Just found a new way to make (cook) sausage... L&S. What other meats can I use?

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Recently discovered a way to make sausage. Heat up a Dutch oven on the stove top, just enough to melt a bit of butter to coat the bottom. Throw in the sausage. Throw in some garlic cloves, a whole onion roughly cut, an entire head of cabbage roughly cut, and some salt. Cover, and cook in the oven @ 200F for 4 hrs. Unbelievable.

What other meats can I use to do the same thing?

Thanks in advance.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
And here I thought you found a new way to "make" sausage . . . not a new way to "cook" sausage.

I routinely sautee red cabbage in bacon drippings with fennel, or caraway, sausage and I add sliced apples at the end to cook just till soft then add the bacon back.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Recently discovered a way to make sausage. Heat up a Dutch oven on the stove top, just enough to melt a bit of butter to coat the bottom. Throw in the sausage. Throw in some garlic cloves, a whole onion roughly cut, an entire head of cabbage roughly cut, and some salt. Cover, and cook in the oven @ 200F for 4 hrs. Unbelievable.

Thanks in advance.
You're halfway to a Hunter's stew (Bigos)

Joined Mar 1, 2017

Thanks in advance.
You can use just about any protein from ground beef and pork to ground poultry.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Basically, you are making one of my favorite dishes, Choucroute, although Choucroute usually uses sauerkraut as opposed to fresh cabbage. Sometimes I also add diced apples and for liquid I use beer, white wine or cider (usually hard but sometimes sweet). Along with 2-4 kinds of sausage I also add diced bacon, pork chops, and, sometimes, ham hocks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom