Keeping bean soup from separating

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by storm, Apr 8, 2005.

1. storm

storm

When I heat a can of condensed bean soup, all the ingredients remain smooth and well incorporated. When I make bean soup from scratch (which tastes infinitely better!), the beans and bean puree sink to the bottom of the bowl. How can I get the ham and bean mixture to remain incorporated in the broth, or is this the nature of homemade soup?

2. redace1960

redace1960

you can tie it together with a cornstarch slurry using some of the
    cooled stock off your soup for the moisture.

3. sarap

sarap

Thanks for the tip. I had the same thing happen when I made my French Canadian Pea Soup. I'll use the cornstarch next time.

Sara

4. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

I made bean soup last night for dinner. Now, I realise I am in the minority (more than likely), but in my soup I used a pound of coarse regular ground pork (it was a debate between the ground pork and salt belly). Fryed it up nicely first in a fry pan. Before adding it to the soup itself, I removed about a cup of the beans with slotted spoon. These I added back to the oil in the frypan, and then re-fryed the beans to a nice paste (IE roux), and added this back to the soup. Adds a real nice silky smoothness to the soup. :D

5. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    whisk.....???

6. andy m.

andy m.

I puree a portion of the beans to thicken the soup.