June 2018 Cooking Challenge: Location!

Joined Apr 25, 2011
0CFFC0BC-A2CA-4BF2-81EC-4CC670DB9998.jpeg

The entry can be something named after an area, region, city, etc. (ie Philly Cheesesteak, Buffalo Wings, Bolognese, Maryland Crab Cake, etc)

Or: It can be a dish that brings you somewhere every time you have it. One that you had somewhere for the first time and whenever you have it again you think of that place.

I am very open for interpretation on that part, but I would like a little story along with the entry.

Happy Cooking!

The usual rules apply:
- The challenge begins on the 1st of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
- You may post multiple entries.
- All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
- If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
- Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
- The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
- Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Chicago Dog with a bowl of Texas Red. Syracuse salt potatoes with Maine lobster. Boston baked beans with a New York strip. Hope I get a chance to participate in this one!

mjb.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Great topic.. really blows the doors open on what could be made. My mind is racing with ideas already.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Growing up in the Netherlands we ate nasi goreng about once a week.
This was in the time that almost everyone still though that pasta and rice were extremely exotic. To most, a proper meal consisted of meat, potatoes and veges.

Pictures are not that good, but anyway:
Frying onion and when they are done add the left over chicken (nasi goreng is a real left over dish)
01 frying onion.jpg 02 added left over chicken.jpg

Add garlic, sambal and left over (cold) rice
03 added garlic-sambal and rice.jpg

And done (added a little soy)
04 done.jpg
It isn't complete without...
05 fried egg.jpg

And I struggled getting the eggs out of the pan properly, hence the not so nicely plated final result
Taste was very good though. I had been given some yellow tomatoes, so put those on the side (too lazy to make a salad)
08 served.jpg

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I'll play. It is insect hatch season so I did a fishing weekend. Just me and my best friend fishing and feasting all weekend.

Location- campfires everywhere!

specifically I was at cold and deerfield rivers, western massachusetts

20180602_194404.jpg

the what - rainbow trout

IMG_20180603_200103_672.jpg
EVOO, lemon pepper, salt, fire
20180602_191848.jpg

Finished with garlic scape butter
20180602_192508.jpg
It's not the same cooked inside or if the fish is old.

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
Growing up in the Netherlands we ate nasi goreng about once a week.
This was in the time that almost everyone still though that pasta and rice were extremely exotic. To most, a proper meal consisted of meat, potatoes and veges.

I love Nasi Goreng!

Joined Jun 23, 2015
How about Southern Fried Chicken? Cut up a 2.5 to 3 lb. fryer, marinade in buttermilk and hot sauce for one to two hours. Pat dry season with salt and pepper. Flour in a bag shake it up and put it in a cast iron skillet with 1/2 inch of lard or crisco and cook until browned and 165 F.
I did this Sunday afternoon and served it with potato salad, fried green tomatoes w/remulade, summer squash and onions caramelized in bacon fat and chocolate ice cream for desert.
friedchicken1.jpg friedpicknic.jpg
Nothing like summer in the South!

Joined Jun 23, 2015
I'll play. It is insect hatch season so I did a fishing weekend. Just me and my best friend fishing and feasting all weekend.

Location- campfires everywhere!

specifically I was at cold and deerfield rivers, western massachusetts

View attachment 65127

the what - rainbow trout

View attachment 65128
EVOO, lemon pepper, salt, fire
View attachment 65130

Finished with garlic scape butter
View attachment 65131
It's not the same cooked inside or if the fish is old.
I use to carry an Iron skillet, Coleman stove , can of Crisco, and a sack of cornmeal. As soon as I caught a trout or two it was breakfast on the bank. Those fish look wonderful.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Well, It's getting close to the end of the month and sadly, not much action. I thought this would be a good topic, but maybe I was wrong. I will probably throw in an entry this weekend to drum up some more responses.

Top Bottom