Kamikoto knives

Joined Apr 28, 2017
These knives are manufactured in China.  Notice they are "Japanese-style" made with "Japanese steel."  Sadly there are a lot of knives that try to trick consumers in this way.  They might be decent, but are not worth anywhere near what they charge for them.  If you can snag one for less than $100 you might be getting a good deal but personally I try not to give any of my money to these companies.  You can get a genuine hand-forged knife from Japan for less than $200 on chefknivestogo.

Joined Jan 20, 2013
They are real, in the same way that the moon is real. The CLAIMS, however and the MSRP are as real as an honest politician

​There is NO SUCH THING AS NIIGATA STEEL. It is NOT a steel rating.
There is NO mention of the chemical composition
​There is NO mention of it's RockwellC or any other physical property.
​The knives are made in CHINA
​They NOW say made in China of Japanese steel, but that is only because so many people caught them.
​The VAST majority of the reviews are fake or made by people who obviously have no experience in a kitchen.
The claims of giving a certificate of authenticity should also be a red flag.
​I'd probably place these in the 20 to 25 dollar category not the 650 dollar category they claim
FAKESPOT gives this company and product an "F" rating

Joined Jan 20, 2013
REMEMEBER THAT AMAZON ALLOWS A PRETTY GOOD RETURN POLICY, ESPECIALLY AFTER KNOWING THAT THE CLAIMS ARE SO SPURIOUS

AND, JUST LIKE ON THE AMAZON SITE AND IN FACEBOOK, THE ONLY POSITIVE REVIEWS AND THE ONLY PEOPLE SUPPORTING THE COMPANY IN THIS THREAD ARE EITHER FAKE OR HAVE NO IDEA BAOUT WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT

​I THINK WE NEED TO GET RID OF THE FAKE REVIEWERS

Last edited:
Joined Aug 6, 2015
Maybe also worth buying a Japanese Knife in similar price range to have a reference point

Joined Jun 30, 2017
I'm in exactly the same position.  Received the 3-knife set yesterday; haven't used them yet. My wife was amazed at how sharp the knives are, just to the touch.

Joined Nov 20, 2016
have a friend that will get his tomorrow so I will check on this. where does it says that they are made in China.

Joined Nov 15, 2012

I'm in exactly the same position.  Received the 3-knife set yesterday; haven't used them yet. My wife was amazed at how sharp the knives are, just to the touch.
Out of the box edge means nothing, [especially if you don't know just how sharp good steel can get].  Often times the initial perception of sharpness from a factory edge is created by a burr carelessly left behind, and where a few wacks on the board or some mild cutting tasks quickly make that "amazing" edge a rather dull one.

Joined Aug 6, 2015

[especially if you don't know just how sharp good steel can get].  
This is the part that is hard to get a framework of when just coming from typical worn down or ragged edge thick knives where anything new is probably an improvement. I typically have to suggest against touching my edges (with the amount of pressure it seems like more folks are used to using to check an edge....) so no one ends up with a nasty cut.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 15, 2012
So how much did these knives wind up costing you?  I hope it wasn't more than the 1/6 msrp you could have bought them on ebay for, and brand new not used.  Even at that they are most likely not worth it, and you would have been better off with something like the Tojiro DP.

Joined Nov 7, 2011
There are too many reputable companies to choose from if you are looking at getting a good knife. Don't waste your money on this junk. There are better bangs for the buck, just ask

Joined Jan 25, 2013
They are real, in the same way that the moon is real. The CLAIMS, however and the MSRP are as real as an honest politician

There is NO SUCH THING AS NIIGATA STEEL. It is NOT a steel rating.
There is NO mention of the chemical composition
There is NO mention of it's RockwellC or any other physical property.
The knives are made in CHINA
They NOW say made in China of Japanese steel, but that is only because so many people caught them.
The VAST majority of the reviews are fake or made by people who obviously have no experience in a kitchen.
The claims of giving a certificate of authenticity should also be a red flag.
I'd probably place these in the 20 to 25 dollar category not the 650 dollar category they claim
didn't you watch Master Yamamoto, slaving over the forge, hand shaping the blade(like most Japanese knife makers' videos). Makes me wonder if other companies are doing the same thing.
ad has changed since i made first reply, now says steel from Honshu, same as saying steel from Ohio.
a toishi stone must be a generic term, $210 is a bit expensive for a basic stone.
$675 for a basic santoku with a plastic handle is hiway robbery.
buyers need to beware.

Joined Aug 19, 2017
How humiliating. I had to select the only descriptor that suited my skills. "Can't Boil Water"

Anyway, I saw some knives on one of those bidding sites thar sells some real crap but also some great name brand stuff. They have these knives supposedly made by a "reputable" Japanese manufacturer. I checked out the same knives on Amazon, and they are being sold there for prices similar to the MSRP on the auction site, and lots of good reviews. Did some googling, saw more good reviews. Also got hits for reviews on reputable sites but those turned up being "best of" lists that gave hits for a bunch of mfrs but actual reviews of only 3- brands. Next stop, ebay. Saw same Buy Now prices as auction sites for new sets, and used sets for about 25-35% of that, which seems reasonable. Due diligence, right?

