John Entwisel..

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Of the "Who" was found dead in his hotel room in Las Vegas,He was 57 years old....One of the best rock bassiest ever..he will be sorely missed

Joined Apr 23, 2002
When the idols of your youth pass away, you know you`re getting old...

Armand

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
John was only 57 (not old at all). He was as Cape said an incredible bassist and also the most quiet of the group the who. He will be missed. I wonder if they will find a replacement for their upcoming tour or simply cancel?

Joined Apr 23, 2002
Well, at the age of 57 he was old enough to die obviously. You don´t get older than that usually, do you? I am about to be 47 soon, so what can I say? Another 10 years?

In "My Generation" they sang: Hope I die before I get old.
Did he make it true? Or did he get old before he died?

Get me right: For me it´s just the fact that we get reminded of our own mortality when someone dies that was an idol of our youth, and this happens more often as we ourselves get older.

Grown up in Europe (Germany), the Who possibly meant more to me than to someone having spent his youth on the other side of the Pond.

I shall miss him.

Armand

Joined Feb 11, 2002
I saw the Who last tour they did , Hollywood Bowl, box seats, right in front. One of the tightest, loudest, most fun shows I'd seen in years -brilliant, beautiful, a touch sentimental.
A great, great band...

Keith, and now John - R.I.P.

Hope I die before I get old

Monkey

Joined Nov 29, 2001
The last Who tour I saw was the Quadrophenia anniversary and let me tell you, these guys didn't lose a step. They had the original guy who played Jimmy in the movie narrating and I nearly jumped out of my skin when I recognized him. Another blow for my youth but another great talent in Rock n Roll heaven.

Joined Nov 10, 2001
John Entwistle was not only a brilliant bassist,he also was one the few people of their generation who tried to avoid controversy.
I am 44,i remember The Who,The Beatles,the Stones(with Brian Jones,later found in a swimming pool)Jimmy Hendrix,Janice Joplin,etc.
Most of the people i remember from the 60s and 70s were always trying to shock everyone.Some people would call this self expression.John`s demise is a great loss,it reminds old folks like me of an age when people wrote their own songs. At the moment here in the U.K.,there is a distinct lack of talent.
The radio stations play an endless stream of abysmal cover versions,which are about as interesting as a monkey bashing two saucepan lids together.That,is on a good day:D
Leo.:chef:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
What a great loss his passing is. He was one reason I learned to play bass instead of guitar.

Joined Apr 19, 2001
I saw the Who in concert right after 'Tommy' was released; they performed in Boston in a small 'clubby' type place; no seats, everyone milling about on the floor, and the stage only about 2 feet off the ground. Those massive speakers were about 5 feet away from me, and I couldn't hear anything for about a week after!

Many fond memories of the Who, one of the icons of the 60's.

Joined May 11, 2001
Representatives for Townsend and Daltrey announced a replacement within one day of Entwistle's death. A bassist that plays often with Townsend will be filling in. It seems a bit callous to decide so quickly, but I guess money was on the line. I was an 80's kid, so I really didn't listen to The Who and I remember disliking Tommy; however, they were most definitely one of the major influences on music today. I've been reading a bit about Entwistle and he was very cool.

Joined Nov 20, 2000
I had the pleasure of seeing the Who several times. With and without Keith Moon. As a guitarist Pete was certainly an inspiration, as a bass player (which is how I made most of my playing money) John was possibly my biggest influence. He will surely be missed, but what everybody wants a taste of in life, to achieve some sort of immortality? He certainly achieved that and more. I am said for our loss, but even at such a young age I'm happy for him that he achieved so much and will be remembered for long on into human history.
Rest in peace Ox, we'll miss you.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Risa:

All top bands have backup(s). Who else could have been Jimi Hendrix's backup band other than ZZ Top?

Joined May 11, 2001
I have no problems with having a backup. However, shouldn't there be a proper mourning period when a key member of a band dies? Entwistle died on Thursday and they played a concert on Monday. At least, they cancelled Friday and Saturday.

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Koko,
I'm having trouble understanding your post. Could you go into what you mean in just a little more detail please.
:)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I heard over a radio broadcast that "ZZ TOP was Jimi Hendrix's backup band". I suppose that it was kindof like being an understudy for an actor.

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Ah hah, that's what I thought I heard. In the interest of rock and roll history and accuracy I need to note that in fact ZZ Top never backed up Jimi Hendrix. Jimi liked ZZ Top and Billy Gibbons and I believe they did a couple of shows togther which may be what was meant, but they never did play together.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Reread my post. I never said that they played together. Reread my post. What was the source of my information?

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Ah hah! Reread my post as well. I never said that you said anything. In the interest of accuracy (because I've been playing rock and roll since I was a kid and it's just the way I am) I was simply making a correction of what was stated so that someone who may not know wouldn't look at that and say oh... look ZZ Top, that's Jimi Hendrix' old band or something like that.
So in essence I was correcting what the radio said and not blaming Koko! So relax, have a drink and crank up the tunes:D
;)

Joined Feb 6, 2002
errr....not to sound dumb but who are the Who? I know of the Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix and heard of ZZ Top. But who is The Who? :confused: Guess Im gonna be heading to VH1's website. :rolleyes: They just announced that Jimmy Hendrix was a one hit wonder by the way.

Jodi

Joined Jan 1, 2001
Ok, hold the phone... Jimi Hendrix a one hit wonder? This man completely revolutionized guitar playing. No one, before or since, played as Jimi did. VH1 must have the history sense of a goldfish.

Back to the original subject. I'm completely saddened by John Entwhistle's death. As spoken of in previous posts, he did not seek the limelight. He was all about the music--and his contribution to the Who made their tunes truely resonate with a huge number of people. Pete Townsend's inspired lyrics and guitar playing, Roger Daltrey's uh.. vocals and Keith Moon's percussion made rock and roll exciting and meaningful after it had started to become rote.

I'll miss knowing John was out there shaking it all up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom