Kamikoto knives

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by realbkw, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Tyler Watthanaphand

Tyler Watthanaphand

Exp:
    n/a
    I have info to add about these knives. I'm not a cook, but somebody working in the IT field. I was just asked by this company (or their marketing agency) to wash all links containing bad reviews off Google.

Kamikoto, or their marketing agency are employing low cost workers to "click farm" The Amazon page with fake reviews to drop cheftalk.com's reviews to the bottom.

Basically the task to these low cost workers was this. Google "Kamikoto knives" and "Kamikoto knives review". Click the link of the google results only if the website is either Amazon, or the Kamikoto official website.

benuser and phatch like this.
  2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If that is true, it’s rather despicable. How much money were they offering to cleanse Google? Is it difficult to do?

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't think it's as effective as links from high reputation sites. Googles formula is fairly robust to this kind of gamesmanship anymore.

4. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The work is one still in progress I guess as there are still several bad reviews of the knives on the first page of a google. They have buried the cheftalk posts though.

5. Smilemptysoul

Smilemptysoul

Exp:
    I appreciate the comments on these. I ordered them for the "discounted" price of $279. I have not received them yet, but will be returning them unopened as soon as I do. I got suckered into the huge discount, as I have been wanting some good knives for a while now. Saw the good reviews without realizing the company pays people to do them. This kind of behavior is unacceptable from a company and I hope this thread comes up in more google searches.

6. Ninacooks

Ninacooks

Exp:
    Chef
    I have a friend who unfortunately did the same thing. If it hasn't shipped yet you can cancel the order and be fully refunded

7. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    a reputable knife maker is not going to advertise a knife for $600 then allow someone to sell it for $280. the website video is too pat, the red hot steel, the flying sparks, the dripping sweat, the secret Japanese steel. not much better than the starving college kid peddling similar knives, begging you to buy so they can eat till the end of the semester. maybe I am just too old and too tired, seen too much and can't forget.

8. Grilling Guru

Grilling Guru

Exp:
    chef
    The Kamikoto knives that are advertised on Facebook etc. are not the genuine article. I ordered the set of 3 for $271.95 using the 79OFF coupon code to verify the quality and planned on returning them immediately. As suspected, they appear to be made of low quality steel which arrived scratched and bent. The box is worth more then the knives inside. This has all the makings of a giant scam designed to fool the general public. Buyer beware!

9. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi GG and welcome to Cheftalk, it's a great site all around. Thanks for the input, and of course fact is even the knives off the Kamikoto website aren't the "real thing." They even look more so like the same Chinese crap.

Most of us knew from the start that realbkw and offbillet were pumpers, and oh woah to those who liked their comments, but the current mods like to see us take a conservative approach to these things.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. Swiss Miss

Swiss Miss

Exp:
    Passionate home cook
    Sadly, I got suckered too. I had a few glasses of wine and saw this "amazing offer that could not be ignored." The price didn't seem too bad, so I ordered them. People complained saying that they took weeks/months to arrive so I ordered over Christmas break thinking that they wouldn't come while I was away. Wrong. The package was delivered superfast while my friends were at my place.

I have not used them but was apprehensive from the get go since the wooden box came broken. "Each box is meticulously checked before shipping." Not. The clasp was broken and there is no way that shipping would have done that sort of damage. Then when I look at the fine print, you know the print that you cannot see when you are ordering, once an order has been placed, you cannot cancel it. You only have 14 days to return them (hopefully they will not harass me on this since I wasn't here - so far they haven't and said that I can). BUT THIS IS THE KICKER. I live in Switzerland and the knives were sent to me from Holland. BUT...I HAVE TO SEND THEM BACK TO SOME ADDRESS IN JAPAN. And they refuse to accept them back at the Dutch address. Why??? I think they do everything possible to make someone not want to return them. It will cost me a pretty penny to get them back to Japan - at least €60 if not more. And then who knows if they will actually reimburse me once they have them. This is not how a quality company would operate.

I am usually not this dense, so I am upset with myself too. I was just in a good pre-Christmas mood. Merry Christmas to me indeed!

11. Swiss Miss

Swiss Miss

Exp:
    Passionate home cook
    Plus, on my credit card bill, the company is based in HONG KONG. Not Japan.

12. FNCrazy

FNCrazy

Exp:
    Newb
    I've been seeing their ad on Facebook for weeks. They look so good! The only decent knive I have is a Wusthof chef knive, but I've wanted to get a high quality Japanese knife.

I almost bought these on a whim, but their $1200 to $272 discount smacked of fake, so I looked around and found this site, where it seems I was right to be skeptical.

Now I need to search around the site to find high quality Japanese knives/brands. Unfortunately I don't know what I'm looking for when I see it.

Swiss Miss likes this.
  13. Swiss Miss

Swiss Miss

Exp:
    Passionate home cook
    Update: they supposedly reimbursed me and were friendly about it but I need to check my credit card statement. It cost me over $65 to send them back to Japan and then they took another €20 as a restocking fee. So I am out of pocket, but I feel so relieved if the credit goes through. There are so many high quality Japanese knives available...don't purchase on a whim!

