Chef Forum banner

Just found a new way to make (cook) sausage... L&S. What other meats can I use?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pete 
#1 ·
Recently discovered a way to make sausage. Heat up a Dutch oven on the stove top, just enough to melt a bit of butter to coat the bottom. Throw in the sausage. Throw in some garlic cloves, a whole onion roughly cut, an entire head of cabbage roughly cut, and some salt. Cover, and cook in the oven @ 200F for 4 hrs. Unbelievable.

What other meats can I use to do the same thing?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
And here I thought you found a new way to "make" sausage . . . not a new way to "cook" sausage.

I routinely sautee red cabbage in bacon drippings with fennel, or caraway, sausage and I add sliced apples at the end to cook just till soft then add the bacon back.

#6 ·
Basically, you are making one of my favorite dishes, Choucroute, although Choucroute usually uses sauerkraut as opposed to fresh cabbage. Sometimes I also add diced apples and for liquid I use beer, white wine or cider (usually hard but sometimes sweet). Along with 2-4 kinds of sausage I also add diced bacon, pork chops, and, sometimes, ham hocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.