January 2020 Cooking Challenge - cheese and veggies

Joined May 28, 2015
Kalettes with Blue Cheese

Kalettes are a hybrid of Brussels sprouts and kale. They cook very quickly and have a delicious sweet nutty flavour which is enhanced by toasted sesame oil. Pairing them with blue cheese adds a salty savoury tang.
I used St Agur blue cheese, drizzled toasted sesame oil over and topped the cooked dish with some julienned orange peel (poached in simple syrup), crispy fried onions and sesame seeds

The kalettes:

fullsizeoutput_5b43.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5b3e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5b4c.jpeg

Joined May 28, 2015
Spaghetti with Spinach & Parmesan

Gloriously green and satisfyingly simple to make, this dish really showcases spinach. The secret of the vibrant green is in blending raw baby spinach leaves.

fullsizeoutput_5b7e.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
150g spaghetti
75g baby spinach leaves
75g milk (or milk & cream)
2 x cloves of garlic
2 heaped tbsps finely grated Parmesan cheese(or vegetarian substitute)
2 x mild red chillies, deseeded and chopped finely
Olive oil to drizzle (optional)

Method
  1. Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente.
  2. While the spaghetti is cooking, make the spinach puree. Blend together the raw baby spinach and the milk (or milk and cream, for a richer sauce). I use a stick blender and gradually add handfuls of spinach to the milk, blending as I go.
  3. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and grate in the garlic cloves using a microplane (or use a garlic crusher).
  4. Place the mixture in a large microwaveable bowl.
  5. Drain the spaghetti. Microwave the spinach mixture on high for 2 minutes. Add the spaghetti and mix well. Serve with chilies scattered over.

fullsizeoutput_5b71.jpeg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Okay, January is ending. One more day for last minute entries. Of course, if it was based solely on quality of posted photographs, we know who'd win for sure. But I have it mostly narrowed down. I work 10 pm to 6 am Feb. 1, so I'll try to get the winner announced around noon, Mountain Time here in the US of A. Unless I fall asleep at the the computer and it takes longer.

I was expecting to see more pizza type dishes, and some omelet/frittata stuff. I do sort of regret that the theme did not fit well with many Asian cuisines, which are not known for the use of cheese.

But some good stuff was presented to be sure. More in about 24 hours.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made a little antipasto salad to go with our leftover pizza. Field greens, smoked gouda, kalamata and manzanilla olives, genoa salami and black forest ham with a vinaigrette of evoo, garlic, 12yr. aged Sicilian lemon vinegar, herbs and a small chunk of very hard parmesan.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I ended up falling asleep at my desk before making the choice. I WILL get it done after I get home from this shift. So about 7 - 8 AM Sunday morning. That's MST, Mountain Time.

mjb.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Okay, done with work, mostly awake, let's get on with it.

Well, I was going to say this is the Nth challenge since it started, but I forgot to look it up. I'm thinking we are about a year away from 100, though. But whatever number challenge this is, we had a respectable showing. There were 28 entries posted, by 9 different folks. Most prolific were mike9 mike9 and morning glory morning glory who both put up 7 dishes. Wow! Then 3 with 3 entries, and 3 with 1 entry. And they were all quite good.

As usual Morning Glory's photographs were exquisite, and she certainly embodied the theme of mixing veggies with cheese. Mike9 had a wide range of dishes from roast apple to poblano pizza. Would love a taste of that chicken pie with smoked gruyere!

Some nice soups, more than I was expecting, but they all looked very nice, hank's roasted cauliflower asiago soup sounds interesting. @cheflayne plate with the roasted cauliflower, carrots and turkey looked interesting, and I mean that in a good way. And hat's off to @peachcreek for the home made mascarpone.

But the one dish that really got my mouth watering more than the others was the take on coquilles. Didn't foresee the side effect of the language discussion, but it brought back memories, and I plan on making it, or some variation in a day or two. And the french onion soup was just the extra little push to make sgsvirgil sgsvirgil the winner for January 2020!

Well done all.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Congrats!
I see the next challenge is posted, so I'm going to have a look see what I am eating this month ;)

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Thanks everyone, especially teamfat teamfat ! :) (I see the check cleared!....lol)

I had a lot of fun. I think we all did. Hopefully, I can come up with a challenge that's equally interesting and fun.

Thanks again!

Cheers! :)
Has anyone seen my "Monthly Challenge Winner" ribbon? I can't seem to find it. :p

Top Bottom