June 2019 Cooking Challenge: Indian food

Joined May 28, 2015
This month's challenge is a subject close to my heart: Indian food. We are talking curry, biryani, pakoras, bhajis, dhals and a host of other deliciously spiced dishes. Fusion food is perfectly fine - so long as its Indian influenced. Bring on the spice!

The Rules:
  • The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
Sorry as I am without my computer. I will add the standard rules tomorrow.

Rules now added.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
I like the theme!
Hope to find some time this month as I am out of the country.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
No fair! If I had been selected in one of the recent challenges I was going to pick the same theme.

Now to go stock up on lentils and chickpeas.

mjb.

Joined May 28, 2015
No fair! If I had been selected in one of the recent challenges I was going to pick the same theme.

Now to go stock up on lentils and chickpeas.

mjb.
Not fair to me either as I would have loved it if you had picked that as I would have been able to make lots of entries!

Joined Sep 8, 2015
I formally protest! I will be super busy this month and Mrs Hank and I will be in different cities most of the month. I support butzy's idea.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I do plan on submitting several dishes. Many Indian recipes use ghee as the fat of choice. So, I decided to lay the foundation for my upcoming dishes.

Into the pot it goes.

I was surprised at how noisy it got.

End result looks, tastes and smalls good.

20190604_044456.jpg

Ghee done, on to more recipes!

mjb.

Attachments

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
I hope you do. Anything Indian influenced will be welcomed. Where are you off to?
Okay, this may be my only entry this month. I'm in Europe, visiting family and hoping/planning on a bit of a holiday as well.
But, I want to participate in each challenge ;)

Anyway, since anything remotely Indian counts, I give you my Mr Patak-Lazy-Whatever is left in the fridge-curry.

We start off with onions. I'm about to slowly sweat them, so they caramelise.
Lots of onions as I like them
01 onions.jpg

My secret helper: Mr Patak
02 madras curry paste.jpg

Left in the fridge were mushrooms, leek and a bit of port
03 pork-leek-mushrooms.jpg

Another essential of a good curry:
Ice cold beer :)
04 beer.jpg
Onions are done and the other ingredients have been added
05 all ingredients in pot after sweating onions.jpg
Give it a good stir
06 paste stirred in.jpg
At this point I was going to add yoghurt, but there was nothing in the fridge and it was raining, so I didn't want to walk to the shops.
But I did see a pack of milk and I found some lemon juice, so I figured that will do.

And the end-result:
08 added milk and lemong juice as no yoghurt.jpg
Not bad at all....

Latest posts

Top Bottom