Kasumi, money badly spent?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by reedux, Dec 25, 2009.

1. mikecable

mikecable

Exp:
    Other
    I have to back BDL on those MACs.  If you want a cool Japanese single-edge to play with, well, they're fun, a totally different style of cutting, expensive, a totally different maintenance structure, *must* be kept sharp and straight.  I don't see them as practical for either most home chefs, or Euro trained working chefs.  The MACs (yeah, love the pro) have all the advantages of the Japanese steel, with few of the disadvantages.  They are slightly lower Rockwell, but very tough.  Good point that high Rockwell doesn't necessarily equal best toughness and longest lasting edge.

So, in real life use, they take a beautifully sharp edge like Japanese knives will, but they're comparatively un-finicky about nicking and chipping.  MAC is a company that is obsessive about its steel recipes, and I think they do a great job of coming up with something that's great for cutting stuff in the kitchen, and keeps an edge, rather than being flashy.  Definitely not as twitchy as Shun can be, though I have 2 Shuns and like them fine...as long as you don't beat them up. The service and support *is* amazing.  The knives are Japanese, but the company is based in California.  If you call them, as often as not you'll get Harold, the CEO will answer the phone and talk your ear off for half an hour about knife design.

Some of those cool Kikuichis and Nenox's are fun to play with, though.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    According to http://www.macknife.com/ , the HQ for MAC are a little bit north of LA /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

[​IMG] MAC Knife, Inc.

9624 Kiefer Blvd. #1
    Sacramento, CA 95827-3822
    U.S.A.
    phone: MAC-Knife (888-622-5643)
    fax: 916-854-9974

email:
    for information and orders, [email protected]
    for warranty issues, [email protected]

And YES, Harold LOVES to talk and, if you catch him live, say at a trade show, he also loves to demonstrate his knives and what they can do. He IS pretty accomplished at making garnishes as well.

He'll also show you the "technique" for his non-western knives, which can be eye-opening!

3. mikecable

mikecable

Exp:
    Other
    Hi Pete:

Thanks for the correction!  Somebody else already, quite correctly, called me on that.  It's typical that I'd trip over a detail like that.  I just hope I got close to reality on the rest of the post.

Mike

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    AFAIC, you're "on the mark"!

I've been a MAC user since, oh, 2000 or so...

5. rachelshuang

rachelshuang

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi everyone ! 

For my part I live in Singapore and I am a professional chef. 

I found a supplier 2 years ago (Fuluxe) which sell me chef knives. 

The chef knife I use since 2 years come from the brand Perceval and I am really satisfied :)

6. webstar

webstar

Exp:
    chef 30 years
    had my kasumi damascus santoku for about 7 years,its had really heavy use.
    the balance of the knife is superb.
    the handle shape and pakka wood construction are very comfortable and hardwearing.
    the blade holds an edge all day and is very sharp.
    this is my go to knife....i no longer look at other santoku knives,i already have the best.
    hope this helps.

7. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Not sure about the need to revive this thread...