June 2019 Cooking Challenge: Indian food

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I was sad to miss last month’s challenge. I had some great ideas, but life exploded. Anyway, happy to jump back into the game and I thought what better way than:

Curry Chicken Pot Pies
6F629A2B-B3AE-4EE8-9313-35600EB539A1.jpeg

001AB75B-E79C-41CC-8593-1C249D4DF202.jpeg
EBA5B2CC-F4A3-4AF0-B08A-F18EF0A00AB3.jpeg
Started pie dough, set in fridge.

I marinated chicken in a marinade of: peanut oil, onion, garlic, ginger, lime, red chili pepper, tumeric, tamarind, cumin, coriander, s & p, and an orange liqueur/ gingerale mix. Let sit Overnight.
Roasted 375F for 35-40 minutes. Cut into cubes.
Roasted carrots in a ghee/garam masala glaze.
Sweated onion in ghee
Defrosted peas, added raisins.
C2748BC3-01E4-4EDC-9073-69599660FE10.jpeg
Cooked down curry stock: my chicken stock, garlic, ginger, red and green chili peppers, turmeric, cumin, coriander, onion, paprika, mustard, cinnamon, tamarind. Reduced, blended, strained through food mill.
449EF7CA-E3D7-4A47-B3B5-F6591522904F.jpeg

Made a ghee roux. Added cream and curry stock. Whisked then added all ingredients.
47846D8A-0F74-4080-A6EE-A24AE1BE7A9E.jpeg
19349DA9-3690-4C1E-8CA7-F34391845319.jpeg

Pulled out pie dough. Rolled and placed in tins. Put cover and brushed eggwash. Bake 400F for 35-40 minutes.

43C15D14-D206-4DE4-B115-565DE3E19256.jpeg
03ED7AEB-1B73-4BE0-BCA7-34C5D8418E41.jpeg

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
I was sad to miss last month’s challenge. I had some great ideas, but life exploded. Anyway, happy to jump back into the game and I thought what better way than:

Curry Chicken Pot Pies
View attachment 66555

View attachment 66552
View attachment 66551
Started pie dough, set in fridge.

I marinated chicken in a marinade of: peanut oil, onion, garlic, ginger, lime, red chili pepper, tumeric, tamarind, cumin, coriander, s & p, and an orange liqueur/ gingerale mix. Let sit Overnight.
Roasted 375F for 35-40 minutes. Cut into cubes.
Roasted carrots in a ghee/garam masala glaze.
Sweated onion in ghee
Defrosted peas, added raisins.
View attachment 66549
Cooked down curry stock: my chicken stock, garlic, ginger, red and green chili peppers, turmeric, cumin, coriander, onion, paprika, mustard, cinnamon, tamarind. Reduced, blended, strained through food mill.
View attachment 66554

Made a ghee roux. Added cream and curry stock. Whisked then added all ingredients.
View attachment 66547
View attachment 66548

Pulled out pie dough. Rolled and placed in tins. Put cover and brushed eggwash. Bake 400F for 35-40 minutes.

View attachment 66550
View attachment 66553
A great fusion - the best of both worlds. I love pies. I love curry. There is also an 'orange liqueur/ ginger ale mix' which I wouldn't have expected in either a chicken pie or a curry. You certainly have me thinking planethoff planethoff !

Joined Apr 25, 2011
morning glory morning glory The orange liqueur and ginger-ale was mostly to provide the sweet component, but the underlying citrus and ginger come through. So With the sweet marinade, It compliments the sweetness of the carrots, peas, raisins, and vidalia onions. That is a stark contrast to the earthy, savory, spicy curry sauce.

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
morning glory morning glory The orange liqueur and ginger-ale was mostly to provide the sweet component, but the underlying citrus and ginger come through. So With the sweet marinade, It compliments the sweetness of the carrots, peas, raisins, and vidalia onions. That is a stark contrast to the earthy, savory, spicy curry sauce.
Beautifully explained.

Joined May 28, 2015
The weather is never too hot for a curry folks. :) Great entries so far, but a bit quiet this week. Plenty of time to go... shake up those spices!

