Keeping your cutting board clean

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by riffwraith, Apr 2, 2015.

1. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi all. Just purchased one of these:

http://www.architecproducts.com/Pro...f-4ab9-97ff-940981b47c45#sthash.Sim5zpn5.dpbs

I called customer service, and asked about how it should be cleaned. "Use warm, soapy water" was the response. I asked if I can use a steel wool soap pad, like SOS, and "no - use warm, soapy water" was the response. I then asked, what if I was cutting raw chicken on the board... how can I ensure I am getting rid of all the bacteria. "Use warm, soapy water" was the response. Nice.

How do the rest of you ensure that your board stays clean and bacteria free?

Thanks in advance.

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Use warm, soapy water... and vinegar.

Oil the board frequently cause oiling your board will help the wood to repel bacteria. Not to kill bacteria, but to repel bacteria.

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I wash mine lightly then wipe it down with cheap vodka and apply mineral oil when it needs it.  If I'm cutting up chicken, or fish I use a shield on the board.  

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I use warm soapy water. If stuff dries on board or poultry juices sit too long I use a plastic bristle brush. SOS would be way to harsh and probably leave a very nasty taste to the board. I rarely oil boards unless the finish starts looking too "dry".

5. kingnothing

kingnothing

Exp:
    At home cook
    After using your board for raw and cooked meats, the best way to clean it is 1:1 vinegar to water. This is a way better killer of bacteria then warm soapy water. I will either spray on or pour on this mixture and let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it off.

6. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Wash, rinse very well, set it on edge to dry thoroughly; oiling is essential - but always use USP mineral oil.  Every nut or vegetable oil smells nice at first but will become rancid eventually. Best place to buy is any pharmacy... or you can buy some for a fancy price from  a board company.

Mike

This comes up over and over again

7. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks all!

8. soil

soil

Exp:
    Other
    I wash mine with a salt brine every few weeks. and depending on the boards use some get oiled with walnut oil once a month. 

9. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Salt brine - there's an idea. How do you make it? Salt, hot water, what else? I wonder if throwing some freshly peeled/crushed garlic in there would be good, as it's highly antibacterial.

Others have recommended mineral oil - you say walnut. Any reason walnut is better?

Thanks!

10. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Mineral oil doesn't go rancid like nut oils, which makes it better for wood applications.

11. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I take paper towels put them on board then sprinkle bleach on them and leave overnight. In morning spotless, no stains.   Fool proof way to kill all bacteria. Then rinse

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  12. soil

soil

Exp:
    Other
    from what i was told and have gathered from research the walnut oil polymerizes among other complicated things when exposed to air and the salt brine, and doesn't go bad like an olive oil or vegetable oil would. creating a food safe layer over the wood. the salt also selects for beneficial bacteria on the surface rather than keeping a purely sterile board for anything to colonize. the brine is a normal brine i would make lacto fermented vegetables with, the beneficial bacteria are on the surface of pretty much everything and in the air.

mineral oil is a distillate of petroleum and i would rather keep that out of my food personally. Of course to each his own.

13. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, but the polymerization is of the sort that is prone to oxygen radicals. Not what you particularly want in food. And the polymerization IS the walnut oil going rancid. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by soil  

from what i was told and have gathered from research the walnut oil polymerizes among other complicated things when exposed to air and the salt brine, and doesn't go bad like an olive oil or vegetable oil would. creating a food safe layer over the wood. the salt also selects for beneficial bacteria on the surface rather than keeping a purely sterile board for anything to colonize. the brine is a normal brine i would make lacto fermented vegetables with, the beneficial bacteria are on the surface of pretty much everything and in the air.

I'd really like to see a source for this. Salt doesn't select for safe bacteria per se. This strikes me as pseudo-science. 

14. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    1. Use both sides. One side for clean (fruits and vegetables) and one side for dirty (meats).

2. Get a UV sanitizing light.

3. Pour boiling water to clean.

4. Get a wood worker's steel scraper to smooth surface.

dcarch

15. soil

soil

Exp:
    Other
    the most basic of this is using salt to ferment foods. which selects for lactic acid bacteria and in turn creating lactic acid. this makes other bacteria sad. salt also is not going to help anything nasty thats for sure. 

this is all personal choice from research, observation, and trial & error. someone else may like other methods. thats fine with me.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

16. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Listeria, Clostridium are all happy in salt environments. Pickling is a closed controlled environment, A board is not. Pickling is about time, Keeping a board in brine would be very bad. Pickling brines range from 2-13 % depending on what you're pickling. Which strength brine for your board? Do you vary the brine depending what you most recently cut? 

Compare these two statments. 
    http://fyi.uwex.edu/safepreserving/...g-tips-for-safe-sauerkraut-and-genuine-dills/  This is kind of what you've been saying. But it's really a poorly worded thing and it's far from complete.
    http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Fermented_Vegetables.pdf  Gee, it's not just about salt. And there are dangerous bacteria that can grow in these environments. Lacto bacteria convert the sugars in the food to acid creating the lower pH. There's no available sugar in your board for the beneficial bacteria to out compete the bad ones. And in food prep, there's often no time for the bacteria to grow. You wash it, then use it for the next thing.  

Washing boards isn't about anti-bacterial action. It's about washing the contaminants off. Surfactants (soap) are what make washing effective. The brine does not offer much if any of this action. 

And please, don't argue wood is anti-bacterial. It's not anti-bacterial enough to be food safe. 

Hardening oils is an interesting argument for a board. But it seems to really not matter considering the way boards are used. Oiling boards is more about preserving the wood than a protective surface. This is one of the big arguments against bamboo, The glues and silicas in the bamboo are hard, damaging the edge of the knife. The benefit of an end grain board is that it's very protective of the knife edge. The blade slips down between the fibers a bit rather than impacting a hard surface. The knife use and frequency of cut damage makes the infrequent oiling a moot point for a hardening oil. 

17. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I understand that all oils can get rancid, including mineral oils.

dcarch

18. soil

soil

Exp:
    Other
    I didn't think offering such a simple and harmless advice would lead to being picked clean, But i am willing to continue peacefully. and hopefully someone learns something in the end. this is my personal opinion and how i do it, no one has to join me unless they see it worthwhile.

First off before we go any further, i think its safe to say that the method of preservation for a cooking board depends on a few things. They might be what the board is used for. Is it general use? only for dough? meat only? veg only? no knives, etc.... and of course the type of cutting board and the wood used in its production. A board used to hack dead animal parts with a heavy cleaver needs much different care than a one used only for bread dough. make it end grain or not and that changes things too. we could argue for years talking about how one thing works for one situation but not the others. 

Listeria and Clostridium as your examples don't really prefer the type of environment a cutting board properly washed and cared for likes. the environment of a sealed or semi sealed pickling container are much different than a open air board. the salt has different effects on each. salt and desiccation are not bacteria or pathogen friendly places usually. your point of pathogens potentially living in some salty environments is valid. i didn't mean to assume nothing bad can ever grow in a salty place, just the boards surface. 

i honestly don't measure my brine accurately by percent for the wooden boards, usually a cup for a gallon of water which gives me somewhere around 7% brine. to me its just a regular thing, not rocket science. I do have boards for different uses, some don't even get the brine like my dough table. it gets just the oil.

​no where did i say wood is antibacterial. those are your words. 

as for the dulling of the knife on certain woods, everyone should be sharpening their knives regularly anyways imo. but once again that's my personal opinion and not for this topic.

19. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Soap, Hot Water, Bleach.

20. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    That's the same way it gets done in my home