Long story not so short, I won one of the auctions and got the pkg yesterday. Meanwhile, I reopened my Amazon window to look for something else and realized there was a review on there I hadn't seen before, claiming the other reviews were fake. They look legit, but I went back to trusty google and went a couple of pages into the search results and have noticed a lot of similarities in the reviews.

Have I been "tooken for a ride" on these knives? If so, I'll learn my lesson and keep the crap for myself. I was buying the set for my sister, an awesome home cook who just started taking lessons to expand her knowledge and skillset. I wanna get her something she'll get a lot of use out of, and be proud to own.

So, what say you? Cook? Or Con?

Thanx from a not so noob who can bake a decent cake and really good cookies but, alas, do have trouble with the stove top stuff. After several really bad attempts (actually, several bags' worth) at making long grain rice, I finally learned that simmer was not "bring it to a boil then turn it almost all the way off and let simmer".

Looking forward to any response. Be honest. Brutally honest! Thanx!
Hey , Iv been a chef for 16 years and a knife maker for 3, i Havent seen anything from this brand before, a good knife to get for starting, try shun, global, or you can order one from me! lol but i would start in that area

Joined Nov 15, 2012
So let's put things in perspective. All said and done you feel Shun (I assume the classic series) would be preferable. I don't doubt this because just from the photos it looks like the kamicoto has terrible grinds.

Well shun classic is not so good as Tojiro DP, for which a comparable set of knives would be around $140 any day of the week. And these are close to but not so good as the Fujiwara FKM, which would cost little more than the Tojiro. A 210 Fujiwara gyuto is $75, paring knife $40, and these 2 would have served you much better.

As we warned you, not such a great deal.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Go for it, because the question here is not if you're pleased at this time with the Kamikoto, but how other kinves compare to it. And the ones you don't feel the need to keep will make great little gifts for most anyone you know. No one here has tried every knife out there, but Millions has come close, though I don't think Kamikoto was amongst them. And, quite frankly, the EXTREME HOAKINESS surrounding Kamikoto is going to overshadow most anything said of them.

Most of all though, enjoy all that Cheftalk has to offer, it's a great site all around for folks looking to learn and share everything about food and its preparation.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 9, 2017
AVOID these knifes. The metal is soft and scratches easily and they will not hold an edge like a real Japanese knife does. Take a look at what the knife looks like after one cleaning with a 3M cleaning pad. Under it is a ordinary Wustof that has been cleaned the same way for years. The company will NOT stand behind their product and refuses to refund the purchase after 14 days even though its clearly not what they advertised. Misleading marking scam
[/IMG]

Joined Sep 9, 2017
And here compared to a real Japanese knife that has also been cleaned the same way. Night and day difference in knife quality.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Yes well, I and others thought as much, of course. And this was not the first post of its kind on kamikoto. Similar unsuspected praise in a post on Dalstrong knives. We once had a moderator who was very intolerant of these sorts of shenanigans. But thanks for the firsthand Scott and welcome to Cheftalk.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 8, 2017
How humiliating. I had to select the only descriptor that suited my skills. "Can't Boil Water"

Anyway, I saw some knives on one of those bidding sites thar sells some real crap but also some great name brand stuff. They have these knives supposedly made by a "reputable" Japanese manufacturer. I checked out the same knives on Amazon, and they are being sold there for prices similar to the MSRP on the auction site, and lots of good reviews. Did some googling, saw more good reviews. Also got hits for reviews on reputable sites but those turned up being "best of" lists that gave hits for a bunch of mfrs but actual reviews of only 3- brands. Next stop, ebay. Saw same Buy Now prices as auction sites for new sets, and used sets for about 25-35% of that, which seems reasonable. Due diligence, right?

Long story not so short, I won one of the auctions and got the pkg yesterday. Meanwhile, I reopened my Amazon window to look for something else and realized there was a review on there I hadn't seen before, claiming the other reviews were fake. They look legit, but I went back to trusty google and went a couple of pages into the search results and have noticed a lot of similarities in the reviews.

Have I been "tooken for a ride" on these knives? If so, I'll learn my lesson and keep the crap for myself. I was buying the set for my sister, an awesome home cook who just started taking lessons to expand her knowledge and skillset. I wanna get her something she'll get a lot of use out of, and be proud to own.

So, what say you? Cook? Or Con?

Thanx from a not so noob who can bake a decent cake and really good cookies but, alas, do have trouble with the stove top stuff. After several really bad attempts (actually, several bags' worth) at making long grain rice, I finally learned that simmer was not "bring it to a boil then turn it almost all the way off and let simmer".

Looking forward to any response. Be honest. Brutally honest! Thanx!

Latest posts

Top Bottom