Chef Forum banner

Keeping your restaurant and staff during the global crisis

10K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  mystickrewe 
#1 ·
Here in Chicago the governor has closed all restaurant and bars for dine in. Restaurants are allowed to provide pickup and delivery options which is helping to keep restaurants afloat. However fine dining restaurants like Alinea who employee many people have no option and it is has been reported that the restaurant group has had to refund over 300,000 in Tok reservations.

My wife and I are opting instead of hoarding food from the grocery stores to support our local restaurants and purchase carry out / take away. I sincerely hope that all of the culinary professionals here are able to keep their restaurants going to some degree and that people will see the need to support their local restaurants. This discussion thread is to discuss ideas of how your keeping your restaurant and staff during this challenging time.

#2 ·
My wife and I are opting instead of hoarding food from the grocery stores to support our local restaurants and purchase carry out / take away.
That suggestion has been made locally here on social media. Everybody is encouraged to purchase take-out twice a week.

Truly sad though is that everyone prepped for St.Patrick's day before the closings were ordered. One pub/restaurant is giving away corned beef and cabbage dinners until they run out. Hopefully customers will want Guinness to go with it.

Another said that they are stuck with 400 lbs of corned beef.

#3 ·
I wish I had good ideas to offer. There's been no coherent Federal response, just a patchwork array of state and local efforts. In Bozeman, MT where I live there's been little change in operations (circa 3.17.2020, natch). The Walmart store is reportedly changing from 24/7 to 8 am to 10 pm I think and grocery stores are slightly curtailing hours of operations but so far I haven't seen restaurant hours changing but it will likely happen.

#4 ·
Okay, all the restaurants in Bozeman have been ordered closed through March 24th. This order doesn't apply to the cafe at MSU since it's the only source of meals for the students.

#6 ·
Once again we have people (the government) telling privately owned business what to do and what's best for them without any first hand knowledge of how it will affect things. It's easy to sign a piece of paper and tell all the bars and restaurants to close or try and survive on take out orders but in reality a large portion of workers will be laid off and many businesses will be closed forever.

I would think more people getting exposed to build antibodies would be a good thing. We can't close down the world every year for half of it because some people may die. And I do not see any of the data to support this being more deadly than the flu. You can look up official flu statistics and extrapolate potential numbers for covid-19. I know there is a lot of unknown but the simple fact that it is not killing off babies, young kids, pregnant women or 20-30's plus being admitted that an estimated 80% will self resolve just does not support the mania. Until there is evidence presented of perfectly healthy people and children without any preexisting conditions or diseases dropping dead, I will keep an objective look at this all.

All we will get from this several months from now is a lot of unemployed people, closed businesses, a recession and the nation's children behind in schooling even more and the politicians from all sides will pat themselves on the back and go back to being useless.

I would love to support small business by going out several times a week but I simply cannot afford it, as I am sure many others are in the same position. I just hope we as an industry and survive this. One reason I went into culinary was because I always thought I would have a job and thankfully I still do but I feel for all the people out there who are not as fortunate.

#9 ·
Once again we have people (the government) telling privately owned business what to do and what's best for them without any first hand knowledge of how it will affect things. It's easy to sign a piece of paper and tell all the bars and restaurants to close or try and survive on take out orders but in reality a large portion of workers will be laid off and many businesses will be closed forever.

I would think more people getting exposed to build antibodies would be a good thing. We can't close down the world every year for half of it because some people may die. And I do not see any of the data to support this being more deadly than the flu. You can look up official flu statistics and extrapolate potential numbers for covid-19. I know there is a lot of unknown but the simple fact that it is not killing off babies, young kids, pregnant women or 20-30's plus being admitted that an estimated 80% will self resolve just does not support the mania. Until there is evidence presented of perfectly healthy people and children without any preexisting conditions or diseases dropping dead, I will keep an objective look at this all.

All we will get from this several months from now is a lot of unemployed people, closed businesses, a recession and the nation's children behind in schooling even more and the politicians from all sides will pat themselves on the back and go back to being useless.

I would love to support small business by going out several times a week but I simply cannot afford it, as I am sure many others are in the same position. I just hope we as an industry and survive this. One reason I went into culinary was because I always thought I would have a job and thankfully I still do but I feel for all the people out there who are not as fortunate.
What an absolute joke of a post.

Explain to me where you get your information from, and also where you got your medical degree or advanced biology/virology/epidemiology degree? You're throwing a lot of info out there that most (indeed, every one that I've heard/read) experts disagree with.

The danger isn't just to one's self, the danger is spreading it around a society to people who may not be able to fight of the virus on their own (i.e. immunocompromised people, the elderly). A person may show only mild or no symptoms and still transmit it to a large number of people.

Here in the US, testing started late and is, to my understanding, still woefully inadequate. So while the number might look "low" to someone like yourself, the reality is there are likely thousands upon thousands of cases not being tested for and/or reported. If those undertested or asymptomatic people expose themselves to others, then the numbers go up exponentially from there. I certainly hope no one you know is in a vulnerable condition and catches the virus.

The reason this is probably going to be worse than the flu is that there currently is no vaccine, and the virus spreads easier than the flu. And while you are correct (at least according to the current statistics) that the novel coronavirus has a relatively low death rate (compared to things like ebola, etc) it is still higher than the flu. Even at a 1% death rate, that is 10x more deadly than the flu (0.1% death rate for flu). And I will further stipulate that the overall death % is likely to fall even more, since there is VAST under-reporting and under-testing currently in the US.

The bottom line is, if we do the right things right now, then in 6-12 months the pandemic might look "overblown" or whatever word you choose. But it's the chicken and the egg...was the outbreak not a big deal because the media overblew it and caused a panic, or was it "not a big deal" because the country locked down and stemmed the bleeding. We may never know, even with the benefit of hindsight, but I'd rather we be cautious and save lives than be wrong and make it worse.

#7 ·
By your numbers, the 20% that can't self-resolve (due to advanced age, pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, or a compromised immune system - such as those recovering from chemo) can't be treated at a hospital because those numbers would overwhelm the hospitals and medical facilities and as a result, die. I hope you have no loved ones in those categories because if you do, you should say good bye to them now.

#12 ·
Two issues there. One, these are the same people who would be in similar circumstances any flu season. Two, if people (social media, news, ect) didn't blow this so out of proportion all day every day people who really have no risk of dying from this wouldn't be flooding the health care systems.

#8 ·
@Seoul Food, are you an epidemiologist? Epidemiologists do not share your opinion that this is no big deal. Perhaps you'd like to go on an epidemiologist's forum and share your opinion. Meanwhile, I don't think sharing your "nothing-to-see-here" rhetoric is very responsible. Our industry is going to suffer the fallout from this for years and I share your frustration in that regard. But I think listening to the people who REALLY know what they're talking about and keeping people safe is our first priority.

#13 ·
I never claimed to be one. I am stating that in my opinion this is a vast overreaction and overreach to a mild problem. All I am asking for is more data, we are making huge long lasting decisions based on what we think may or may not happen to something we don't have a lot of data on. What I believe is irresponsible is just blindly assuming we are being fed nothing but the truth and to not think on our own. They shut everything down here for ONE confirmed case that was later admitted to be a community transfer. So for weeks everyone was going about their business and people were magically not dropping dead on the streets. Is it a real risk for certain demographics? Yes. Is it unfortunate when anyone dies from this? Yes. But the fact is based on data you can easily access yourself without being told from a new station is that as of now the flu is still more deadly and no one bats an eye each year about that. Will covid-19 be more deadly in a year when numbers are being crunched? Maybe, but we need to expect more from ourselves and our government than just having these blanket reactions to everything.