Joined Apr 25, 2011
A little more traditional....
Tandoori Chicken and Saag Paneer
with Garlic Naan and rice.
5587D906-9580-4957-8CFF-CB04311D2D25.jpeg

I started the chicken marinade in the morning: Garlic, ginger, onion, red chili pepper, turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika, Garam Masala bloomed in oil and mixed with yogurt. Cut souces to let marinade penetrate. Marinated chicken 8 hours. Grilled, rested, sliced.
0AF27794-0447-4D78-B287-E250857FD562.jpeg

Made paneer: brought half gallon milk slowly to low boil. Added 1/4 cup lemon juice. Strained, rinsed, squeezed through cheesecloth, tied, hung, pressed, refrigerated. (My cheesecloth tie during the press came undone, so I had a crumbly edge) cubed and fried.
E110289B-4F4B-4851-952C-EFF93A6F1719.jpeg

Wilted and dried spinach. Chopped. Sweated onion, added tomato, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, ground red pepper.
5327EDFF-7C09-4FFC-9987-AD0D0D97ED7D.jpeg

Then added spinach, cream, and paneer.

AE244D60-30BA-4AEF-9EAD-BFE9D23ECB38.jpeg

My paneer crumbled more than I would have liked, but overall a great success.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
morning glory morning glory At first I thought I might have used Ultra Pasteurized milk which doesn't curd properly, but that wasn't it. I think I added too much acid and didn't wrap tightly enough. It did cube nicely for the most part, but I had some pan sticking during the frying process and it went downhill from there. Still tasted great though. LOL

Joined Nov 5, 2007
So this past week Karen was doing a meat and dairy free fast of sorts for something involving her church. So always willing to help, I made some veggie broth.

20190610_203721.jpg

20190610_204448.jpg

20190610_204641.jpg

Those collapsible steamer baskets come in handy for keeping most of the veggies in the water.

20190611_123013.jpg

So once again, like making ghee I haven't made an actual dish yet, just laying the groundwork. Karen is out of town for a week, so ditching the meat and dairy free, going full caveman carnivore tonight.

mjb.

Joined May 28, 2015
Lets see some Indian fusion dishes! We need more entries and anything Indian connected is very welcome. Or maybe a super-hot Tindaloo (I'm a great chilli head). I don't know if Tindaloo really exists in India - but in Indian restaurants in the UK it denotes a curry hotter than Vindaloo.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Kozhi Mapas / Kerala style chicken curry, made with coconut milk.
As is generally the case, I took some liberties with the dish. I added sweet potato, cauliflower, and broad beans. That and in addition to coconut milk as the base liquid, I also used some duck glace.

I started by cooking the sweet potato and cauliflower in the coconut milk. Strained out the sweet potato and cauliflower and while still warm tossed with the cooked broad beans. I saved the strained coconut milk for my base liquid.

Then I cooked onion, green chile, curry leaves, ginger, and garlic in coconut oil until golden brown. Added a powdered spice mix of red chile, turmeric, coriander, and garam masala. Stirred briefly to incorporate and added chopped tomato. Continued to stir and cook until blended and basically became a wet masala.

Added the chicken and cooked for a few minutes. Added the reserved coconut milk and duck glace. Simmered until chicken was cooked and sauce thickened. Added the sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and broad beans.

Finished with minced celery leaves and lime zest (another liberty)

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I love Indian food. I’m sad there aren’t more entries, but I’m having fun with this challenge.
Chicken Tika Masala

4BA4F22D-CCFA-401B-B04A-4E5C14A61CDA.jpeg
Cubed and marinated chicken in yogurt with corriander, tumeric, red pepper, garlic, ginger, onion, black pepper, cumin, garam masala, paprika. 6 hours. Skewered and grilled.
FA17A16C-420B-413F-BC6D-99E8B8274669.jpeg

Made sauce with ghee, onion, Garlic, ginger, cardamom, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, paprika, chili de arbol, tomato paste, whole tomatoes, cream, cilantro. Processed through food mill.
AC44E47C-BCB2-49F6-9517-EC9D730797F0.jpeg

Added chicken to saucepan and served with rice and naan.

