Khonom Krog

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pationate chef, Jan 29, 2005.

1. pationate chef

pationate chef

I am looking for a recipe for Khanom Krog a sweet dessert I had
    at a restaurant in Cambodia. They are cooked in a pan with half moon indentations. They are crispy on the outside and custard like on the inside and are served hot.

Pationate Chef
    [email protected]

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I also found a recipe for Khanom Krok in Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food. She says it can be cooked in a Danish aebelskiver pan or a pan for gem scones, on the stovetop or in the oven.

This is a paraphrase of her recipe:

For 24 pieces, combine 1 cup raw rice, 4 tablespoons cooked rice, 1 cup freshly grated coconut, a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of sugar with 3 cups boiling water. Let sit until cold, then puree in a blender.

Meanwhile, mix 1/2 cup thick coconut milk with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and set aside. Chop 1 scallion (green/spring onion), prepare 2 tablespoons of corn kernels, and pound enough dried shrimp to make 2 tablespoons powder.

Heat the pan and brush the indentations with oil. Pour in the batter almost to fill each indentation. Cook over low heat or in a 425 degree F oven until firm. Top each cake with 1 teaspoon of the coconut milk mixture and a sprinkle of scallion, a few corn kernels, or pinch of powdered shrimp. Cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Check if the outside of the cakes is browned and crisp; if so, remove from the pan and place on a wire rack. Serve warm.

4. pationate chef

pationate chef

Thanks very much for the recipe, but I already found this recipe which is more or a savory version of what I had. The way they cooked it there was a single batter which was poured into the indentations, cooked and put together to make a round custard like dessert with no addition of onion or any other savory components.

Pationate Chef