Katrina and restaurant workers

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by txacoli, Sep 1, 2005.

1. txacoli

txacoli

We are offering a room in our house and a random job in our store/catering outfit to a food worker from New Orleans. We have a spare room (queen bed, own bath) and at least SOME work in our kitchen and store on the Central Coast of California for the next few months.

It is clear that there will be no restaurant work in New Orleans for months, except for cleaning, rebuilding, etc. It doesn't seem likely that there will even be anywhere to live, either. If there is a food worker that wants to escape for a couple of months, make some money, and regroup....let me know.

I would encourage sister and brother chefs and owners to do something similar, where you can. You can post an offering on Craig's List (www.craigslist.org). Navigate to the New Orleans site, and use either lost and found, or hospitality job offers. Just a glance through the lost and found will both ruin your day.....and make you feel incredibly lucky in your life.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Bravo,
    I just recieved an e-mail from a media person in STL who is organizing a restaurant night where restaurants will donate a % of their proceeds to the relief efforts through the Salvation Army.

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    That is really generous! Bless you.
    I could not get to the link.
    I will keep my ears open. We are expecting 25,000 people to end up here.
    Pan

4. tigerwoman

tigerwoman

I took the liberty of copying your post to another catering forum - catersource.com - because I think your idea and generousity may spark others in our community to reach out to people who have truly lost so much!

Let us know how it works out.

We are thinking of contacting FEMA and offering the services of our mobile kitchen for a few weeks - along with our labor - there will be people needing feeding for monthes to come!

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    There are 84+ restaurants now participating in STL some are donating 25% of the take from this next Thurs/Fri meals. www.saucemagazine.com has the info if any other cities want to copy it.

I've got 10 days off starting Sun.....