Joined May 28, 2015
Kozhi Mapas / Kerala style chicken curry, made with coconut milk.
Now, for some reason I've never come across Mapas before - though I'm reasonably knowledgeable about Indian dishes. Looking at the list of processes and spices I can imagine this is beautifully flavoured curry. Adding extra vegetables is a great idea.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Coorg Koli Curry
Another chicken curry from Southern India with a lot of the same ingredients as the Mapas but with a totally different flavor profile. It uses toasted coconut ground fine instead of coconut milk, tamarind paste, and no tomato.

Once again I took liberties by adding sweet potato, acorn squash, broad beans, and kale.

I rubbed the chicken with ground chile and turmeric and then stuck it in the fridge for an hour. Next was cooking the vegetables in the same stock that I would be using later.

Made a wet masala with coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, garlic, poppy seed, green chile, and just enough stock to get a paste consistency.

Started the dish by cooking onion to a golden brown. Added the wet masala and cooked briefly. Added the chicken and cooked low for about 7 minutes. Added stock. Simmered until chicken was almost done. Added the ground toasted coconut and tamarind paste. Brought up to boil, lowered heat and simmered for 5 minutes until thickened. Tossed in the vegetables and chopped cilantro. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
I've not had much time to cook this month but I did make one recipe.

Kadai Paneer

I started by making paneer the day before. I brought whole milk to a bare simmer stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pot. I'm always amused that something so ugly turns into something great.

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

I needed a blended onion tomato paste, but we are in in an air bnb for a month between houses and I don't have a blender, so I chopped everything fine and went after it with a potato masher and the back of a spoon the . It consisted of onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and oil. It was not really smooth but good enough.

I also make kadai marsala consisting of coriander, cumin, black pepper, and dried kashmiri red chili.

For the gravy I heated some ghee (store bought, hat tip to teamfat for making his own) and added serrano chili, bay leaf, and dry fenugreek leaves and cooked until aromatic. Then I added sliced onion, the marsala, turmeric, and the onion tomato paste and some salt. I cooked it a few minutes more and then added some water to get the consistency right. Then I added the cheese and a little cream and warmed it all through. I finished with a bit of garam masala and cilantro.

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0564 (1).jpg

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I'm back ;)
I made one other curry while I was away, very much like the one I posted, but this time with smoked mackerel. It worked a dream!
But no pictures....

Anyway, yesterday I made black eyed pea massala or curry or whatever you want it to be.
10 peas ready.jpg
01 toasting coriander and cumin.jpg
I started by dry toasting coriander and cumin. I had to grind them in the pestle and mortar as my grinder has stopped working.
Since I had to do that, I also pounded red chili's and garlic with it.

02 onions and mustard seed.jpg
I heated the pan, added oil and very quickly added mustard seeds and when they popped I added the onions

04 peppers-coriander-cumin-tomato-garlic - garam masala-curry powder=turmeric-ginger added.jpg
Then added the tomatoes, green pepper, some yellow pepper I had in the freezer, the paste, ginger powder (I was out of fresh ginger), garam massala, curry powder, turmeric. Fried for a bit and added a little water to prevent the dry spices from burning.

05 peas added.jpg 06 all mixed.jpg
Added the part boiled peas and mixed it all.
Tasted after a while and added some lime juice and a couple of bay leaves.
It would have been a full vegan dish, except that it needed some salt and I used fish sauce as I like the way it rounds out things

07 chicken on the go.jpg
Meanwhile, I had some sri racha chicken on the go. How's that about fusion?

11 ready.jpg Mixed in a bunch of cilantro...
And time to eat

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Kerala Egg Roast Curry
Finely chopped garlic, ginger, curry leaves, and onions. Cook golden brown. Add garam masala, black pepper, red chile, coriander, and turmeric. Cook until aromatic. Add finely chopped tomatoes. Simmer down for a few minutes. Add tomato water and bring to a boil and turn heat to low. Add halved hard boiled eggs. Cover and simmer 10-15. Turne heat off and add chopped cilantro. I also added steamed broccoli and broad beans at this time, which is not traditional to the dish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom