June 2021 cooking theme/challenge: flour!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I had never heard of it!
Something new to try (and that's exactly why I like these challenges ;) )

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Seasonings: coriander, cumin, turmeric, chile, methi, cinnamon, ginger, garlic
IMG_20210606_163144802.jpg
Combine with gram flour, salt
IMG_20210606_164352279.jpg
Add water, whisk to a thick pancake texture
IMG_20210606_164556192.jpg
Combine with {cooked} veggies and cilantro
IMG_20210606_164849740.jpg
Fry, a slightly thicker batter may have appropriate, season from the fryer with salt
IMG_20210606_170619502.jpg
Consume, i prefer coriander chutney with mine.
IMG_20210606_173353788.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2011
Chicken liver pörkölt with homemade tarhonya pasta

View attachment 70304

This is my favourite way to eat chicken liver. Pörkölt is a classic Hungarian cooking technique which is something like a really slow sauté with then only minimal liquid used to make a thick sauce. I sliced some green and yellow peppers and one big onion, then sautéed that in lard, added the cut-up liver, fried some more, added a heaped tablespoon of sweet paprika, again fried some more, adding only tiny bits of water to loosen the browned bits from the bottom, then adding a bit more water to make a sauce.

Tarhonya is a Hungarian variation on the Turkish or Caucasian word tarhana, which in this version is just coarsely ground flour and eggs made into a thick, dry-ish dough, then grated on a cheese grater and dried, crushing it with hands from time to time. When dry, you cook it pretty much like you would rice. It's sort of like Hungarian couscous.

View attachment 70303
Beautiful Dish! Very inspiring.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
My entry, the pie crust. Mine come out flaky, and light, both for the top, and bottom crust, with only a few ingredients. The secret is to keep everything cold when making the crust, and working it as little as possible after the water is added.
It is a spectacular vessel of flour, salt, fat, and water made to hold everything from lemon curd to the richest fruit. It can be filled with mixtures of potato, meat, and veggies, and served with gravy. It can hold whipped cream and chocolate cookies. It’s a wonderful thing. So let’s get started.

First, get all of your ingredients, pans, and tools together.

Pie Crust Prep

There is 3 1/2 cups of flour in that bowl. In the measuring cup lay 5 cups of freshly picked and cleaned blueberries. That little bag in the back is tapioca starch, or flour. You will also notice a tub of lard, and a cellar of sat. Oh, and let’s not forget the lemon. All of these will be used in their time. Here;\ an ingredient list for you.

Crust: 3 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/4 cups lard

Filling: 5 cups blueberries

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

5 tbs. tapioca starch

3 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Other ingredients: 1 large egg 3 tbs. milk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Making the crust:

Measure the salt into the flour and whisk to evenly distribute the salt. Add the lard.

add lard Cut the lard into the flour. cut the fat

When the fat is completely cut in, the mixture will look like pebbles in the bowl.

Pbbel stage Drizzle 1 cup of water all over, and stir gently, just until a ball forms.

after the water And now we make the crust. Sprinkle flour all over your working table, or counter top. Remove half of the dough and form into a thick patty. place the patty onto the table and slide around on the flour to coat the patty bottom. Sprinkle more flour on top of the patty.

rolling the dough Use a rolling pin, starting from the dough center, and push outward with slight downward pressure. Turn the pin and push from the center again. Keep this process going until the dough is formed into a thin crust that is about 4 inches larger than you pie plate.

When the crust is rolled out, place the pie pan upside down in the middle of the crust. sizing the crust to the pan Next, cut the crust so that it is about 2 inches larger that the pie plate rim, and the edges are smooth.

Right Sized Crust Now comes the tricky part, getting the pie crust into the pie plate. But it’s not so tricky if you know how. Simply remove the pie plate and set it to the side. Slide a thin spatula under the crust to make sure it isn’t stuck to the table. Finally lift one side and fold the crust in half. Lift the crust and place it into the pie plate so that the fold crosses the center of the plate. Unfold the crust and gently center it.

Crust in the pie plate Now, tuck the excess dough between the crust sides and the pie plate, leaving a half inch of dough sticking up. Flute the edges with the thumb and forefinger of both hands. Fluting the crust

It should look like this when you are done.

Fluted Crust

Follow the same procedure to make the top crust, again making the crust about 3 to 4 inches larger than the rim of the pie plate.

In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk to make egg wash.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca flour, and spices. Add the lemon juice and 3 tbs. of water. Stir until well mixed. Add the blueberries and gently stir to coat. Pour the berries into the bottom crust.

full of berries Fold the top crust in half and place the folded side across the center.

pie crust pick up Unfold and again press the excess crust behind the original crust. Flute the edges again. When the crust is in place, brush with the egg wash. Dust with granulated sugar.

