kielbasa dishes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by millionsknives, Sep 6, 2014.

1. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I made kielbasa today.  Cut up a pork shoulder, cured, smoked, shocked, bloomed, etc.  Wiejska kielbasa.

I'm bringing something to a potluck bbq tomorrow.  My idea is a cabbage and kielbasa dish.  Basically saute the cabbage in some type of animal fat, throw in some spices, and sliced kielbasa on top.  Maybe with some homemade mustard.

And another link just for slicing and eating.

Any other ideas?  I have 5 lbs to use after all.  Something that can be made ahead of time and will travel well.

french fries and oldschool1982 like this.
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Anywhere a garlicky sausages desired. Great in many soups, with beans, with cabbage.  I used it to season up some potatoes, tomatoes and zucchini that were overrunning me. Don't know what I'd call the result, but it was good with sage and thyme from the garden too. 

It's a reasonable stand-in for Louisiana style andouille. I make a red beans and rice soup and was going to use some more of my kielbasa supply in that to show in the Challenge thread. 

millionsknives likes this.
  3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'll suggest rendering down some salt pork for the fat. Usually doesn't have the extra sugars and additives of bacon. Or go with lard, and lots of onions.

4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Of course, @teamfat knows about fats!

So I have rendered bacon fat from my homemade bacon,  pork skin from a picnic shoulder that I could render down the subcutaneous fat, or I have duck fat from when I bought a whole duck and cooked a bunch of dishes.

I rendered the duck fat out in my skillet and a side product was the most amazing duck chicharons

I also have butter, ghee, coconut oil, grapeseed, avocado oil, olive oil.  Those are my options without going to the store.

My main question: any totally different dishes to make with kielbasa?  Maybe some pierogi ? 

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh, home made bacon. That's different.

mjb.

6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @phatch   I was leaning to cabbage because I have some in my garden.  I happen to know the hosts are going to have hot dogs and coleslaw.  More tube meats and cabbage (albeit very different execution).

7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I'm quite fond of it because it's from a whole hog I butchered.  I only have 3 packs left.  Buckboard bacon next round.  Trying to not have a heart attack :)

8. wlong

wlong

Exp:
    Other

Kielbasa, potatoes and beans

9. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    ! A baked beans dish could work.  It would round out the hot dogs and coleslaw for sure.

10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I know I've mentioned this before, but back in the days of "Utahslavia" which was a Slavic festival here in SLC, there was this family that showed up. Three generations, and I think the last couple of years it was four, as there was a great grandchild getting fussed over by the matriarchs.  THE best kielbasa, THE best perogies - would love a plate of that now.

mjb.

11. oldschool1982

oldschool1982

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Ahhh.....kielbasa! One of the eight great wonders of the world. Growing up in Chicago (Daaaaa Bulls) and spending a great amount of time north of the border......Illinois/Wisconsin border that is....I can only think of one better sausage....Italian!

The cabbage sounds great, maybe I'd choose a sweet and sour red cabbage. Sauteed with redskin potatoes, sliced onion or green onions and maybe, just maybe a couple Jalps then smothered in shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (Wisconsin on that too) what else is there.

Personally, on a nice Gonnella French bread roll with some Plochmann's or Mister Mustard, some sauerkraut and a sprinkle of toasted caraway seed.

How about......grilled rye, Swiss, Sauerkraut, thousand or remoulad or even a good spicy mustard..........

If you continue to have troubles finding options, the last option is to send some to me! Hehehe

:edited for spelling.

second edit: Go ahead and render some of that bacon fat, using the meat too, in the idea with the potatoes.....I forgot about that since I can't make it that way these days....or any days in the future...doohhh!!!!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  12. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like it in a sausage, white bean and kale soup when it's cold out. Garlic, onions, sweet potato or carrot to season it.

13. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Good suggestions everyone! I'm bringing 2 links to the party and I have 2 for myself so I'll try out many of these over the next few weeks. Keep em coming :)

It's funny you mentioned caraway seed. Great minds! There are dozens of varieties of kielbasa, including some smoked and dried ones called hunter's sausage. Out of those, one spicing is juniper and another uses caraway for some zip. Here in the New World, wiejska kielbasa is king. It's what I make the most just because I like smoking. Anyway I added a little bit of toasted caraway seed in this one. You might say it's like a hybrid. Doesn't fit any of the traditional kielbasa I know of, but I hope it keeps their integrity.

14. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My favorite way of doing cabbage is to slice half-inch, rinse and shake out, throw in pot with sprinkle of whole caraway (as I hear any good Pole will tell you), S+P, olive oil over the top, and simmer for half-hour, no added liquid.  Beautiful light sweetness on its own usually but often I add just a bit of sugar which some cabbage needs to begin with.

Rick

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like it in stir fries.  

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Red cabbage sauteed in bacon drippins' with sliced tart apples and pierogies.

17. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I like chopped up kielbasa in my sauerkraut.  

18. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You should also try a kielbasa salad. Very easy, just sliced with onions and a vinaigrette. And add some sliced Swiss cheese if you like/img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

19. wlong

wlong

Exp:
    Other
    Do you have any left? This is a favorite of mine.  Red beans and rice. (Not my picture)

[​IMG]

20. raisin

raisin

Exp:
    Other
    I like to serve my kielbasa with sauerkraut and peaches, it's a mixed crowd pleaser and fast and simple. Slice your sausage longwise and heavily brown in a skillet and reserve. Add a little caraway, red pepper and cinnamon to the pan and toast briefly before adding a package/jar of sauerkraut and heating till hot. When ready to serve, fold (carefully) in a jar of Del Monte sliced peaches, juice and all. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve with your crispy kielbasa. Da women loves it...