June 2015 Challenge. TOMATOES

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001

Lovin' it!  Given the entries so far this should be a top contender.
How about longest in first place wins?  ;)  So far you're holding it!  

Just kidding.  Come one cooks!  I admit I didn't scroll through two years worth of topics before deciding on tomatoes. 

Joined Nov 5, 2007
A week into it, and not much to show. I did do something last night that involved tomatoes:

Maybe I should submit the pot of beans and beef I did for Fill The Pot as an entry.

mjb.

Joined Apr 17, 2015
I grew up on a farm.  Ironically that means we had a lot more canned, salted, smoked, frozen, or otherwise preserved foods. (I don't care how big your family is you cannot eat a cow in a week.) Canning a food requires raising its temperature to 240 deg F at sea level.  You can't even boil water that hot and canning requires a pressure cooker.  By contrast, 145 deg is considered safe for seafood or roast beef and 165 deg is  safe for poultry and bordering on well done.  Thus even without the aluminum taste, canned foods are by definition overcooked.  Just saying.

Last edited:
Joined Jun 8, 2015
typo nazi'ng your post: It's a Cherokee tomato.  (as to show respect to those cooks of Native American descent who might identify as belonging or of Cherokee heritage).  Cocoa tomatos are in-season already and will sub out nicely, well at least here in the Appalachia.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Nothing fancy, but somebody has to challenge @teamfat /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif

Cherry tomatoes, fried with some left over spicy sausage, green beans, egg and coriander (leaves).

Added some kemiri sambal and fried onions just before eating.

Not the nicest plated dish, but tasty anyway

And lentil-tomato soup for lunch today

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Quick, easy.  Well, the home made pancetta is not that quick, but once you have it on hand ...

Boiled some angel hair. Browned some pancetta lardons with onion. Diced up a store bought heirloom tomato, no idea what variety. It did have a rather meaty interior, about the size of a lemon but a nice pinkish red. Tasted a bit better than the usual store bought cardboard maters. Threw it in the pot with some fresh basil and a splash of sherry, cooked for 3 - 4 minutes.  Added the pasta, at which point I snapped this photo. Stirred to combine. Off the heat, swirl in some butter, plate with a topping of grated cheese and some chopped basil.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
That looks like something I could have made /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Joined Apr 5, 2007

The upside of tomatoes being a month and change away from getting good is that its no sin to mess around with green house ones.  I took some peeled tomatoes and gave them a soak 1.5% calcium bath.  This "firms" them by gelling with the pectin.  

Step two, I poach them in tomato sauce and olive oil for about 45 min (catch up on laundry during is an optional step at this point).

This is a flat bread, sort of a socca/frybread hybrid I make.  Its getting a yellow tomato and piave mousse topping.

The treated tomatoes (with some egg plant) spend about an hour over charcoal (walk your dogs and/or call your mother during this time)

Sorry for the glare, tomato tart, topped with some rib steak, spinach wilted in the same pan as the steak and more piave.  A quick sauce of a reduction of the bagged tomato poaching sauce finishes it off.  The tomatoes are smokey and jammy, with a slight chew.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Pizza for lunch today:

The ingredients: mozarella cheese, other cheese, olive oil, red onion, garlic, anchovies, basil and of course tomatoes:

I buy my tomatoes from my neighbours, sun ripened outdoors tomatoes fresh from the field (and fairly cheap) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

I used sourdough for base and that definitely still needs some improvement

The finished pizza, with fresh basil from my garden

Joined Jun 9, 2015
Hi, I'm new here and new to cooking in general.  I want to know if there are contest rules and such?

Basically I'm not sure what to post. Some people explain each step, some people just post ingredients...

I'm just curious what we need to do, and it just seems as long as we use tomatoes we are good?

<-------- But I wonder if you can guess what I'll be making....

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
There are not many rules /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

You can post a pic, no pic, a description of a dish, or simply name the ingredients.

It's up to you.

Well, not really, it is up to the host of the month's challenge.

I think it has been more or less decided that the dish has to be made in this month.

Could luck with the lasagne & burrito /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Glad to see there are some entries coming in.

As for rules, you can do anything, but most of us will agree that pictures and guidance will win you more points than just a plain description or recipe.  :)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Here's my slant on "spaghetti and meatballs".  We all make tomato sauce and I did too, but I wanted to showcase tomatoes as well and reconstruct a classic dish.  

First up is meatball mix - beef, veal, pork, stale bread soaked in milk, onion, pepper, garlic, grated parm, seasoned, etc.  For the pasta part I parboiled 1/2 cup of orzo then rinsed, drained and blended that with the meat mixture.

Then I made a simple tomato sauce - olive oil, garlic, peperoncino, tomato paste and puree.  I put some sausage links in for flavor.

Next I prepared six beefsteak tomatoes - topped, scooped and stuffed with the meat/orzo mix and added some sauce to the bottom of the dish.

Covered and baked at 350 till the meat mix measured 170+ then let it rest.  I topped with them with "sawdust" and fresh garden basil and served with some sliced bread to sop that sauce up with.

Totally delicious.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2004
Tomato Cookies

I concassed some roma tomatoes. Sprinkled with baking soda and mashed with a fork.Then I beat together brown sugar and shortening. Sifted together ap flour, salt, and garam masala. Lastly, I minced some golden raisins and toasted some pine nuts. I added the sifted dry ingredients to the sugar/shortening and beat low to mix. Blended in the mashed tomatoes and finally folded in the raisins and pine nuts. Baked at 350. Plated along with coconut gelato topped with a reduction syrup of golden balsamic vinegar and garam masala that I finished with a scant bit of honey.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
They actually turned out pretty damn amazing if I do say so myself. They are nice and moist. The tomato taste is not a hit you over the head tomato flavor but more of I know that flavor what is it kind. Paired up great with the gelato and syrup. It basically was a riff on a persimmon cookie that I did a few years ago at Christmas time. Overall I would have to say the whole thing is a keeper. I am not sure where the whole idea came from, other than the culinary sirens, but when they sing, I have to go.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
This was a quick side dish for roasted chicken. I started off by sauntering diced zucchini, then added onions and tomatoes. In the end I added some thyme and stirred through some canned garbanzos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom