June 2020 Challenge - Corn

Joined May 28, 2015
This month's challenge is corn. As far as I can see this hasn't been chosen before and I'm hoping that corn is available to everyone in some shape or form. For the purposes of this challenge, this includes fresh or frozen corn, popping corn, cornmeal, polenta or even cornflakes - corn in any manifestation, in fact. But I'll let you into a secret: I'm not a fan of corn. I find it too sweet when fresh and as for polenta or grits... well, lets say I need convincing! So I'm looking to be lured into liking corn with some spectacular corn creations.

As usual, here are the traditional rules:
  • The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Wow! Amazing! Usually near the end of a challenge where there is a chance I could be selected I pick a possible theme. And about a week ago I came up with corn! I was thinking of broadening the scope a bit by including corn syrup* for the dessert lovers, and corn starch. As an example of the latter I was going to offer up deep fried tofu in black bean sauce. No discernible corn in the dish, just the corn starch used to dust the tofu before frying.

On a side note, when my wife Karen and I first met I remember one dinner where I served corn on the cob, and I referred to it as sweet corn. She commented that she always just called it corn, wondered why I added the 'sweet' to it. Well, she grew up in Phoenix, I grew up in the Midwest. As far as she knew the only corn was the stuff you bought in the supermarket that people ate. Being from the midwest I knew there was sweet corn, feed corn, seed corn, ...

Anyway, I'll be mulling over ideas for this ingredient. Looking forward to seeing what people do with polenta, pazole, fried mush, creamed corn, etc.

mjb.

*: REAL corn syrup, extracted from corn kernels, not the chemical concoction extracted from the stalks known as "high fructose corn syrup"

Joined Jan 8, 2010
The staple food in most of sub saharan Africa is corn, mainly eaten as a coarse flour, sort of resembling polenta.
I'm not fond of it but hey, who am I.
It goes by plenty different names. Here it is Nshima, in Zim: sadza, in South Africa mielie meal, in Kenya: umgali, in Uganda: posho...
I think I'll make something with sweetcorn though ;)

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Teamfat... I’m in a “mixed marriage” too. Me: New England exiled to Southern California. Wife: SoCal with Southern roots. We often get into conversations about “extra words”. I get teased by calling a tie a necktie or glasses, eyeglasses. So I often opt to call them cravat and spectacles. I tease her about calling a pen an ink pen. Leads to a lot of levity. But most difficult is side dishes... me, potatos; her, rice. That’s not a source of levity. :)

Last edited:
Joined Oct 9, 2008
Nice theme! I doubt fresh corn will be in by the end of the month -- it's usually more a mid-July thing here -- but I always have bags of frozen corn on hand. What about cornmeal baking?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Well shucks. On my way home from work I stopped at the market, they had some 13-15 shrimp for $6.89 a pound. Did a quick, light saute in butter with garlic and crushed red pepper.

20200601_084239.jpg

Had I known the June challenge theme when I did this, it would have been shrimp and grits, kicking it off with the first entry. Oh well.

mjb.

Joined May 28, 2015
What about cornmeal baking?
Of course - anything with corn in any guise counts. In the UK corn is not used very much, Its either corn on the cob or sweetcorn from a frozen pack used as a side or for the more adventurous, polenta. Cornflour is used in puddings and to thicken sauces and popcorn is quite popular. The USA is streets ahead when it comes to corn.

I've been hearing about something called Hush Puppies... (which to me are a type of shoe).

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Hushpuppies are a deep fried corn meal batter usually with onion in them. One story goes that the old Southern cook would fry a batch and through a few out the window to the noisy dogs saying "hush up puppies".

A good Hushpuppy is a thing of beauty like crispy fried Okra . . . oh yeah.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Teamfat, when I was a young pup we grew field corn. We would pick it very young and boil it with a little sugar in the water to make cheater sweet corn on the cob.

My in-laws say 'hose pipe" instead of just hose, I've adopted it because it is fun to say.

The shrimp are running right now here on the coast, shrimp and grits sounds like a good plan for dinner one night this week.

Brian Shaw - We are also a mixed marriage and have two kinds of mayo in the house as a result.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Great challenge, Morning Glory.

To quote Brak

"I like cornflakes, corndogs
I like corn bread and cornstarch
I like the band Korn and popcorn,
I like all kinds of corn ALL KINDS OF CORN!"

Joined Aug 21, 2004
when I was a young pup we grew field corn. We would pick it very young and boil it with a little sugar in the water to make cheater sweet corn on the cob.
We would cook it in milk and butter for the same reason, that and to make it more tender.

Joined Aug 20, 2010
Perfect choice! Looking forward to it very much. Corn is not really eaten in my country, except as grilled on the cob and frozen corn in salads and the like. Shrimp and grits? Never heard of it, but sounds amazing! So I'm already learning new things.

Joined May 28, 2015
My in-laws say 'hose pipe" instead of just hose
I always say hose pipe. Hose, of course, brings us back to socks. :emoji_grin:

The shrimp are running right now here on the coast, shrimp and grits sounds like a good plan for dinner one night this week.
I want to know all about grits and I love shrimps (I call them prawns).

Perfect choice! Looking forward to it very much. Corn is not really eaten in my country, except as grilled on the cob and frozen corn in salads and the like. Shrimp and grits? Never heard of it, but sounds amazing! So I'm already learning new things.
Same here really. I look forward to a Slovakian take on corn slayertplsko slayertplsko .

Joined Nov 5, 2007
It's looking like I need to do another dish like this ASAP.

20200216_105718.jpg

That's a mess of grits topped with a poached egg, some highly seasoned shrimp, not quite blackened, and some breakfast pork sausage.

Search Youtube for shrimp and grits and you'll get an idea of just how varied and creative the combination can be. Hmm, maybe I'll try a smothered etouffee style.

Joined May 20, 2019
*: REAL corn syrup, extracted from corn kernels, not the chemical concoction extracted from the stalks known as "high fructose corn syrup"
Are you referring to something like this:

If not, please post this! I've never even thought about this, but I love homemade from scratch recipes, especially traditional time-consuming things most people don't make anymore.

Top Bottom