Japanese Fish Filet Knife Needed

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by drpartagas, Sep 27, 2016.

1. drpartagas

drpartagas

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I am in need of a quality knife in order  to filet fish ranging from dissecting a whole fish to smartly slicing thin filets from  a piece of boneless tuna and the like.

Will you offer some top ideas for a quality Japanese knife for this purpose.

Price isn't a big concern whereas quality is.

Many thanks...

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The Japanese way of doing this is completely different.  For the tasks you are describing they would two different knives.  If you're not breaking down fish for sashimi, don't bother with it and just get a flexible filet knife.

3. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    From my understanding, if you are looking at traditional Japanese single beveled knives then your needs describe 2 different knives: the deba for breakdown and fileting of fish, and the yanagiba for the pristine fine slicing. Or a mioroshi deba which is something of a compromise between the two. But I would not recommend looking at traditional Japanese knives as opposed to just Japanese made equivalents of western knives (like a slicer/sujihiki) unless you have an idea of how to do single beveled sharpening or are prepared to learn.

4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Not just sharpening, usage is completely different.