Just when you think you've heard everything.....

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by markv, Sep 13, 2005.

1. markv

markv

Ok folks, check this one out.

The other night I'm at dinner with my parents and my father sends back his string beans because they're too hard.

The waitress returns stating that the chef said "That's the way the beans are coming in now" (meaning from the supplier), and they can't do anything about it.

Is that the lamest excuse you ever heard or what?

Mark

2. deltadoc

deltadoc

We ate at a popular Greek restaurant several years ago. I ordered the shrimp cocktail. The shrimp were huge, and undercooked. They maybe should have butterflied them to cook evenly. They were opaque, limp, fishy smelling, and had terrible "mouth feel" to them. We sent them back. The chef himself came out with the shrimp and said to us "These are perfect", and set the cocktail back down on our table.

doc

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Chef??? :eek:

4. deltadoc

deltadoc

I told the waitress I wanted to talk to the "Head Chef", and she answered "That was him."

We understandably never went back there to eat again. They've since gone out of business.

doc

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I remember working in a French restaurant when a customer complained that the french onion soup had too much stringy cheese on it....guyere....the chef was a new graduate from the CIA, put on a clean apron and went into the dining room to argue with a customer......

Can you imagine the fallout throughout the dining room?

6. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Rule #1 The Chef is always right.

Rule #2 When in doubt refer to Rule #1 :bounce: :suprise:

Just kidding :roll: I love stories about idiots!

Mark, perhaps they were "Wax" beans! :crazy: :roll: :smiles: :D

7. markv

markv

I asked the "butcher" at a supermarket once for ground sirloin and he said it's illegal to sell ground sirloin in NJ. This is an absolute falsehood, I even contacted the State agency that regulates the sale of meat just to be 100% sure. The guy just didn't want to be bothered.

Mark

8. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Having dim sum oneday with an out of town guest from Vancouver. She allergic to shellfish, a wonder that she dosn't kill herself over that!!!

We ordered Shiu Mai (a pork meat ball usually wrapped in a wonton skin and steamed) and asked if there was any shrimp present, 3 people answered no but we only questioned b/c I knew better, I knew for a fact that these contained shrimp where ever in TO you go to. Guess what, we had to rush to the pharmacy after she ate it.

See what happends when the family dosn't listen to me!!! :mad:

9. benrias

benrias

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Headless Chicken, did they offer you any apolgies for not listening to you?

10. shahar

shahar

Under cooked potato salad.

The server looks at me like an idiot and intones - "It's a cold potato salad, sir"

11. chefmikesworld

chefmikesworld

I was the Exec Chef at an authentic Mexican Restaurant in Ann Arbor, Michigan some 15 years ago or so and our ice machine went on the blink. I sent my dishwasher out for more ice and while taking my obligatory prance through the dining room, shaking hands and shooting the bull with customers I overheard one of my waitresses explaining why...

"The guy that had the recipe died..."

LOL

12. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My mother tends to complain if veggies aren't more cooked. Not mush, but easier for her to chew. I like mine cooked just till the color is set, then refreshed. I prefer them crunchy but not raw tasting.

As far as the waitress and her sitcom-quality response, it was not only lame of her, but of the cook to not just throw the beans back into a small skillet and cook them longer. When DH worked at Mesa Verde National Park in the fine dining establishment, he'd cringe when someone would send back a steak for further cooking. He'd toss it in the nuke, citing, "If they want it well done, they definitely won't notice it was nuked and they'll get just what they asked for."