Kimchee

Joined Jul 31, 2000
How do you like yours?

I'm looking to make a number of different ones this fall.

Do you like cabbage/Or prefere radishes,or both? Oyster sauce of fermented shrimp?

I've made some with diakon and napa cabbage with fermented shrimp that came out really well.

What are some of your secrets to great kimchee?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
About 4 or 5 years ago Food Arts did an article on some of the different kimchees out there. I didn't realize that there was so many different types, literally hundreds, if not thousands of different kinds.

Joined May 26, 2001
Pete -- I remember that article, and have been searching for it, for quite a while. Are you sure it was FA?

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I think the secret is burying it in the yard for a long time..... One of my farmers is making pickles without viniager...he included fennel, chippoline onions, cukes, salt, sugar and lactobacterium....still a work in progress but the onions, and fennel were good, the cukes were soft.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
My dog Molly digs enough holes in my yard that I would like to stick to a canning proccees.

Has anyone done this?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Sorry CC, can't help you out on that one. Suzanne, pretty sure it was FA, if not then it was Saveur. I know for sure it was one of those 2 magazines though.

Joined Dec 1, 2002
A chef at school, who like to play around alot, made "mushroom brine" or whatever you want to call it. Basically mushrooms in 5% salt brine for along time. The liquid was pretty amazing stuff. Like mushroom cooking liquid (or essence) 10 times over, due to fermentation process. I am going to make some to use in sauces or marinades. Just thought you folks might think it would be fun to play with while you make your other fermented things.

Top Bottom