Just had a customer order a Beef Tenderloin well done.

Joined Sep 5, 2012
I wouldnt consider it compromising my craft to cook a steak well done. I would do it properly and serve my customer the best well done steak they could get. Thats one of the many reasons I'll never need a bankruptcy attorney in my contact list.

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Too wonderful for words....

My advice would be to buy some Ryan's Family Steakhouse gift certificates and hand them out when this happens... as you usher them out the door.  

Good God, you certainly don't want them coming back.  Most of these idiots order iced tea to drink (shouldn't even be available) along with their well-done steak.  If you'd like to up the gross margin a little bit then save a table for somebody who might have a few drinks before ordering and then have a couple bottles of wine with dinner and dessert.

Of course, none of this matters if you're turning each table four times a night in a second-rate hash house.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2012
Never been to a Ryans steakhouse, none that I know of in Europe. Never seen ice tea here either, but I have had a glass of sweet tea in north carolina one time.

Yes, I am too wonderful for words[emoji]128540[/emoji]

Joined Jul 28, 2001
What could possibly be wrong with someone ordering iced tea? In the city where I live you get your iced tea like water. The restaurant usually has their own version of fruit flavored iced tea. Some places you have to ask for plain water. Before you say it, I can tell you I don't dine at places like Ryans. It is also possible to have some iced tea and still order wine later. I never order anything alcohol when I'm dining with strangers. I order iced tea just to respect anyone who might be in a program or recovered.

We chose to work in a SERVICE industry. It's not a intermittent SERVICE industry. 

If we're out for steak and I don't want to eat a Fred Flintstone portion I always ask if the Chef has tails. I really like charred or black and blue tails and because of the size usually arrive going to well done. The more char the better. There is no loss of flavor, moisture, or tenderness.

I understand how you feel and there are many Chefs who feel the same. Usually those are the Chefs that let the broiler cook to throw a steak in the fryolator after marking.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
WOW.

... It's just another opinion (mine) ... but Anthony Bourdain is a jerk. Damn lucky to have what he has, but still a jerk.

Last edited:
Joined May 14, 2014
Why force(or try to) someone to feel like they need toorder medium or below if they won't enjoy it? They whole point of this is that people should enjoy what they order. But i agree a well done filet os a waste of money. Strip loin or rib would eat much better.

Joined Jan 31, 2012
Why force(or try to) someone to feel like they need toorder medium or below if they won't enjoy it? They whole point of this is that people should enjoy what they order. But i agree a well done filet os a waste of money. Strip loin or rib would eat much better.
Well that's all true in principle of course.... but just wait til you get a well done tenderloin or tri tip come back

through the pass with the complaint that "its too bland", "too chewy"   or "meat has no flavor". /img/vbsmilies/smilies/surprised.gif

Joined Aug 2, 2015
Welcome to chef talk. Don't understand what the problem is. How do you spell troll and ego?
Just having a little fun. Are you having a bad day or is passive-aggressive just how you roll?

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/80004/just-my-2-cents
 Originally Posted by Cerise  

Lately I've seen some friction on the Board.  We're all here to share about food.  Please, I ask to be polite,, not "challenge" your fellow members,  refrain from being nasty.  Thanks for hearing me out;
Must be a bad day.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 28, 2001

Well that's all true in principle of course.... but just wait til you get a well done tenderloin or tri tip come back

through the pass with the complaint that "its too bland", "too chewy"   or "meat has no flavor". /img/vbsmilies/smilies/surprised.gif
I understand that. I also think that situation is an uninformed/trained server.

If we get an order that we know just won't be successful, I demand the sales staff explain the ramifications or results at least 2 times. Just yesterday I drafted a letter to a customer to explain that her order would just not work. She insisted on having a cheesecake for her wedding cake. I offered to sub out a piece of the cutting layer with cheesecake, She insisted on no precutting and covering.

She saw it on TV or magazine. I would have referred her off but we did both her sisters cakes and the mother is a sweetheart. I didn't write to cover my ass, I just did not want to feel bad when they tell me it was a disaster. It's outside and I know the servers cannot cut it properly. They'll be spooning it onto plates. I've talked to her mom and hopefully she'll get the daughter to reconsider. 

Joined Jan 4, 2011
OK. ... I'm not at all ... by any means ... arguing with the last point made. I'm just telling of a time that I had the best wedding cake I've ever enjoyed.

It was the wedding of my wife's niece. The food was over-the-top out-of-bounds garbage. Suck-city. Bleck!!! However ... the wedding cake(s) were maybe 25 cheesecakes, numerous flavor-styles, all laid out on a bunch of serving tables. People could just pick and choose. It was wonderful.

On another note ... Iced Tea is a wonderful dinner drink. Nobody with any clue would think otherwise.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 23, 2004
All I drink is iced tea.  I quit the hard stuff years ago.  I liked it but I like living more than I like drinking...although it's very close!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Joined Jul 28, 2001
OK. ... I'm not at all ... by any means ... arguing with the last point made. I'm just telling of a time that I had the best wedding cake I've ever enjoyed.

It was the wedding of my wife's niece. The food was over-the-top out-of-bounds garbage. Suck-city. Bleck!!! However ... the wedding cake(s) were maybe 25 cheesecakes, numerous flavor-styles, all laid out on a bunch of serving tables. People could just pick and choose. It was wonderful.

On another note ... Iced Tea is a wonderful dinner drink. Nobody with any clue would think otherwise.
That works and I suggested it. I even went so far as to offer a fake cake with her decor. Maybe inset a piece of CC for the cutting. Then have precut out of the kitchen. Or even a CC on each table with decor as a centerpiece.

If that stacked CC sits outside, even if it's chilly, there is no way the servers will be able to get a nice portions out of it. They would be better off serving it with ice cream scoops.

Joined Dec 21, 2012
Not saying I ever did this, of course, but a short dip of a  prime rib slice in some really hot au jus knocks the red out in about 20 seconds.

Just sayin'.

Don't jump on me, kind people.

Probably shouldn't have written this...

Joined Jan 19, 2014
Except it doesn't really work on a thick cut. Sure, it takes the red out of the surface, but once the customer cuts into it the blood is there if it's under cooked..

Top Bottom