January 2016 Challenge: PEPPERS!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Just a simple bean dish:

Left over ham, white beans, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, dash of vinegar and

Ground dried chili's, paprika powder (lots), chili spring roll sauce and chili sauce

It's a bit in between a stew and a soup, maybe a soupy stew?

[edit: forgot that I used a lot of paprika as well]

Last edited:
Joined Jan 11, 2016
Chef Hoff,

You must share what your poblanos (I think) are stuffed with!  They're gorgeous from the pictures!

As for me, I'm currently on a Thai kick. Here's a delicious noodle soup i recently perfected:

Stock:

Chicken stock

Garlic

Ginger

Cilantro Stems

Lime Juice

Red Thai chile

Scallion

Fish Sauce

Soy Sauce to balance Salt

1-3 tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste (according to desired heat level)

Simmer for a few hours, strain. Add can of coconut milk.Two if I'm feeling decadent.  If desired, add diced chicken or shrimp that has been quickly stir fried with ginger, garlic, scallion, fish sauce.

Add rice noodles and cook according to package (usually around 6 minutes).

Serve with lime wedges, cilantro leaves, scallion, pickled ginger (I like shredded), and Fresno chiles. I like Fresnos for the beautiful red color, moderate heat, and great flavor.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2011
@jonijan - thanks. They are jalapeños not poblanos, but I'm sure poblanos would work with them too.

Slice a few dozen jalapeños in half lengthwise

Stuff with sausage/ cheese mix

Bake 400F for 20-25 minutes until brown and bubbling

Let sit for 15 minutes

Sausage/cheese mix:

Brown 1lb bulk sausage (can really be any type), cooled and strained
8oz softened cream cheese
1/2 cup shaved parmasean
2 tblspn roasted garlic paste
2 tblspn chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Now, I would love to see a picture of that soup. Sounds right up my alley.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2014
Over the weekend I grilled a pollock I caught.  4 of us only managed to eat half of it so I had some leftovers. 

Here I made a fried rice with my chili oil, some crab paste, and lots of leftover fish.   Other than the chili oil, there is some thai mouse shit chilli in there too.  This is asian fusion.  Viet/Thai/Chinese

Joined Sep 8, 2015
So my wife is allergic to bell peppers and any peppers "that have that taste" so sometimes anaheim's, etc. too.  Dinners pretty much out since she hasn't had to travel.  So I made a nice lunch.

Stuffed red peppers.  Ground pork sauted with onion and garlic.  Mix in some parsley and parmesan and stuff 'em, then a light marinara and into the oven until the peppers are soft.  Top with motzarella and bread crumbs and under the broiler they go.  I had them with more marinara and a nice green salad.

I just wish I had maybe charred the peppers on the outside first.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 8, 2015
Wow I wasn't aware of this.  Strange public perception is just the opposite.  

Joined Mar 19, 2009
I survived the egg challenge. But that's not the problem. I lost it, cause Phatch bribe was bigger than mine!

Joined Apr 25, 2011
@MillionsKnives - That Pollock looks great, but "Thai Mouse Shit Chili"?  What the ...?  (edit: I looked it up.  That is one of the funniest translations ever I need to use that pepper just for that name.)

The kung pao looks rocking.  What is your sauce?

@Hank - That sucks your wife is allergic.  The stuffed peppers look great.  Very hard to pick a challenge theme.  It was a toss up between three and peppers won.

@Mike9     - Since pepperoni is basically the Italian word for bell peppers and it is made with cayenne, paprika, and sometimes bell peppers I guess it counts.  Riding the line, but in.  Looks like a great pie.  Did you blanch the garlic first? Looked like pretty big pieces.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom