Kamikoto knives

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by realbkw, Dec 30, 2016.

1. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes well, I and others thought as much, of course. And this was not the first post of its kind on kamikoto. Similar unsuspected praise in a post on Dalstrong knives. We once had a moderator who was very intolerant of these sorts of shenanigans. But thanks for the firsthand Scott and welcome to Cheftalk.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Paul hancock

Paul hancock

Exp:
    Paul

3. Paul hancock

Paul hancock

Exp:
    Paul

4. Peter Janicina

Peter Janicina

Exp:
    Ill make it simple. Pardon for rudeness. Its shit. My rookie friend has fallen for it. Its cheep shite from China. Copied Shun. Uraoshi geometry ( for those who dont know, its the original purpose back geometry on true singlebevel from japan) NON present. No steel specks, same shit as singlespeed bikes from china in nice colours.

600 bucks? For no specks steel? Are you crazy guys. I made my accout only for this purpose. Pls overcome you blindness and learn something about singlebevel traditional high quality cutlery from Japan.

Im sorry, but if you keep thinking its good, you making new victims of these scumbacks potential. I know 100( crazy discount) mistake hurts your ego, but im afraid you have fallen for mischief of marketing pussy(cat right?)-posh look.

These knives in Japan have hardness of 60rql above for purpose. Its precision chisel in a shape of a knife, this Chinese Shit is paper.

Im asking kindly moderators to keep this post for second, because word shit is probably the only thing which might explai it simply and put som damage (needless) down.

millionsknives likes this.
  5. ChefKING

ChefKING

Exp:
    winfield
    According to the company via an email exchange, Kamikoto knives generally range between HRC53+/-2, which is a lower score (softer steel), an average Supermarket knife will be on the same class hardness as these. For those who don't understand what the characteristics of superior knives vs some made up garbage hoax is they should ALWAYS check the Rockwell rating of the knife. The higher the rockewell the more superior it is.
    Even a $2 knife can have a razor sharp edge as many Real chefs know but how long it keeps its edge is determined by the hardness and strength of its steel.
    I hope you wake up and smell the lies they are selling you just like the good old knife ads we used to see back in the days haha

6. jbroida

jbroida

Exp:
    Former Chef
    while not exactly true (with regard to higher rockwell hardness being objectively better), there are ranges that make sense for kitchen knives. Higher is not always better, but in general, you want to be somewhere in the 58-62 range plus or minus a tiny bit

brianshaw likes this.
  7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    A friend of a friend bought these and is looking for sharpening service. I hope he didn't pay the full ridiculous price. I wouldnt pay more than $10 for these.

I'm between wanting to see this train wreck in person and not wanting to sharpen them.

8. Gary88

Gary88

Exp:
    Intermediate
    Hello all, I'm new to this forum but wanted to comment on Kamikoto. I bought two Takamura knives from Chefsknifestogo.com a couple of years ago. Two great knives fir $300. Started shopping again for a good heavy duty cleaver for butchering/carving, but haven't decided yet. Like magic I get the $1200 Kamikoto box set for $275 dicount offer. Started research by looking for that brand on Chefsknifestogo,com and couldn't find them.

Long story short I came across this thread and had to comment! I went to the Kamikoto site and read about their "forging" process. I suspect these aren't even forged steel but stamped (just like the Chinese Henckles line) because of the way they described the process. No steel alloy was ever specified either. Just another Chinese knockoff with a very smooth marketing spiel, as other posters have said. Nice bamboo case though!!

Kudos to the guy(s) who actually bought these and tried them out. Buyers beware!!

9. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
    I've warned Facebook innumerable times to block these crooks. The ads still run.

10. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This post obviously qualifies as the official Kamikoto post for any in future womdering about this junk. We have one already for Kiwi knives, and a reasonable one for Dalstrong also.

It is interesting that here on Cheftalk a person does't really have to post a word to show their intelligence, or more specifically complete lack there of. in some cases you only have to look at the comments they give their "like" to.

scott livesey and brianshaw like this.
  11. jbroida

jbroida

Exp:
    Former Chef
    wait... i like kiwi knives

12. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ahaha, and no reason not to, the post merely puts them within a "sane" perspective, following a comical parade of 1-post-wonders who attempt to elevate them to mythical status. Some inspired commenting there, I'll have to dig it up.

13. Erin Irvine

Erin Irvine

Exp:
    Noob
    My boyfriend bought me the single chef knife, fully aware as he put it, "It was discounted so much that I'm sure its bulls**t, but I went for it anyway." Absolutely do not spend a whopping $675 for this knife, you can find it for less than $100 literally anywhere else. I'm sure its a scam, but nonetheless I enjoy using it now that I already own it. And I managed to chop the top of my finger off with it so cleanly that it took me a few seconds to even feel it. So hey, it's sharp!

14. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We already know Kamikoto are cheap crap, and no one here is every going to recommend them, for any price.

Welcome to Cheftalk Erin.

15. Ninacooks

Ninacooks

Exp:
    Chef
    Why does it matter if they are made in China. They are Japan steel. They are good knives and do the job!

16. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Because steel alone doesn't make the knife any good. The grind, the taper, the heat treatment, the quench all effect the performance of the steel.

Then there is the geometry of the edge and it's immediate surroundings, the attention to detail paid in each of the processes mentioned above, fit and finish and still some more things.

Mr_Braun likes this.
  17. Ninacooks

Ninacooks

Exp:
    Chef
    I understand that. Have you used them? What do you think there worth is? Honestly.

18. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Interesting how many first-time posters are showing up here to pump kamikoto, isn't it?

19. Ninacooks

Ninacooks

Exp:
    Chef
    Not pump. But not being a hater either.

20. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For understanding all that you sure failed to create a cogent argument regarding the critiques throughout this thread.

Saying a steel is Japanese is meaningless. The Japanese make all grades of steel. You didn't address its composition or any thing meaningful about it.

Yes I've only seen pictures. As noted they show inappropriate grind choices and poor quality in the grind. Post some nice high res close ups for us since you have these knives.

Considering the lack of real information about these knives, I'd say their worth is zero, the same as Cutco. Reputable companies share this kind of information with their customers rather than hype and ludicrous pricing only.

Sure, there are good knives at that price point but the makers supply the kind of info we've been taking about and they generate a reputation with test samples to reliable independent reviewers and so on.

Kamikotos behavior in this regard is a hallmark of low quality.

rick alan likes this.