#10 ·
I think we're doing the right thing to close public spaces even if it causes some pain- better that than to see the US go down like Italy. That said, if the govt is forcing businesses to close then the govt (and by that I mean We the People) should help to keep those businesses afloat. That will mean a 'bailout' of some kind. I don't see it as a moral hazard issue as the restaurants are complying for the public good. It's only right that we use every fiscal tool to keep things working. What is the point of civilization if it doesn't pull together to help everyone when it's needed most?

#15 ·
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm not stating that my position will never change or that my opinion is the final word, only the issues of wanting more data and currently viewing the reaction versus the reality to be disproportionate. I have many elderly family and would not want them to get sick obviously, I just think we all can have an opinion and shutting down any questions that reference the other implications (other than health) resulting in this is not a good way for open discourse.

#16 ·
Yeah, except you seem to be rejecting and discounting the reports and advice of EXPERTS in their fields to make your points. I don't know exactly what it is that YOU'RE reading, but everything I'm reading points to the fact that your opinions could be based on what the fringe element wants you to believe.

#17 ·
Just because a professional in a given field states something as fact doesn't make it so. There are thousands of deaths each year from misdiagnosis from your "experts". Again you state that everything you believe and read/hear is the gospel and anything contradictory to that is flat out wrong. Unlike you I never stated that you were wrong and I was right, and again you aren't even referencing any data. You can look up the information yourself from the CDC, WHO and various other organizations compiling this data. Statistically the numbers do not justify the reaction as of yet. I actually work in elder care here in NY and have family that are medial professionals in hospitals as we speak. They are dealing with it every day and not seeing the doom and gloom that is being pushed on us. The biggest concern is going to be the lack of workers and medical supplies as we go into this. There is no new alarming rate of kids or young healthy adults contracting this and dying. So once again unless you and point to some compelling data based evidence of this happening, then if one looks at past pandemics we have faced you can draw your own conclusions about how severe it is.

#46 · (Edited)
Just because a professional in a given field states something as fact doesn't make it so. There are thousands of deaths each year from misdiagnosis from your "experts".
This is a great example of the "exception which proves the rule fallacy."

There is overwhelming support among the lion's share of the scientific/expert community on this issue. Who are you going to listen to? The exception? Or the majority of the experts?

As far as whether it's not as bad as it seems, let's hope that's the case. That's a good thing.

Several years ago there was a big scare about the ebola virus. But at that time we had competent leadership which took the pandemic threat seriously and we took proactive steps to contain it early on. This was not done in the case of Covid-19, and now we're paying the price.

It's a sucky situation, but that doesn't mean it's the end. People are still going to need food. Some restaurants who don't adapt will fail. Some who pivot and address the environment will flourish. Things are different now. They may be different for awhile. Complaining that we can't go back to the way it was isn't going to change reality. If you really think this is an overreaction, talk so somebody -- anybody who is in the medical field right now. They'll tell you this is not like anything they've seen. The medical industry is overloaded. There aren't enough resources to care for just the Covid cases, much less what happens to the rest of us if we get ill.

My place was shut down. Where we're at in New Orleans, the restaurants can serve to-go, but the place I am associated with was so prep heavy they decided it was easier to close than pivot, but I'm hoping they'll adapt and take advantage of things. Right now the owner is researching all the different loan/grant options which seems really intimidating.

#18 ·
Wow dude. Why is it that you think you're right and everyone else, including the epidemiologists that are sounding the alarms about this (because there is NO leadership or game plan at the federal level), is mistaken? Again, I would say you need to hop on to an epidemiologist's forum and set them straight. I'm sure they'll listen to you. So do you think this is the ultimate prank on the world by disgruntled scientists? Do you even see what is happening in Italy? Your rhetoric, truly, is totally offensive and irresponsible. It doesn't belong here, and it doesn't belong anywhere.

