Featured July 2019 Cooking Challenge

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cheflayne, Jul 2, 2019.

1. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In order to hopefully boost participation, I wanted to choose an ingredient that is global in nature, available all year round, and budget friendly. For those reasons, this month’s challenge is CHICKEN. Chicken is utilized in a wealth of cuisines from a variety of continents. It can be humble or haute. Simple or complicated. Beer can chicken to turducken. Chicken as a meat has been depicted in Babylonian carvings from around 600 BC. So there is no dearth of ideas and recipes available. Also no excuses. Show me what you got!

The Rules:

The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.

You may post multiple entries.

All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.

If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.

Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.

The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.

Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Nice! I did some grilled lemon pepper chicken this evening, and thought that maybe I should take a picture just in case, Of course, I didn't take any pictures, but it was tasty, will do it again soon.

mjb.

3. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Good plan!

4. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Excellent choice. I have a chicken dish I cooked yesterday (so that counts). Images etc. to follow.

5. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Excellent! Come on lurkers!

Pat Pat likes this.
  6. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Chicken glazed with mango mustard 'en papillote':

fullsizeoutput_4c14.jpeg

Cooking chicken breasts 'en papillote' is one of my favourite methods. They stay so tender and it’s a super quick and easy method. Here, the mango mustard provides a fruity, hot dimension and the garlic, ginger and cinnamon add musky depth.

First I made the mango mustard using: chopped ripe mango and red onion, turmeric, garlic powder, ground ginger, hot chilli powder, salt placed in a saucepan with dry white wine and water, hot English mustard and Dijon mustard. Simmered until the onion is softened then blitzed to a purée and sieved.

fullsizeoutput_4c0e.jpeg

The chicken breast was brushed all over with the mustard and was placed in parchment lined foil together with thinly sliced garlic and ginger, cinnamon, thyme, salt, pepper and a large splash of white wine.

fullsizeoutput_4c22.jpeg

A lid of foil was tented over the top and the edges crimped. Then it was baked for 25 mins. Finally, a blow torch was used to char the top of the chicken breast and a few sprigs of fresh thyme & chilli flakes scattered over.

fullsizeoutput_4c12.jpeg

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That mango mustard has me salivating. I have done lots of things with mango but never thought of a mustard. What a perfect pairing for the chicken breast and the en papillote method. Kudos!!!

ldiatone and morning glory like this.
  8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I spatchcocked a chicken today - I remove the wish bone, ribs and keel bone as well. the bones left are wing, thigh and leg. I season both sides with my tried and true celery salt, black pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika. I stand the wings and legs up with small skewers and bake at 425 for 40 - 50 minutes. Amazing crisp skin and great flavor. I served it with a Caprese salad and some fresh, hot buttermilk biscuits . . . oh and a nice gin and tonic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ldiatone, koukouvagia, butzy and 2 others like this.
  9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Looks gorgeous! Perfect for this time of year especially when paired with the caprese salad and there is no bad time of year for buttermilk biscuits. I have never actually spatchcocked a chicken but your dish inspired me and I think there will be one in the near future for me and possibly with a caprese salad as well. That is what I love about cooking, there is always something new for the open minded. No one has done it all. Thanks for a great submission.

morning glory likes this.
  10. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Neither have I ever spatchcocked, but I see the technique begs my bottom insulating shallow pan technique to save the juices from burning, really have to do.

11. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Looks great. I'm in two minds about whether to spatchcock a poussin I am planning to cook.

Not sure what that is?

12. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I smoked a chicken with apple wood chips. I wet brined it for only 2 hours before I rubbed it with a georgian rub I have. It has nutmeg and sage in it. Probably one of the best chickens I have ever cooked hands down.
    Tried to keep the temp between 250-300 but it's tricky with a weber. The smoke took about 4 hours. Juicy and delicious!!
    8DD5D373-7105-4ED0-887C-9BF7E04EB724.jpg 904789F3-6266-40D9-883C-FA7D3031A370.jpg 501143F6-FACD-4186-B549-402AB332ED42.jpg

ldiatone, koukouvagia, butzy and 4 others like this.
  13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Looks absolutely amazing! The picture is screaming "I am moist, tender, and delicious". Not only that, but you did it on a weber at 250-300 for 4 hours. That takes commitment and skill. Perfect example of why true cooking is referred to as culinary art.

planethoff and dectra like this.
  14. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Super! I'd like to know more about the Georgian rub...

dectra likes this.
  15. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Keelbone = bone between the two breasts.

Although some just beak the ribs, wish and Keelbone, leaving them in place... I much prefer the way Mike9 does it. It’s fiddely work but well worth the effort. Removing them makes portioning, serving, and eating much more convenient and civilized.

planethoff and morning glory like this.
  16. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I read this too quickly and saw it as "possum". I guess some people say it tastes like chicken... :eek:

17. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Poussin on Torn Bread with Saffron, Lemon and Olives. Easy to make - just an assembly job really and a great way to use up stale bread.

Raw materials assembled in dish:

fullsizeoutput_4d44.jpeg

After baking: the bread is a delight because it becomes crispy in some parts, juice laden in others and the roasted garlic cloves are lovely to squidge out on the plate. I think its best served with a crispy green salad. A honey vinaigrette on the salad is perfect to contrast with the lemony poussin.

fullsizeoutput_4d49.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4d4b.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 7:38 PM
    fatcook likes this.
  18. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Got it!

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Very cool, kind of a deconstructed stuffed bird. Do I also see Belgian endive and caper berries? I love it...clean and uncomplicated...but yet an elaborate mosaic at the same time.

20. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Accurate comments. You understood what I was trying to do. Caper berries yes - but no endive - that would be the banana shallots. I can post the full recipe up in the Recipe section.

Thanks!