Just found this site today

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by jen clark, Feb 27, 2016.

1. jen clark

jen clark

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, but I think I'll really like it. Cooking is my down-time usually, as long as I'm not being rushed through it. I like to experiment with new flavors all the time, and have a ton of cookbooks. To me, food is not merely fuel, but something to be savored and that should bring joy to others. Sometimes, it is hard not to be a little hedonistic about amazingly good food  -- anything at a certain Irish pud outside of DC for example! (It was so good, I hugged the chef and was accused of being giddy.)

I don't have any traditional training, but started learning young from relatives, then from tv cooks (Yan Can Cook and Graham Kerr's minimax stand out.) I've also learned quite a bit from food network over the years. I make my own spice mixes instead of buying them, and try to cook from scratch as often as possible.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hello, and welcome!

Graham Kerr brings back memories. I believe his Galloping Gourmet was the first televised cooking show I ever watched. He is very informative and pleasantly amusing.

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Same here. I remember his show inspired me to convince my best friend that he and I would reproduce a dinner from a segment for his family. I was in high school at the time and couldn't boil water, but I had yearnings to be a gourmet after watching the show! ... My condolences to my best friend's family :~)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  4. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Welcome to ChefTalk. Giddy up! I too enjoyed Kerr, as well as Yan, Julia and Pepin.Make yourself at home. :)

5. mattm

mattm

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome aboard! :)

6. jen clark

jen clark

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks, guys!

7. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Welcome to ChefTalk Jen glad to have you join our community. Please let us know if you have any questions about how the site works.