Ketchup texture

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by wants2learn, Feb 13, 2013.

1. wants2learn

wants2learn

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi everyone,

I have been trying make my own ketchup. I found a recipe online and made some minor modifications to suit my own tastes. Now I have the flavor I want from my ketchup, but the catch is that due to the various spices I have incorporated it has a grainy/gritty texture to it. Is there a way to get a smoother texture to it without thinning its consistency (I like it somewhat thick rather than soupy).

Thanks,

Matthew

2. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Did you try a hight speed blender to get it smoother ?

3. wants2learn

wants2learn

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I didn't even think about that. I don't own a blender, but I have a mini food processor and I'll see if that does the trick. Thanks for the tip, berndy.

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    After you blend it, you can also pass it through a fine chinois or a drum sieve with whichever screen is small enough for the result you want. 

ellesmall likes this.
  5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I would first make sure you turn all your spices into a very fine powder, for example with a coffee grinder, or even a mortar & pestle - BEFORE you mix them with the liquids. 

ellesmall likes this.
  6. wants2learn

wants2learn

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for the additional tips, chefwriter and French Fries. After following berndy's advice that definitely helped, but it was still slightly gritty in its texture, so I think the next batch I make I will apply the methods you have described and see what happens. Thanks again. I appreciate everyone taking time to help me.

- Matthew

7. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    An old fashioned food mill might have als helped.Too bad that they seem to be no longer around.

8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Most ketchup recipes I see say tie the spices in cheesecloth so they can be removed after cooking.