John Boos butcher block cracked, no answer from tech support

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by french fries, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I purchased a John Boos butcher block a couple of years ago, and it now has a crack in between two of the square tiles. Considering the price I paid for it I was hoping for the board to last me a bit more than a couple of years!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

More importantly, I have contacted John Boos (from their website at http://www.johnboos.com/) a few weeks ago and never received an answer. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

I am contacting them again today, with a link to this thread, maybe that'll wake them up? Let's see if I get an answer this time. 

hammnx likes this.
  2. johnboosmktng

johnboosmktng

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello, Please contact me about your Boos Block cutting board. My email address is [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
    bbutcher likes this.
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you Mandy! I was coming back here to update the thread to say that I haven't had a response from John Boos once again. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif  But your answer is giving me hope. I will send you an email now. 

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Mandy asked me for a few photographs of the crack and offered to send me a new board. Since my board is now discontinued, she offered a choice of two larger and thicker ones, that are also more expensive than what I originally paid. I picked the one I wanted, and they're going to ship it to me. 

I have to say, I'm glad I posted about the issue here, and I'm glad Mandy saw my post and offered to help! Outstanding support. I will buy Boos again with confidence. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

5. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    That's interesting... nice response from Boos.

I  wonder how many firms in the biz keep an eye on this site?

Mike

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, that's really nice. I received an email today stating my new board shipped, along with a tracking number. It should be here by the end of the week - I can't wait!

7. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    That seems like some pretty legit customer support. I'll keep this mind for my dream-kitchen. One day...

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I got my new Boo's board today in the mail! I'm stocked! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

9. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Nice!

hope you enjoy it for many many more years!

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks! :)

11. mocoondo

mocoondo

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Just happened to see this thread from a few months ago.  I also have a John Boos maple cutting board and one of the squares has developed a crack all the way around it.  It wasn't due to misuse either.  I regularly treat the board and never submerge it in water or other liquid.  I only wipe it off and towel dry when done.  Needless to say, considering what I spent for the thing, I am very disappointed that it didn't hold up too well.  I haven't had the thing for more than 6 months or so when the crack developed. 

12. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    From my own past inexperience, placing hot items on a board will cause problems.  I had a habit of using it for placing hot dishes on straight out of the oven.  I have a newer board, but still use the old one a lot for doing the same thing....sometimes I'll cut on it  and then use it as a hot dish trivet.  A couple of boards are separated slightly, but it's a handy way for me to work.  The newer "good" board I only use for cutting now that I'm smarter.

13. mocoondo

mocoondo

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I reached out to Mandy this week on my faulty Boos Block cutting board. She responded immediately and asked for photos. I hope they can make this right. Paying almost $300 for a maple cutting board 2 1/4" thick, I expected a lot more than wood splitting completely through the board after only a few months, I'll let you all know what kind of resolution I get. When I tried the www.johnboos.com website form, I got absolutely no response.

14. autoredial

autoredial

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This doesn't sound like great service. You shouldn't have to post in a forum to get service from the company. Mandy's response is saving the reputation of the company but the company is failing her and their customers. If I weren't on this forum, am I SOL?

15. mocoondo

mocoondo

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Just a quick update regarding my situation:  I have a maple end grain John Boos that I paid close to $300 for, well less than a year ago.  I treat it with food grade mineral oil regularly...every 2 weeks or so.  It has started splitting in at least three areas and on both sides. I have been in contact with Mandy.  I believe Mandy isn't in customer service per se, but rather a marketing representative, but anyway, it is nice that she is an open line of communication.  When I tried communicating with John Boos customer service through the website form, I received no reply.  She received photos from me showing three different areas with cracking and glue separation.  She passed the photos along to Customer Service who is apparently deciding what they might be able to do for me.  Still no decision has been made.  Hopefully they can either fix it (I am not sure how), or issue a replacement.

In the interim, I have stopped using my John Boos because I am concerned about bacteria in the cracks and cross contaminating my food.  I am quite disappointed because I really loved my Boos Block but it really hasn't held up to my expectations despite being very well cared for.  I know some people don't even do anything to their boards, but I keep mine clean and oil it regularly. 

16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As far as quality is concerned, I haven't heard any complaints about Boardsmith's nor Michigan Maple Block's cutting boards.

17. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I have a similar board, but not boos. It too is cracking along a glue line. It has remained that way for about a year. It closes a bit depending on humidity and temp, as well as time between oiling. I only use it for prep and cooked food like pizza. Never for anything raw other than vegetables. I scrub and clean normally but try not to leave it wet (i.e. salted vegetables) for too long to seep into the crack and make it worse.

You have options which in the end can and will be a major pain in the arse. I've tried a strap clamp to see if it generates enough pressure to close the crack but to no avail. The other option is to block it, drill a perpendicular hole through the board across the crack (like a "chord" in geometry) and install a bolt after countersinking the ends. Glue, and tighten the bolt. You have more than one crack. (post pics?) All in all, a pain in the arse, and not sure it's worth it. 

Replacement board, depending on the crack size/ depth. You might just want to keep using the board for one thing - veggies or meat. Get another for the other. 

If they get you a replacement : firewood. 

18. mocoondo

mocoondo

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    After two plus weeks of back and fourth emails, I am totally getting the runaround from John Boos relative to my defective, heavily cracked, 9 month old, $279 John Boos cutting board that is supposed to be under warranty.. Suffice to say, we will not be welcoming any future John Boos products into our home.

Despite being very careful with the board, never getting it wet, and regularly treating it with food grade mineral oil every couple weeks, this is what we ended up with all over the board:

Definitely not worth a damn, in my opinion.

Although Boos blew me off, I did take the time to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and initiate an investigation with the Illinois Attorney General in hopes that other people won't get screwed as we did. I have since discovered many other reviews on the net where people had their John Boos boards crack and split open. Obviously they have a quality control problem which they fail to acknowledge or provide any assistance with through their sketchy, never completely disclosed product warranty.

They actually have a real clever scheme going. If you want service, you have to return to your selling dealer, which in our case was an internet website. Because the board is unwrapped and used, the selling dealer will not exchange it and insisted I contact the manufacturer for service. Guess what happens when you contact John Boos, the manufacturer? You guessed it...From Lisa Sieben, Customer Service Manager, "As we do not sell direct form the factory all warranty issues must do through the dealer that it was purchased from."

And with that, I guess I am now the proud owner of a $300 piece of firewood.

If you are contemplating a John Boos product, be sure to choose wisely. My cheap $20 bamboo board has held up longer than the junk John Boos sold me.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  19. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hi.  I have a fairly new Boos board that I want to take care of, and was wondering how you keep yours clean and sanitized without getting it wet.  I've been washing mine with soap and water, rinsing it and drying it, and standing it up to let it finish air drying.  If I've been cutting raw meat, the last thing I do is spray it with sanitizer, and leave the sanitizer on it for about five minutes before rinsing and drying.  I am pretty careful about getting the edges dry.

It seems to be working fine, but I'd like to know your method, too.  I put board cream on my board about twice a year.  I have another Boos that's developed a couple of small cracks that I've treated the same way, but I've been using it since 1997.  They are both side grain.

Thanks.

20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I apply mineral oil or mineral oil + beeswax (board cream) at least every three to four weeks and mine from BoardSmith has held up just fine and with no cracking nor splitting at the seams.  I'd recommend that you oil/cream yours at least once a month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.