just some ?'s about cake



Hi  I am new at cake decorating and just wondering is there anything that hardens that can go on whipped icing and hold up like to make figures and flowers?  is there a buttercream thats not so sweet? and what is royal icing?sorry so many ?'s I'm new at it but I really enjoy doing it just need some basics!!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
Joined Jul 6, 2010
Hello Kayki CAkes,

I know of a butter cream that's not so sweet. It's called[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Italian Buttercream. It has a wonderfully smooth texture, it's not too sweet and is neutral enough to add whatever flavor I need it to be. Other decorators prefer a French buttercream ([/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pâte á bombe[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] based) for it's rich flavor and color. And still others enjoy working with the butter-based ones for ease in preparation.[/font]

Royal icing is a hard white icing, made from softly beaten egg whites, icing sugar (powdered sugar), and sometimes lemon or lime juice. It is used on Christmas cakes, wedding cakes, gingerbread houses and many other cakes and biscuits, either as a smooth covering like marzipan, or in sharp peaks. Glycerine is occasionally added to prevent the icing from setting too hard.

As well as coating cakes and biscuits, royal icing is usually considered a decorative icing since it can be used to create many decorative effects, such as flowers and figures. Royal icing is often piped into shapes which are allowed to harden on a non-stick surface. These can then be arranged to create edible decorative effects on a variety of sweet foods.

Goodluck in decorating cakes!
Top Bottom