January 2016 Challenge, Slow Cooking

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Thought I would add one last slow cooked item before the end of January.  One less month of winter down!

I did a slow cook Red Beans and Rice.  Basically add all the ingredients and wait (not the rice)... I didn't even soak the beans!

Cooked (covered) andouille sausage, green pepper, onion, celery, garlic, Cajun seasoning  and red beans at 235F for 8 hours and held for another 8 hours at 155F.  Season with S&P after its all cooked to together and if your like me add extra cayenne at this point.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Dessert from a crockpot is not only delish but simple, or so I was promised by not only countless blogs but also one grey haired lady pushing her cookbook in the middle of the nite.

Always have been gullible and told myself if those people can take a can of this and a jar of that and toss a box of whatever on top then I should be able to do it .
No sweat.....right?

Was able to salvage the last 2 jars of home canned cherry pie filling from one attempt and about half of a chocolate fudge cake (who knew you could make a cake in a crockpot?) from another recipe was able to add a couple of pantry staples and throw together a pretty decent trifle of sorts.

mimi

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
After the disastrous first attempt I decided to think out of the box.
Was up late last nite and the last thing I did before retiring was to throw together a slow cook breakfast.
Who doesn't love oatmeal...right?
After my previous experiments decided to skip right past the quick cook kind (which are barely usable for cookies IMO) and went straight to the steel cut.
Added water, salt, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and cranberries to the crock set on low and went to bed.

Got up this morning to the smell of cinnamon oatmeal cookies.
Dished up a serving and added cream and butter and toasted pecans.
Think I am starting to get the hang of this thinking out of the slow cooker crock lol.

mimi

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Moving right along.....
Wanted to add another dessert so started digging thru my well stocked pantry and came across a can of condensed milk that was just this side of expiration and had another brilliant idea.
Sorry if I am bragging but there were so many "not" hits that I thought I was due for some luck coming my way lol.
The easiest way in the world to make caramel is to take a few cans of condensed ( not evaporated) milk and submerge in boiling water for a few hours.
Usually takes between 8 and 10 hours at a bare simmer.
After the can is cool enuf to handle open it up and serve on top of the leftover hand cranked vanilla bean ice cream ( which is also slow food in my book).

Have a peek....

mimi

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
Having so much fun so will add one last slow cooker item.
How about a slather of apple butter on a hot and buttery biscuit?
Gave most of the jars away but found this one hidden behind a box of yogurt in the "drinks" fridge.

The apple butter from last fall.
The biscuit and butter a bit fresher.

mimi

Last edited:
Joined Apr 24, 2011

Thought I would add one last slow cooked item before the end of January.  One less month of winter down!

I did a slow cook Red Beans and Rice.  
MMM, man!

Nate, I gotta ask ya, are these dishes that you're making at work to serve to customers or just us folk at ChefTalk?

Which ever, I'll take that!

<edit-I won't say that I live in Arizona and it was 75º the other day>

Last edited:
Joined Apr 24, 2011
@flipflopgirl  SISTAH!!!  you came through!

Basically, a Black Forrest Cake in a jar all from homemade goods, to die for.

A Crock Pot[emoji]174[/emoji] Oatmeal, something we could all probably use more of, fiber and delicious too (and I NEED that recipe too btw)

Sneaky Caramel Sauce atop homemade Vanilla Ice Cream, a childhood fav of mine and dear to my heart,

just add a shortbread cookie and you have me in the palm of your hand ...

and lastly a jam, Apple Butter, one of my all time favorite jams in the whole wide world on a hot, buttery biscuit, oh my gawd save me!

Joined Apr 24, 2011
and my man, braddah @chefbuba  

holy shmoly!

That chili looks outstanding, I like the hominy and two different beans too.

Never thought to use short rib meat though, probably more flavorful though, right?

Did you use any beer in the braising liquid?

AND THEN WAIT!

served with Chips and cheese, OY MY GAWD!

Did you sell this as a special on the truck? Gonna Tweet 'ya when I'm in the area for sure

Last edited:
Joined Apr 24, 2011
AY!  You folks are making this VERY difficult for me!

But LISTEN!

We have one more full day of cooking left to go

I'll call it late on Saturday, I know that are a few ChefTalk

members that are trying to get under the wire with their dishes

So ...

HURRY UP, WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I think that my attempts at making sourdough bread fall under the slow cooking category. After all, I had to start with making a starter!

Anyway, my first attempt tasted OK, had some holes in the bread, but was very dense (I am still surprised at those holes being there while the bread was so dense)

Pretty happy with my second attempt (longer knead and an extra stretch and fold)

Joined Sep 26, 2012
Discussed this with penguinette, my local bread goddess - she declared it fine :) Additional folding steps are essential for a fluffy result.

Joined Sep 5, 2012
I didnt make this but had the oppertunity to eat it right at the source this week.
Geysir Bread is basically a rye bread recipe placed in a simple aluminum pot and then buried about two feet under ground for 24 hours. At about 100° C or 212° F, the bread bakes slowly, creating a rich, molasses-like crust from the sugars. It was absoulty delisious.

While I dont have any geysers here at home ive do have a couple of rational cooking systems that i could do on moist heat for 24 hours so Im going to give it a try at the end of feburary.

@Gene Any imput from the bread goddess would be great.

Joined Sep 26, 2012
I didnt make this but had the oppertunity to eat it right at the source this week.
Geysir Bread is basically a rye bread recipe placed in a simple aluminum pot and then buried about two feet under ground for 24 hours. At about 100° C or 212° F, the bread bakes slowly, creating a rich, molasses-like crust from the sugars. It was absoulty delisious.

While I dont have any geysers here at home ive do have a couple of rational cooking systems that i could do on moist heat for 24 hours so Im going to give it a try at the end of feburary.

@Gene Any imput from the bread goddess would be great.
Call her under penguinette-DE on this forum, she's always up for some discussion regarding bread.

Did I mention that I started learning Swedish, by the way? Trevligt att träffas! :)

Last edited:
Joined Jul 30, 2007
Close on the heels of mimi, another late for the sky entry( i promise its people food this time nicko!) ;)
This is total soul food for me and my go to comfort food. 'Green Chili Pork Stew' with roasted corn, black beans,poblanos
& sweet potatoes. Condiments i serve it with are crema mexicana with chopped cilantro...diced tomatoes with slivered red onion...smashed avacado with salt and lime...white and yellow corn blended tortillas

Bravo everyone for some truly great looking food.... i could almost smell and taste them

joey

Latest posts

Top Bottom