Chef Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts
Soft steel "and" terrible geometry, why bother? These are not fixer-uppers.

O'Sullivan, return them to Amazon, take the money and buy some real knives, tell your dad knives are something very personal and thank him for making it possible for you to get your dream knives.

Well, yes I'm new to the "nicer side" of kitchen knives. Biggest I've went was done pos "chef" knife from freaking Walmart. I kept seeing stuff on kamikoto knives, so I looked up reviews and videos and got suckered into it for 254.20 on a 3 knife set. Then out of curiosity I find this gem of a thread. Now their knives sound like a polished turd, but in panic mode I canceled my unshipped order and for their blades being garbage their reply on my cancellation email was prompt, polite, and accurate as I received an email from Amazon pay as well stating I would receive a full refund and that my order was cancelled. Now my question to you gentlemen and ladies with experience in quality kitchen knives is what would be your suggestions on a knife or knife set in that $300 or below price range?

Do you know anyone who's serious about sharpening? I would say that the proof in the pudding lies there.
On a scale of 1-10 on experience with kitchen knives I'm at around 0.5, but I hunt alot and have experience with field dressing knives and how to sharpen them to the point I can shave. From what I know there, if the steel doesnt have some flexibility it will break easy and if the steel isnt hard enough to hold an edge for any amount of time in the field you might as well throw it over your left shoulder because it will leave you stranded when you need it. Clearly kitchen knives dont hold the same consequences for you if they dont hold an edge, but if your gonna pay good money for a knife why would you want something you may or may not have to continually sharpen to use everyday?

I really meant, if you have these knives and can't return them, I'd be interested to know how they sharpen. Badly, I suspect.

My recommendation is always Masamoto KS, but I gather there are supply issues, and the price may be excessive these days. If you can get it, though, it's like nothing else. Pure black magic.

You sound like a Tanaka blue 2 240 gyuto kinda guy to me, or maybe the Ginsanko. That will leave you enough for a nice 150/6" utility/petty, or maybe some nice stones. If you need butchery knives then Fibrox is a good cheap source.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.