Keeping Candied Flowers Dry

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I know there is a chemical that is used to keep the humidity out, if only I could recall the name. Can that stuff be use safely with food? I’m thinking of putting a package with my candied pansies.

Thanks!

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Just remember their beautiful color fades relatively quickly....about a week or two. If you keep your silica from touching them it will be fine.

Joined Jul 3, 2002
How about using raw rice? It's used all the time to keep salt from absorbing moisture in humid climes.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I think the product I used to dry some bridal flowers was called silica gel. And I wouldn't recommend using it with edible products, as I think it's the same stuff they put in little capsules and packets to keep pills and capsules dry; it's clearly labeled that it should not be ingested. :eek:

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Thank you! Silca, that's what I was looking for. Is it safe to put in contact with food though? If they put it in with some medications like Mezz says, it should be safe to put it in with the flowers, right?

Joined Mar 4, 2000
I have used silica to keep many types of foods dry. I kept a tray of it on the bottom of a cabinet rolling rack, and stored the cookies, etc. above it. Just make sure there's no chance of it coming into contact with your food. Although for professionals, I'm sure it's a health code violation.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Thanks Momo! :)

I got a capsule of silca from a pill container. That should be safe enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom