KA Mixer capacity for cinn roll dough

Joined Mar 23, 2010
I was just reading Jim Berman's recipe for cinn rolls, which calls for 9 cups of bread flour.  My mixer is an old KA-5.  Is this recipe too large for the mixer?

john

btw, a couple of my books have a weight measurement in parentheses- measuring dry stuff.  will recipes on this site make distinctions when nec.?

thanks

Joined Dec 15, 2008
The KA is not really meant to process bread dough.  The motor just doesn't have the power.  I make cinnamon buns once per week and burnt the motor out of one of my KAs.  I know of quite a few others who had to have their KA repaired after making bread dough.

Joined Dec 15, 2008
I guess whether you need a 20 qt mixer depends on how much dough you will be making.  The recipe I use uses 10 cups of flour and I use a 7 qt delonghi mixer - the motor is almost twice as powerful as my KA.  I havn't had any problems with it.

Joined Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the input.  Here is "a" plan for my business concerning baked goods- make enough breads for paninis, dough for baked goods like cinn rolls, strombolis and a few more things.  I know that I'll need a stronger mixer.  WHich one?  I priced three used 20 qt Hobarts for $1000-1100 this week.  Might break out our home bread machine and do small batch stuff while I learn. 

Things are picking up thankfully.  My sales are up 23% for Mar/Apr compared to '09.  I'm feeling much better about taking this plunge into cooking/baking with that news.

Mike- i assume you mean hand knead?  I'm reading The Bread Bakers Apprentice right now. 

Thanks,
John 

Top Bottom