Jerk

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by keeperofthegood, Dec 30, 2004.

1. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Well, I just spent the last half hour or more searching this forum for information on this spice blend. What I found was slim. I was wondering if anyone makes their own blends? Dry and wet.

Me, I like to make my own. Usually dry.

Typically:

2 tbls allspice
    2 tbls new mexican dried chilies (not a hot chili, but has a realy nise dark crimson colour)
    1 tbsp pepper
    2 tsp thyme
    1 tsp cloves

At least that is where I start, and I mix it up as I go. Sometimes I will add mace, and garlic, and othertimes I just use the allspice chilies and pepper.

So, what do you all do/use/blend?

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When I make jerk, at home, I usually use a wet rub/marinade which includes:
    orange juice
    lime juice
    green onion
    fresh thyme
    habaneros, scotch bonnets, or bird peppers
    garlic
    ginger
    allspice
    clove
    sugar
    salt
    pepper
    cinnamon
    cumin
    Sorry, I don't have amounts, but I usually just "wing it" at home (I could pull up my work recipe when I get home), and adjust it according to my whims. Spice wise the allspice should predominate with all the other spices just backing it up. As for the chiles, that is a personal preferance. 1 habanero will give you some heat, 2 and you might start to sweat, 3 you got some good fire going , 4+just the way I like it, mouth searingly spicy (the only way to make jerk!!!)

3. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    well I've never made "jerk" spice before, but one mix that I tend to use more often, is equal parts salt, black pepper adn granulated garlic. nothing fancy or spicy but it works for simple seasoning.

4. garyf

garyf

Jerk would probably be the single seasoning I'd pick if given a choice of only one for life :) I have tried dozens of different recipes and methods and have found only one that my Jamaican friends call "just like home". Walkerswood! It's prepared, ready to use (paste/rub) and has a pretty good heat factor. My fav. jerked dish is pork and I usually buy a very large boneless pork loin roast, untie it, slather every surface and retie. 24 hours in the fridge and then rotisserie, low and slow over a blend of woods. I use apple, mesquite and a little pecan. The true and unfortunate secret is the wood, Pimento. I have yet to find a supply or supplier of pimento logs/chips in North America and I'm actually considering importing it myself. I wonder what customs would say when they opened my suitcase to find it full of wood :rolleyes:

They have a website, www.walkerswood.com

PS. Don't forget the rice with black beans and ox-tail gravy!

Gary

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here are two rubs I use at work. They are made with the general public in mind so they are not very hot, but that is easily remedied.

Wet Jerk Rub
    Weight or Volume/Ingredients
    1/4 cup Allspice Berries, toasted, cracked
    1 stick Cinnamon, crushed
    1 teaspoon Nutmeg, fresh grate
    1 Habanero, fine chop
    1/2 Onion, chopped
    1/2 cup Scallions, green & white,chopped
    3 cloves Garlic, coarse chop
    3 tablespoons Ginger, fine chop
    1 tablespoon Thyme
    1 tablespoon Sugar
    1 tablespoon Soy
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire
    3 tablespoons Lime Juice
    1/4 cup Rum
    Procedure:
    Combine all ingredients and place in processor and blend until smooth.

Dry Jerk Rub
    Weight or Volume/Ingredients
    1/2 tablespoon Cumin
    1/2 tablespoon Black Peppercorns
    3/4 teaspoon Mustard Seed
    3/4 teaspoon Coriander
    3/4 teaspoon Cloves
    1/4 teaspoon Thai Chile
    3/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
    3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
    1/2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
    3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
    Procedure:
    Place cumin, pepper, mustard, coriander, and cloves in dry skillet and toast over medium heat about 1 - 2 minutes, until fragrant. Combine with remaining ingredients and grind.