Kinfe reviews for someone new to the industry

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by bimmerman, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bimmerman

bimmerman

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I will be attending training at The Culinary Institute of America, and would like some expert opinions on those who use there knifes all day long. Im sure there is a difference in the knife to select for the home and the knife for a professional. At home i have a set of Henkles International knifes I got for my wife for her birthday last year. I know they are chinese made but are made like the standard german style knife.

I have held a few knifes i felt where really comfortable. Wusthof Ikno and Shun Kaji. Both where really comfortable. I am leaning more to the shun or japanese style because of how sharp they are and how light they are. I know Japanese knifes take more time to sharpen and im okay with that. I sharpen my own knives before every use. 

If I where to get a set of Japanese knifes I would also get a Wusthof Ikon 8 inch chefs knife for more substantial stuff like cutting between bone with poultry. The single Wusthof is the only knife I know I will get. Or at least that style. 

Please let me know your insight. What do you use in your kitchen what will fatigue my wrist more? what should i stay away from? 

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Rock chopping will fatigue your shoulder.  Dull knives will fatigue your wrist.

3. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Can you elaborate? Honing rod? Stones? Jig? 

4. bimmerman

bimmerman

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I use a honing rod.

5. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you're going to the CIA ... use the knives they give you. Worry about getting your own different knives when you get out.

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The truth!

Also by the time you get out your knowledge base will have increased and you have a better idea of what you actually need.

FWIW for 25 years I used a Henckels 11". I now use a MAC 11". Sometimes doing knife work for 8 straight hours. While the Henckels feels like a chainsaw compared to the MAC, there is no difference to me as to wrist fatigue; but that could be from 25 years of using the Henkels :~)

7. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I guess there is a problem with burr removal if you are to sharpen before every use.