January, 2022 Challenge, Frozen Desserts

Joined Jun 7, 2021
OK, Just checked in. The theme for January is Frozen deserts. I never thought I'd win. Tnis is truly an honor, as I'm competing against so many great cooks. Thank you. the rules are simple, any frozen desert, be it a smoothie, a snow cone, ice cream, sorbet, bonbon, ice cream cake, the sky is the limit.

As always:

The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Oh, how appropriate for a Northern Hemisphere winter! Two great elements: intensely cold and dessert. Putting my thinking cap on… right now all I can think of is a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
No takers yet? Surely someone knows how to make a baked Alaska, or a snow cone, slushie, or something. Put on your thinking caps. There are amazing cooks/chefs in this forum. Do us proud. Create a new ice cream or gelato flavor, or shaved ice.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
When I get home from work around 6:30 in the morning, and it is like 15F outside, ice cream, sorbet, whatever is not what I am craving. More like a hot cup of broth is what I want. It's hard to get interested in frozen desserts in the bitter cold of the dead of winter. But I'll try to come up with something soon.

mjb.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
No takers yet? Surely someone knows how to make a baked Alaska, or a snow cone, slushie, or something. Put on your thinking caps. There are amazing cooks/chefs in this forum. Do us proud. Create a new ice cream or gelato flavor, or shaved ice.

Working on an idea. Will submit soon, I hope.

If I lived where it snowed I’d have an entry already… maple syrup on snow. Someone else will have to do that!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, I don’t want to be obnoxious but…

Working on ideas, especially one to use the bounty of our SoCal winter. It’s in the 60s right now, sun is low but shining, and the Meyer lemons are ripe!

4A399AF0-6437-4D56-81C6-6B949BA57C0E.jpeg

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Lemon Granita

Starting with a very simple frozen dessert... lemon granita is a Sicilian delight comprised of water, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sugar. This version is made with Meyer lemon grown in my garden. Mix and freeze for 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. The result is sweet, tart, slightly acidic, and intensely lemon-y. The texture is slushy frozen water that immediately melts on the tongue. Here, garnished with lemon leaf, mint, and blueberry.

While lemon is my favorite flavor of granita, espresso granita is also a taste sensation.

IMG_1032.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jun 7, 2021
Brainshaw, you are simply amazing. You're deserts look fantastic. I'm surprised no one has stepped up with a baked Alaska. in any case, great job.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I’ve always noticed that most participants are savory oriented, but becoming a bit shocked that either frozen or dessert might be an aversion. :)

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Ice cold ice cream, or gelato in hot cocoa. I believe we are creative enough to make a frozen desert that is still comforting. Hot brownie with ice cream and hot fudge? Fried ice cream? Hot apple pie with French vanilla ice cream? C'mon. We can do this.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Still hot enough here, but cloudy and I am on limited solar, so trying to open freezer as little as possible. Plus there is nothing sweet in there.
But I will still try to come up with something....

Joined Dec 18, 2010
My goodness… so I’m the lone “sugar whore” it seems! My stash, next to my comfortable-chair… what the family calls “Daddy’s candy store”. And there are 2 other stashes! I don’t eat this stuff in large quantities but eat some every day, it seems.

4BDD1E37-51D3-4CFF-9626-956A4BF2C9F5.jpeg
Mea culpa.

Top Bottom