#19 ·
You can't have it both ways. You can't say there is no leadership at the Federal level when they are doing daily briefings with your beloved "experts" and then say to believe all the experts. You can't cite Italy as some magic model we should be looking at for comparison to the US without taking into account the variables going on in Italy, all the while completely ignoring the data from places like Japan and South Korea because it doesn't fit your doom and gloom attitude. Since you want to keep using Italy as some magic example, it along with China are two countries that put into place mandatory shut downs and forcing people home. Guess what?> They have the highest deaths and mortality percentages currently. No one is claiming this is a prank, only a over reaction to a possible issues touted by the same people who's job it is to oversee this type of thing. So before you go around with your high and mighty attitude trying to put down anyone with a differing opinion than yours, why don't you cite some ACTUAL DATA that states CONCLUSIVELY that millions of people are going to die if we don't shut down the whole world and give over unprecedented powers to governments and agencies. If at that time you can produce such data I would be more than happy to debate these points with you but I wont' debate your "feelings" on the matter. In the end I may be wrong but the truly offensive and irresponsible thing is your totalitarian outlook on differing opnions.

#20 ·
This discussion thread is to discuss ideas of how your keeping your restaurant and staff during this challenging time.
This thread has gone far far far sideways from the original intent. I would suggest taking deep breaths and looking for solutions rather than espousing personal points of view and "right". Offer restaurant deep cleaning hours to all staff that would wish to participate. Doing this would also make good use of the previously pulled out soap boxes that some responders jumped on.

#21 ·
There is still a grey area here for that as a lot of restaurants don't know if they will be allowed to stay open even for take out orders with the ban on non-essential works from leaving their homes. I know a few guys I use to work with finally saved up enough to buy the business from the boss but now they're having some difficulties. I know for my company we are putting the word out to hire as many temp jobs to try and fill our needs for the eventual drop in labor force and to try and keep some people employed. I hope other local businesses that are deemed essential will do the same.

#22 ·
Gentlemen, if I may interrupt this with “stuff” that is happening “up north” Ie Canada.

Mandatory testing found one “corrections officer” ( jail guard) positive, that jail is bracing for the sh*t storm that will come. Suffice to say the prison hospital won’t be able to handle that kind of an outbreak.

Our indigenous leaders and chiefs have severe knots in their knickers, since most if not all, reserves suffer from overcrowding and really crappy water supply. Should a reserve become infected, our medical system can not handle this.

Locally, two seniors from the same care facility have died,, 10 days apart, and as a result all senior’s homes and care facilities are in a lockdown mode..

According to the last news, the Italians have stopped counting their dead, albeit with 14 dead doctors so far.

And yes, our government is spending their way out of this, but I’m really worried that after this, say a year from now we suffer a natural disaster, and there’s no money left to spend our way out of it.

Having run my own business for close to 20 years, I know what kind of treatment we( small businesses) got from the municipal, provincial, and federal govts., The airlines, hotels, ski resorts, and other large parts of the hospitality industry will get bailouts, the small ones will get what they’ve been getting— nothing but the back of a large hand, and the usual demand of generating and collecting 4 separate taxes for these various govts.

The franchises will behave like franchises and fob off any financial burden on the franchisees, the smaller businesses who can remain flexible and creative ( the anti-theme of franchises) AND somehow make a buck without liquor sales will survive.

It’s all very sobering...

#23 ·
I think this pandemic will require new ways of thinking about the types of social, economic and government systems we use. All have been found lacking so far. We may need a new way forward.

#24 ·
Wrong topic guys. This is a topic on how to keep your staff during this crisis not your political opinion. Please respect the topic. Things I am seeing here in Illinois is:

• many restaurants have converted to take out
  • creating new menus to accommodated this.
  • Not charging first res ponders for food or providing a deep discount.
  • Feeding their staff.
  • Selling gift cards to long time customers to generate income to pay staff.

SO.... WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO KEEP YOUR STAFF. No comments bout what the government is doing WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

#30 ·
Pete, I'm sorry about your customer.

Here in MA, non-essential businesses are now required to close; restaurants may only offer take-out or delivery. Our bakery is allowed to continue to offer curbside pickup for now. We do desserts/cakes/cookies though; no breakfast pastries or bread. I don't know if people will order for the upcoming Passover and Easter holidays; I'm hoping that can happen but with how this virus is trending, we will be dealing with more cases and perhaps more restrictions even though we are doing our best to flatten the curve.

I watched a webinar with ChefDeb yesterday, about how food businesses can weather this crisis; she had a lot of good suggestions. More along the lines of using this time to evaluate/create/strengthen your brand/message, engage in social media, don't pivot to something you don't do well or won't continue after the crisis is over. And, we will weather this crisis; the fact is though, that some businesses won't; but rebuilding is easier than starting from nothing.

I want to keep staff working but the reality is we are going to have to cut our hours (at some point, people with limited income won't be able to afford dessert, if you're sheltering in place, you can't have a birthday party with more than just yourself/people you live with). And so they're probably going to have to go on unemployment next month.

Our wholesale clients aren't having events so until that changes, that revenue stream is gone. My business will survive; when I started 18 years ago my mentor taught me to have 3-6 months in reserve and I socked away everything we made over the holidays to create that reserve. I'm so grateful for that lesson.

#33 ·
We are trying to stay safe at our grocery store here. We are discouraging people from coming into the store while encouraging the use of our call in and curb service.
I'm bringing up the age old story of latex gloves.
Everyone here must use them at work.
My personal feelings about their use aside, I must stand by and watch people touching everything with the gloves, and then their face or hair, then the telephone, the register.....see what I mean?
I am reading information that the only people who should wear a face mask, are those with the virus to protect those around them. Wearing a mask to protect yourself from the virus doesn't work.
My nephew in New Jersey contracted the virus and survived. He said it wasn't the sickest he'd ever been. I am glad he's okay but worry about his future health.
Stay safe all and wash those hands.

#34 ·
I must stand by and watch people touching everything with the gloves, and then their face or hair, then the telephone, the register.....see what I mean?
Yes. Why bother with gloves at all? Employees need to be properly instructed on food handling and hygiene. When they understand how it's supposed to work they won't do stupid things like that. Right now all they know is that they are supposed to wear gloves.

#35 ·
The first ServSafe class I went to was more years ago than I care to recall; but I remember the instructor saying "the gloves are to protect the food from YOU!"

We go through a case of gloves in about a month; there are four of us and two different sizes in use. There are some things I am militant about: washing your hands and changing your gloves. And, disposable pastry bags - the thought of the cloth ones makes me retch!

#36 ·
We were finally issued masks. Kinda the same thing with the gloves. People aren't use to wearing them all day so they are constantly touching them, adjusting them, ect. Not to mention with the shortage they have to be worn multiple times. Kinda defeats the purpose if you touch it all day with soiled hands, then reuse it, but I guess it's more of a mental thing right now.

#42 ·
My wife told me this morning that she was watching CNN and they had John Taffer (the Bar Rescue guy) on. He was saying that after this is over, restaurants are going to be required to maintain at least 6 foot spacing between seated customers at different tables. He can say what he wants, but I haven't heard anything about it officially.

I won't frequent restaurants that pack tables so close that you can hear the conversations of the people next to you, and after this I think most people will feel that way. Even though some restaurants are going to have to 86 some tables, this actually could be better for business.

#43 ·
My wife told me this morning that she was watching CNN and they had John Taffer (the Bar Rescue guy) on. He was saying that after this is over, restaurants are going to be required to maintain at least 6 foot spacing between seated customers at different tables. He can say what he wants, but I haven't heard anything about it officially.

I won't frequent restaurants that pack tables so close that you can hear the conversations of the people next to you, and after this I think most people will feel that way. Even though some restaurants are going to have to 86 some tables, this actually could be better for business.
What did they say about booths and bar stools? If this is true then why does the restaurant industry get the shaft again? They would have to do the same for theaters, public transportation, nail/hair salons, gyms, and more. I agree they shouldn't shove people into a space like sardines, but 6 feet may be excessive. It's interesting that we were growing apart as a society from actual human interaction due to technology and now it is being added on to by this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.