June 2021 cooking theme/challenge: flour!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Flour:
Sweet, savoury, wheat flour, rice flour etc
Flour for thickening, pancakes, tortilla, pies, bread, pizza, banh mi, tortes,..
Use your fantasy.
Surprise me ;)
Rules (hopefully) to follow (i am about to board a plane)
Don't be scared to post!
You don't have to be a master baker, cook or chef. Just some fantasy and a bit of passion :)

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Nice choice. Oddly enough I have been wanting to make pancakes the last couple of days.

I foresee home made pitas, arepas, tortillas in mt future.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
And don't forget the sweet stuff!
I don't have a sweet tooth, but it would be nice to see some cakes, apple pie, roti kukus (google it).
And dumplings..... Gotta see dumplings and springrolls. OK, thats savoury again ;)

Joined Apr 26, 2012
I have never entered into the Cooking Challenge before. I have a few questions about how these are judged. Is it visual only? If so, do you then rely only on my pictures I post? Or will you need a recipe? Will you attempt the recipe I post?

My idea for this particular challenge is to make French Religieuse patisseries. I am familiar with the choux, crème anglaise, and the icings, as I have made these before. However I have never used them for the religieuses patisseries. But I have had these in France many times and I have wanted to make them for a long time!

This will be new for me, but not unfamiliar.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I should have posted the rules, but I was travelling and I wanted the theme/challenge up asap.
You can find them in one of the first post of the May challenge, but I promise I will put them up shortly.
Judging is up to the host. So I can only speak for myself.
Try something that you always wanted to make. Challenge yourself (thats where the original title came from). Take pictures, give us a story. The quality of the pics are not important (check mine. They are crap. Due to lack of photography skill, phone camera quality and poor internet (gotta reduce size to be able to post))
Have fun. Make something.
I know I am not the only one, looking at the monthly challenge to decide what I am going to eat ;)
Join in

Joined Apr 25, 2011
chrislehrer chrislehrer butzy butzy I agree. It is a fun way to work with a specific ingredient or technique, be creative, and share ideas. The winning part is irrelevant. It is actually a more of a burden, but a burden I accept graciously. The knowledge I have gained from being part of this thread over the years is unmeasurable.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
And on that note, I have the perfect dish in mind. I am making it tonight before anyone else does it. Lol

Joined Apr 25, 2011
So, Let’s get the party started. I chose a dish that is super flour oriented but the least photogenic ever. Biscuits with sausage gravy.

Biscuits 2 cups AP flour, 1tspn salt, 1/4 tspn baking soda, 7 tablespoons butter, 3/4 cup buttermilk.
11DC5448-53A3-44F2-9510-BA4895C46304.jpeg
Then I like extra meat, so I did some sausage patties. Bulk sausage was ground pork, back fat, sage, thyme, marjoram, crushed red pepper.
AA105302-BE04-410B-BBDD-ADC099E8AA30.jpeg
Then browned the rest to crumble. Added flour for roux. Added milk cooked to thickness and seasoned to taste.
30D29DD6-FA81-47B0-B901-AC25DE19D8B7.jpeg

Topped halved biscuits with sausage patty and gravy. As delicious as it is ugly. 😊
5E7ECF1D-E384-47D0-991D-6999B6573305.jpeg

Joined Aug 20, 2010
Chicken liver pörkölt with homemade tarhonya pasta

IMG_20210606_150057.jpg

This is my favourite way to eat chicken liver. Pörkölt is a classic Hungarian cooking technique which is something like a really slow sauté with then only minimal liquid used to make a thick sauce. I sliced some green and yellow peppers and one big onion, then sautéed that in lard, added the cut-up liver, fried some more, added a heaped tablespoon of sweet paprika, again fried some more, adding only tiny bits of water to loosen the browned bits from the bottom, then adding a bit more water to make a sauce.

Tarhonya is a Hungarian variation on the Turkish or Caucasian word tarhana, which in this version is just coarsely ground flour and eggs made into a thick, dry-ish dough, then grated on a cheese grater and dried, crushing it with hands from time to time. When dry, you cook it pretty much like you would rice. It's sort of like Hungarian couscous.

IMG_20210606_133817.jpg

Top Bottom