July 2020 Challenge - Italy

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I mean, if we are restricted to "authentic" Italian dishes, what about the fresh pasta I make with a sauce thrown together with what I already have. Is that not Italian? Is that not the Italian way?

Spaghetti with meatballs and chicken parm should most definitely be allowed 😚
Pasta served with a thick and meaty tomato based sauce is not something you're going to find outside of the tourist areas in Italy. To put it simply, Italians really don't eat pasta topped with heavy sauces. That's an American thing. Italians eat their pasta with light sauces, typically herb and butter based. Meatballs are never served with pasta in Italy nor is pasta eaten with bread the way its eaten here in America. Since pasta and bread are both starches, Italians look at the two eaten together as redundant.

Yes, fresh pasta and one pot sauce is part of the "Cucina Povera" tradition in authentic Italian cooking. However, the two are not going to be found on the same plate.

As a fun fact, you would probably be surprised to know that the most common way Italians eat pasta is aglio e olio (garlic and butter) and its usually eaten as a snack by itself in between the main noonday meal and "cena" (the evening supper) or as a late night snack.

Just some food for thought. :)

Cheers!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Another Italian dessert: Espresso Granita:

First we brew some Italian coffee:
2FA6034A-AE12-4E96-85C4-1DF8DCFC165D.jpeg

3 cups brewed; 1/2 cup sugar; a small splash of vanilla:
7490F3F9-8865-405B-86CD-3334EDB32875.jpeg

Mix with sad egg whisk while blue troll chef glares in a smarmy way:
097B555E-CB84-44AD-A6DA-1404D8ABB126.jpeg

Freeze for hours... scraping into crystals every hour or so.
364103BF-F189-4A06-A68D-6E66341F58AE.jpeg

I don’t need a recipe but from Food Magazine and here was my immediate inspiration (it’s one of the few fantasies my wife allows because she (1) knows it will never happen... I’m DEFINITELY not her type, and (2) if it ever happened it wouldn’t last long. A bit mean spirited but true. She says the same about me and Taylor Swift too!)
9612BDE8-2278-4F11-937E-E45D1F0E0EF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
OK ... Here's my first offering: Penne al Limone.

2.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg
There are only four(4) ingredients; none of which is cream or oil. Pasta al Limone is basically Alfredo plus lemon zest/juice. I wanted so much to add pepper ... but NO. I stayed true. Again, I went with a shape instead of a long pasta. That's me. There is NO added salt outside of the pasta water and the butter. The cheese is a main flavor player in this dish. It's important to use real Parmigiano Reggiano. I was very disappointed in the chunk I bought because it was young and soft.
While the pasta was boiling I melted the butter and added the lemon zest. I mixed the bageebies out of it after including the pasta and adding pasta water and the lemon juice. This all starts to make the creamy sauce. I added the cheese and continued to mix. After this I had a rich creamy sauce wrapped around the penne.
I dressed it at the table with more cheese and zest. It was served with a nice Sangiovese. There were NO leftovers.

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
That's funny Iceman.
I started going through "the essentials of classic Italian cooking" and my eye fell on exactly that recipe

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Thank You my friend. ... I chose this dish after sgsvirgil sgsvirgil told us all about pasta dishes in Italy and all about "light sauces". He pointed out aglio e olio. I wasn't gonna make that. I figured that a 4-ingredient dish would work. ... Just wait ... tomorrow I'm giving up a 3-ingredient dish; cacio e pepe. I've got a good feeling that today's dish and tomorrow's dish both have the "authentic" idea covered.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Thawing squid for tomorrow . . .

Also making something with Swiss Chard this week.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
Cacio e Pepe ... (cheese and pepper)

Brutally easy/simple. Three(3) ingredients. The trick is really good cheese and pepper ... and don't stop mixing.

1.jpg 4.jpg 7.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg

Toast up the pepper. I would have liked to use whole peppercorns but my wife threw out the empty grinder that I saved for this. Your pepper pan needs to be hot. Add some pasta water and stir to reduce. You're making a sauce here so just keep adding and reducing until you have as much as you like. Lower the heat. Next add some pasta water to the cheese to melt it into a sauce. Add the pasta to the pepper and mix. Add the cheese to the pasta and mix. Keep adding pasta water so that everything doesn't seize up. When everything has reduced and has become deliciously creamy ... plate up your dish. I dressed it with a sprinkle of cheese, a grind of pepper and a few curls of cheese. Served with a $5 Primativo. ... There were NO leftovers.

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Gosh, some animated discussion about "authentic' Italian food! Lighten up folks, relax. Leave the gun.
Actually, I'm quite enjoying the discussion . . . but, you are right about lightening up.

However, leave the gun AND the cannoli if you happen to be Don Altobello and your goddaughter gives you some before the opera.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Certainly the wrong time of year for it, but I wonder if we'll see anyone doing something based on 'Festa dei sette pesci' in this challenge?

mjb.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
The sharing of knowledge by those with experience to those without was once upon a time a positive transaction that formed the backbone of our industry. Today, not so much. It would seem that someone who freely shares information with those with less experience and less knowledge has to "lighten up."

What a sad time we live in.

Joined May 1, 2019
The sharing of knowledge by those with experience to those without was once upon a time a positive transaction that formed the backbone of our industry. Today, not so much. It would seem that someone who freely shares information with those with less experience and less knowledge has to "lighten up."

What a sad time we live in.
That is big FACTS no one enjoys learning anymore you just have to suck it now a days when you see someone do something incorrectly or misinform one another. What a time, to be alive!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Nothing wrong with sharing info. In fact it is very much appreciated!
I just think that teamfat meant that the discussion (authentic or not and allowed or not) should be done (held) respectfully.
With which I fully agree :)

Joined May 1, 2019
I cannot lie I love the ads on this website once I think I'm forgetting something that ad pops up to remind me. :)

Top Bottom