Keeping Cool

Joined May 6, 2001
Now that the weather is warmer, I find myself leaning towards meals that require less cooking. What do you like to prepare when it's hot.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
When it's REALLY hot, I like to make a Caesar Salad. It's simple and so fast, gets me out of the kitchen in a flash!

:rolleyes:

Joined Apr 30, 2001
fresh garden gazpacho is my favorite hot weather food. I can hardly wait for the good fresh summer veggies to start coming in so I can make it.

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Fresh garden Gazpacho sounds wonderful, Nancya. The sorority is closed for summer and I miss feeding 'girls.' With two adult sons and a husband to feed, I do a lot on the grill in summer. But where veggies are concerned I have to sneak them in. They're carnivores to the bone. It seems to be this way with all of the men in the family. Meat and potatoes non-stop. Is it my imagination or is it a girl thing to go for the fruits and veggies? My girl dog goes for both, and my male doesn't. My two year old grandaughter by nature seems to go for them first, but my grandson goes for the meat and potatoes first.

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Pastachef ]

Joined May 14, 2001
Summer arrived awhile ago here in Arizona...once the 100 degree temps started I refused to turn on the stove or oven anymore. We grill almost everynight. Typically you will always find sweet onions, asparagus, and red bell peppers on our grill to accompany whatever we are having(often fish).

We also eat a lot of main course salads. Our favorite is grilled sea bass, grapefruit, mango and avocado salad.

Would love some suggestions on cold soups besides gazpacho if anyone has one they love! :)

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Grilling, from veggies, to meat, to fruit...absolutely everything GRILLED!

Cold Avocado-Tequila Soup

1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 jalapeno pepper stemmed, seeded, and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup tequila
One 15-ounce can chicken broth, fat skimmed from top
2 ripe avocados (about 1 pound), peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
4 lemon wedges (optional)
1 small tomato (optional), cut into 1/4-inch dice

1. Place the cilantro and jalapeno in a blender or the work bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary.

2. Add the lemon juice, tequila, chicken broth, avocados and salt, and process until smooth. Refrigerate the soup until it is well chilled, about 1 hour. (It can be refrigerated up to 6 hours until ready to serve.)

3. Ladle the soup into 6 serving bowls and garnish each bowl with a lemon wedge and a tablespoon or two of chopped tomato, if desired. Serve immediately.

;)

Joined Apr 30, 2001
that sounds really yummy pooh - going to have to take it to my next moon ceremony. Ladies would love it.

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Pooh, a moon ceremony is a Native American ceremony. Women gather together, talk a lot - about feelings, spirituality, life, - and then we eat. Always looking for something interesting and not too hard to take. Try to meet on the full moon, but we are off a lot lately. Busy all the time. :)

Joined Mar 13, 2001
How about

Cold Pear and Watercress Soup

I have to translate the recipe. Anyone interested?

:p

Joined Mar 12, 2001
Ziggy - How about fresh strawberry soup served in cantelop halves that you remove some of the cantelop then garnish with the reserved cantelop and fresh mint sprigs?

Joined May 14, 2001
pooh - thanks for the recipe! sounds yummy.

would love to try pear and watercress too if it's not too much trouble to translate(what language is it in? if it is french or italian you can email as is)

and the strawberry soup sounds delicious! two of my husband's favorites - strawberries and cantaloupe...how do I make the soup?

Many thanks!

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Cold pasta salads with lots of veggies and grilled chicken are healthy and filling. I like to do the Caesar salad thing too, with grilled chicken breast and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Good with crusty French bread. There is also macaroni salad, and one in particular the girls like at the sorority is chopped Romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, lots of tuna, drained, and Miracle Whip. There are fresh fruit salads, stuffed tomatoes with egg salad, gelatin salads with fruits or veggies. Minimum cooking required.

Joined Apr 30, 2001
gee Pastachef, that reminds me...I have this great dinner salad with chicken and shrimp and bananas and cantelope and grapes.... I haven't made that in a long time and it is really refreshing in the hot weather eating out on the porch.

Joined Nov 19, 1999
That sounds like a great recipe. What else is in it? I can do it when the sorority reopens.

Joined May 6, 2001
These all sound wonderful. I have a cucumber mint soup that uses yogurt. I'll have to dig it up so I can post it.

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Here you go Pastachef! Hope you enjoy.

Chicken, Shrimp, and Fruit Salad:

2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1 cup cubed cantaloupe
8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 cup small cooked shrimp

Dressing:

1 small banana, mashed
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Chill salad ingredients and dressing seperately for several hours. Serve on lettuce leaves, drizzle salad with dressing or toss shortly before serving. Serves 6

:D

Joined May 6, 2001
I found the cucumber soup recipe:

2 medium cucumbers, peeled and seeded
8 ounces of plain yogurt
1 tbs lime juice
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup snipped mint

Coarsely chop cucumber, place in blender with all ingredients except mint. Process til smooth and stir in mint. Allow to chill at least 2 hours before serving.

Afra,
To stay warm in the weather you are having I would make soups and eat it with fresh baked crusty bread.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Here Ziggy,

Cold Pear and Watercress Soup

8 ripe pears, peeled, quartered and cored, skins and cores reserved
2 bunches watercress, leaves and stems chopped, with a few leaves kept whole for garnishing
1 quart chicken broth
2 to 3tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper

As you prepare the pear quarters, plunge them into half of the chicken broth to prevent them from discoloring. Boil the pear skins and cores in the remaining broth for a few minutes to extract their maximum flavor, then strain the broth into another saucepan. Add the chopped watercress to the strained broth, simmer for 10 minutes, then purée the mixture in a blender or food mill.
Purée the pear quarters with their broth through a sieve or in a blender, and combine the two purées. (More chicken broth may be stirred in at this point to bring the purée to the desired consistency.) Add a little lemon juice and mill in salt and pepper to taste. Chill the mixture thoroughly.

Plunge the remaining watercress leaves into boiling water to wilt them and brighten their green hue, then quickly refresh them in cold water. To serve, whisk heavy cream to taste into the soup, check the seasoning, pour into a tureen, and float the watercress leaves on top.

:)

P.S.: A friend of mine had it in english, and she graciously typed it and e-mailed it to me!

Top Bottom