Discussion in 'Choosing A Culinary School' started by cwhite8769, May 14, 2017.

Poll closed Jul 1, 2017.
  1. CIA

0 vote(s)
  2. JWU

0 vote(s)
  1. cwhite8769

My daughter is going into her Senior year as a Culinary Student at a Technical High School. She is trying to decide on CIA or JWU (Providence). We have been doing some research on both and talking to current students and alumni. I wanted to get your thoughts on which school may be considered more esteemed in helping her get the experience and ultimately get a job after graduation (until she has the money to open her own restaurant).
  2. jimyra

here is one thread that you can view.  If you use the search you can find several relevant threads.  In the long run ether school will work.  After graduating from a culinary program the student will then start to learn on the job.  Good cooks and bad cooks graduate from both.  I believe a strong general education and business are important.  Good luck.   
  3. brandon77

Honestly they are both reputable schools.  I have conducted over 4 years of research on culinary school on behalf of my partner who is an Executive Chef.  We always ask the question which is reputable?

Here are a few questions we asked when searching for schools:

Is the institution regionally accredited?  (In case she wants to obtain a Master's in Culinary Arts, Food Science, Restaurant Management, Hospitality.). I always have to look for the future of educational growth.

Here is the Answer to both schools:  Yes they are!

Johnson & Wales University is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE) of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).

NEASC is the nation’s oldest regional accrediting association and one of six accrediting bodies in the U.S.

While initially devoting exclusive attention to New England schools and colleges, the association now accredits educational institutions internationally.

For more information on JWU accreditation, see Accreditation and Approvals.

The Culinary Institute of America (CIA)—which includes campuses in Hyde Park, NY; St. Helena, CA; and San Antonio, TX; and an additional location in Singapore—is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, 267-284-5000. The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Official recognition of the CIA’s accreditation status may be found under “Institutions” on the Middle States Commission on Higher Education's website.

Here is the link for confirmation https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/agencies.aspx

What is the cost of the institution? 

Will I enjoy the curriculum they are providing?

What do I want to do in the future?  Continue to a Master's Degree (Choose Johnson and Wales might be good).  Stay with a  Bachelors (both would be good).  

My partner choose Johnson and Wales University Bachelor of Science in Culinary Arts and Restaurant Management because he is going into a Master Degree Program for Food Science or Food Technology. This curriculum was a better fit for him.  If he decided that he only wanted to own a restaurant, he probably would of chosen C.I.A.