FNCrazy likes this.
  14. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's clear (I hope) that Kamikoto is a scam. But what we lack thus far is a hands-on review from someone who knows something serious about knives. We get remarks on out-of-the-box, their selling methods, their business practices. But we don't really have hard data with which to fight Facebook and Amazon shilling and the like.

Anyone?

15. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Page 2 comment by ScottH1 pretty much says it, unverified purchase review or not.

nicko likes this.
  16. Swiss Miss

Swiss Miss

Exp:
    Passionate home cook
    This is the first review that popped up on Amazon so easy to find. Seems legit:

Customer reviews
    Top customer reviews
    [​IMG]
    Nora M. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 starsThe story is better than the product, but the product is decent
    August 15, 2017

During my career as a chef, I have found that Japanese knives have consistently outperformed their European counterparts in nearly every aspect. When I saw the deal that Kamikoto was offering, I wanted to believe in a new company trying to break into the US market. While I haven't exactly been disappointed, I certainly feel misled.

Quite simply, these are not Japanese knives. They're much heavier than I am used to, and despite what their literature may tell you, a nakiri knife is not a "meat cleaver," it's a vegetable knife. And really, the nakiri has been the downfall of my "Kanpeki" knife set. It's a monster. Heavier than even my wa-deba of the same length, with an edge shaped so poorly that it actually cuts in an arc. The knives are wickedly sharp, but they have not been sharpened with any sense of balance. The slicer and the petty knives have been serviceable, but the nakiri--straight out of the box--needed to be reshaped so it would cut straight. It was pretty awful.

And again, these knives are burly. Perhaps it's the "Honshu steel" they use that attribute to their heft, but my hand actually gets tired from using them. They're very comfortable, though, so I just kind of look at it as a forearm workout. My Tojirou and Togiharu knives that measure nearly 2 inches longer are vastly lighter. The slicing knife resembles the Henckels Miyabi knife I used to have is still much heavier.

These knives are purported to be made by "masters of tradition" from Japan. They are not. They're Chinese-made. The Chinese are no strangers to culinary tradition and make fine blades themselves, to be sure. These knives ARE sharp, and unlike the Misen knife I bought last year, actually made it through one of my shifts with their edges intact. But the whole premise behind them is false, and that takes away a lot from their quality. Are these knives worth anything near their MSRP shown on Amazon? Absolutely not. Are they worth the "special" price that I got them for? Maybe, but time will tell on that.

17. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    Knife fans like most of the commentors on this post, myself included, really, really like playing with knives. If there's a new company trying to break into the western market, trust me, we'd be all over it. As a general advice to anyone wanting a real Japanese knife, don't use Amazon. Sure it has some very reputable brands, from everyone's stepping stone the tojiro to William Sonoma's darlings, the shun and global. But most of the "Japanese" knives are cheap Chinese clones, worth less than the box they came in. In general, if you can't find the knife on one of the major knife selling website (Japanese chef knives, chef knives to go, Japanese knife imports....) You probably should dig more around. a knife is so much more than just the steel you use. A well treated cheap steel will outperform the most expensive alloy that's been slapped on a handle and half ass ground. For the sort of money they're asking you can buy some of the best knives out there. and if it's a good knife, us know fetishists will definitely have talked about it at length on multiple discussions here at cheftalk. Do your homework before you buy kids.

Swiss Miss I'm sorry about what they're putting you through, hope it does work out. Even if you have to shell out most of what you paid just to return them, do it out of principle and get a good knife :p
    Merry belated Christmas also!

18. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Oh my someone bought misen and kamikoto? Talk about a glutton for punishment! Theres an inverse relationship between quality and marketing. That for profit college on tv? Not very good

rick alan likes this.
  19. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ahaha, somewhat vague and wishy-washy review giving the appearance of objectivity, dim witted statements like, "These knives ARE sharp," yeh that was a writer not a chef.

The Misen brought in $1.7M on Kickstarter, 2 similar China-based projects brought in $1.2M and 700K. I wonder how well komikoto has done? Seems a lot of inexperienced folks can just suddenly loose it over kitchen knives.

20. KenOfPortland

KenOfPortland

Exp:
    I can heat up Campbell’s Chunky Soup in a pot
    Too bad I didn’t happen on this thread prior to buying, but I wasn’t expecting too much anyway and was only risking a bit over a hundred dollars for the 8” chef knife. It does feel to me like most of the expense of making this is in first impressions. The finish is nice, the surfaces are very precise anywhere the handle meets the metal, the box it comes in is svelte (not that I care), and yes it’s the sharpest knife I’ve used in my VERY limited experience. It’s also definitely not a stamped blade. So the product doesn’t strike as completely devoid of quality. But with only a few dozen cuts through some fruits and vegetables, it’s WAY too soon to have any clue how well it will retain its sharpness. Of course, other posts commenting to the likely relative “softness” of the steel suggest it won’t stay sharp long, but time will tell. So far I prefer the feel of the Japanese-style handle and weighting relative to the old Zwilling I’ve been using, but I’m a complete novice. Since I’m actually purchasing a few different styles of blades for the sake of comparison before settling on what I want to invest in long-term, I figure I can throw this at jobs I don’t want to subject future better blades to? Eh we’ll see.