor!

4. robnoir

robnoir

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I think Kitchen Confidential is a great book for summer reading especially for the High School crowd. I know it really opened a few doors for myself and some friends. I think it provides great perspective especially for people in their late teens and early twenties. I know it let me realize that an education in Culinary Arts is just as effective and useful as a College Degree. The whole "Rock 'n' Roll" lifestyle doesn't hurt too much either.