Egg-wash on crust

Your pie is now ready for the oven. Place a cookie sheet under the pie plate to catch any drips. Bake for ten minutes. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F. and bake for 40 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool. Here’s what you will have made.

blueberry pie

Yeh, it dripped a little, but I don’t care. That’s my working surface,and it’s been bleached, and scrubbed, and will be again tonight. This pie is perfect, but needs to cool completely for the filling to set.

You can use canned fruit filling if you want too. I had enough leftover crust for another pie. So I opened two cans of peach pie filling and made this.

peach pie from left-over dough Peach pie ready for the oven Peach Pie
The crumb topping is 1 cup of all purpose flour, combined with 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp, salt,1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, and a quarter cup of butter, mixed together, and sprinkled on top of the filling. It all smells so good.

Sorry everyone, but I’ve gotta go. I hear a pie calling my name.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Far too late (due to travel), but here are the rules. I'll try adfing them to my opening post as wel...

• The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, I was afraid of something like that. My fault actually aa the rules were not clearly posted.
Hopefully he/she will post some more entries!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I still love your pie :)
Me too. Reminds me of my childhood. We would pick buckets of wild blueberries and a pie like that would be our reward. Any leftovers went into blueberry pancakes and/or blueberry muffins the next day. It was quite easy to get us to pick (and eat while picking) blueberries!

Joined Jun 7, 2021
After I get settled in with my son and family in Montana, I will have use of a kitchen again. I have a desert in mind that should be a show-stopper. If I get the chance, I will make it, and enter it at that time, before the end of the month. Still looking forward to sharing ideas back and forth.

Seeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Ah yes: pancakes!
But they do come in different sizes, types, toppings etc.
If I got some time, I'll try and make a Dutch spekpannekoek (pancake with bacon, somewhere around a 30 cm diameter)

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Brownies… a classic American gooey fudge-like confection. Not the alternative - cake-like!

Not much flour, only 3/4 cup, but it has flour in it.

Recipe adapted from:
https://www.marthastewart.com/341199/fudgy-brownies
(I add 1/2 tsp espresso powder and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Sometimes vanilla sugar instead of the extract. Nuts optional (no nuts this time).

C7389E90-856B-48C6-812F-7A39DCF0818F.jpeg

Dedicated in memory of Mia.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-departs-packaging-mixed-reactions-180974760/

5873F8E4-9E86-48EF-B09D-A0E37FD29269.jpeg

and here y’go, the final product. Now the decisions… cut into small squares or larger rectangles, and which to eat first… edge piece or center piece or one of each!

9127F57D-1B91-44D7-8C36-C4F3FA9DACB4.jpeg

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
IMG_20210610_152459916.jpg
Layout control is being wonky.

This is a sort of hybrid loaf of Hazan's Montovana bread and pizza dough. I hybridized it many years ago when my food processor was not of sufficient strength to knead the 5 cups of flour of Marcella's original recipe. I've used this ever since when I need a fast loaf. My current food processor is probably up to the task of the original recipe and I should try it.

Flour, salt and yeast above. Below, after adding olive oil and warm water and kneading, ready to rise.

IMG_20210610_152928887.jpg

Forming up and second rise.
IMG_20210610_164730254.jpg

Coming out of the oven. These are the most succesful loaves of this I have made. One of the reasons I like this recipe is the use of the falling oven. For some reason, that replication of a wood/coal fired oven appeals to me and shows the age of the recipe.
IMG_20210610_173902625.jpg

Cooling on the rack. I've got some oven spring tear out on the back loaf. The forward loaf has a little too, but the deeper slashes helped. So I've got some improvement to do in my loaf formation for better cooking.

IMG_20210610_174017274.jpg
Perhaps a bit too warm for proper cutting, but the crust is good, the crumb a bit too fine.
IMG_20210610_175608817.jpg
Still quite good with clear out the vegie drawer of the refrigerator soup.
IMG_20210610_180241987.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Aug 20, 2010
Sauerkraut water and mushroom soup

IMG_20210613_145944.jpg

This is a very traditional regional soup from the eastern part of Slovakia called mačanka. It's a great way to use up sauerkraut water. First you soak dried mushrooms in the sauerkraut water with some fresh water for about an hour, then you bring it to a boil and let it simmer for about 30 minutes with some smoked bacon rind, a bay leaf and a few allspice berries. In a pan, you fry one onion in lard, add several chopped cloves of garlic and a tablespoon of flour and basically make a brown roux. Then you add this to the soup and finally add some cream. Enjoy with rye bread or potatoes (they must be boiled separately).

Making brown roux with lard instead of butter is common in local peasant cooking, so here's one more idea for you, caraway egg drop soup: you need some stock (could be vegetable stock even), make brown roux with lard and add a tablespoon or two of caraway, fry a bit, then add to the soup, finally stirring in some beaten eggs. It doesn't sound like much, but it's delicious and very easy on the stomach, so it's ideal if you suffer from indigestion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom