July 2015 Challenge is . . . . SALAD

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mike9, Jul 2, 2015.

1. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It's July already can you believe it?  I thought maybe it's time to lighten things up - it sure is for me.  After all it's picnic and BBQ time, time to spend out doors enjoying family and friends and of course great food.  The Challenge this month is SALAD - so many ways to improvise and hey - it's not a main . . . or is it?  Just think of the possibilities!!!  

Good luck to everyone who's up for a Challenge.   

OK - now for the usual disclaimer:  (Please it's the honor system)  Only submit dishes you made for this Challenge.  That would be dishes made in July 2015.  

Mike9

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif  

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Damn... I made a killer salad of greens from the garden, marinated cucumbers & a slaw to go with the leftover mac & cheese.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Made a small batch of chicken salad tonight. Had I known the challenge I would have tarted it up a bit. Perhaps I'll do a Chinese octopus salad, or a lemongrass beef one, or Italian style lentil, or ....

mjb.

4. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Will give it a try.
    Winter here though, so it might just become a side plate....

5. mise

mise

Exp:
    Sous Chef

Farmers market special I did awhile back. (I know it's disqualified, but maybe a little inspiration get this thing started)

Beets roasted in sherry and thyme, raw shaved beets, beet leaves, lemon balm, and a Thai Trinity (Mint, T. Basil, and Cilantro) puree. 

The roasted beets are inside the leaf, you can see one poking out. The idea for the plating was to keep it super clean. Your plate looks crazy after you finish eating it, like a Jackson Pollock or something.

6. mise

mise

Exp:
    Sous Chef

Another oldie, a Chef Keller approved salad ;)

Broccoli blanched and dressed in champagne vin + EVOO, buratta, chive, cerignola olives, pickled red onion, whipped black pepper creme fraiche.

Really tasty salad.

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Eh Mise, you might win if you put a few more pictures and descriptions of the steps and dressing involved.

8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    My weakness.  I mean I am weak on salad.

9. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Mmmmm!  Salad! Love it! Seasonal Produce & Farmers' Markets turn me on. :)  Anything from avocado and strawberry w/ slivered red onion and spinach, to grilled peaches or nectarines and mozzarella & creme fraiche and arugula, to the classics like Cobb, Louis, etc. Cherries are in now too. Great topic!  Looking to you guys for more inspiration. Thanks, Mike.

10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hot, or warm salad sounds about right for Winter.  If it ain't snowin' get that grill a goin'.
    Well you have 29 days to bone up - think man, think    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif  

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Maybe it's a cultural thing but we eat salads all throughout winter here.  Some of the best greens are available in winter like cabbage and hard greens.

12. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Beets are delicious as well.  I had a magnificent beet and fried goat cheese (discs coated in crumbs) salad at a restaurant that stuck in my head.

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    In my opinion beet greens are under utilized.  Which I guess means I should incorporate them into a salad sometime this month. Hmm...

mjb.

14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I always try to utilize beet tops... However, I've never tried them in a salad? Didn't even think about it. I usually sauté them with a bit of garlic, and serve as a side or mix with gnocchis...

15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    They are pretty bitter raw, they'd probably need some sort of blanching or such, might work in a warm potato salad.

mjb.

16. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @Mike9 and @Koukouvagia:
    I was joking a bit there. Our winter is probably warmer than your summer:)
    No snow here ever

I have a couple of nice salads in mind, so will be back...

17. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  18. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've been MIA due to my "job" as president of my synagogue, but I needed a little R&R so......

Fennel, Apple and Orange Slaw (that's salad, right??)

Juice of one lime or 1/2 lemon

Splash of rice wine vinegar

Olive oil

Salt and pepper

Shave one fennel bulb on a mandoline

Add one tart-sweet apple (granny smith, etc.) diced

Toss in some chopped parsley

Add supremes of one sweet orange, juice reserved

Make a vinaigrette of the first four ingredients, plus the orange juice. Toss the apple, fennel, and parsley with the vinaigrette, then gently mix in the orange. It's reasonably good the next day, too.

19. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Pizzà. & Salad - I like the combo of warm pizza dough topped with à crisp cold green salad for a light summer meal or amuse busche/appetizer. Prepare your pizza crust and top it with salad of choice. The warm crust compliments the cold salad. Caesar salad, either classic or added chicken or shrimp, or buratta, prosciutto and arugula - so many ways to go. Using flat bread is another option. Verrines are pretty cool too.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  20. chefnick91

chefnick91

Exp:
    Culinary Student

simple salad 

honey mustard potato salad 

rice salad with olives peppers tomato onions and herb