June 2016 Cooking Challenge: Vegetarian

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by morning glory, Jun 1, 2016.

1. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I was going to choose Tofu (Bean Curd), but I thought I might get hate mail! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif  So, I broadened it out a bit. This month's Challenge is 'vegetarian'  (I might still get hate mail). The reason for my choice is that my daughter is vegetarian and I'm usually cooking a meal every night for her as well as other meaty fare for everyone else. But.. what I'm looking for is not simply vegetarian, but sexy vegetarian!

So, no boring nut roasts please. Lets give the lentils a love in, big up the beans and give those vegetable some Va Va Voom.  Starters or main courses but not desserts (that would be too easy). Titillating Tofu is welcome! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  

N.B. Vegetarian includes eggs, and dairy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
  2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    yeah!  I need to eat healthier and with all the produce coming in the summer, this is a great challenge theme!

morning glory likes this.
  3. jah42

jah42

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Here is my first attempt at the monthly challenge.
    Grilled leeks with roasted hazelnuts, capers and browned clarified butter.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    morning glory and nicko like this.
  4. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is a great starter for the Cooking Challenge and a great starter for a romantic meal! An original combination of ingredients: sweet leeks, salty capers and earthy smoky hazelnuts hugged in the nutty butter. I can imagine all the elements working together so well! Can't wait to see your main course./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    vegetarian: Sioux word for bad hunter /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif sorry I had to do it! I am a committed carnivore... off to eat my reheated baby backs and baked beans loaded with bacon /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

morning glory likes this.
  6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've been waiting for this topic. What about side dishes, do those count or does it have to be a whole meal?

7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    HIstorically these challenges have always been one dish at a time not every course of a meal.

8. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]Hi MG. Just a quick question... does vegetarian mean anything w/o a face? My dad called himself a vegetarian, but he ate chicken and fish. Never quite clear to me. Is Vegan the same as Vegetarian? Thanks.

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This could be fun. Just off the top of my head I think I'll do four dishes. One from Africa. One from China. One from India. One from somewhere in Europe. And though eggs and dairy are fair game, I'm going to try to avoid such in 2 of the dishes. Of course, come the end of the month what I actually do may end up completely different.  But there WILL be tofu involved.

mjb.

10. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I was originally sad about this months challenge as I am almost Paleo diet wise.  However, Getting out of my comfort zone has been a life theme for me for the last few years, so this fits perfectly. However, there will be no tofu from me.  Game on.  Good luck all /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Vegetarian means no animals so your dad was actually not a vegetarian. A vegetarian that eats fish is called a pescatarian. Someone who eats chicken is not a vegetarian. Vegetarians do eat animal products so you can include cheese, milk, butter, dairy, eggs.

A vegan is someone who does not eat any animals or animal products. No fish, no eggs no dairy either.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes I know but the OP said entrees and first courses so I want to know if side dishes are included. It's is rather easy to do a vegetarian side dish, and more complicated to do an entree.

13. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Where does chicken stock fall?

14. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Either a complete starter or a complete main course. Sides would be too easy!

15. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes that's right. One dish at a time. And only one entry if you want. I was only trying to encourage @JAH42  to submit some more entries!

16. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Vegetarian means no animal or fish products which require the animal to be killed in order to produce them. So eggs, milk and cheese is OK (although strictly speaking, cheese containing rennet should not be used), vegetables, fruits, grains, pulses, Quorn, Beancurd (Tofu)  etc. - all OK.

millionsknives likes this.
  17. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Chicken stock is made from dead chicken so it is not vegetarian. Substitute vegetable stock? Or use miso paste? There are lots of possibilities.

18. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well, from what I know about Paleo it would be possible to do Vegetarian Paleo dishes. You could produce meals from the following food groups:
    • Fresh fruits and veg
    • Eggs
    • Nuts and seeds
    • Healthful oils (Olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)

19. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @morning glory   Thanks.  I already have a few ideas in mind.  Besides, there is nothing wrong with having a nice rare steak on the side and just not have it in the picture, right? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif   I was super busy last month, but hope to have a little more time this month.  So busy that I wasn't able to get my pork belly (from the April challenge) smoked in time and had to toss it. It was almost criminal.

20. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Tut tut... well as long as its a complete course in its own right, without the steak in view. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif