January 2016 Challenge: PEPPERS!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by planethoff, Jan 1, 2016.

1. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other

Sweet or Hot.  Dry or Fresh.  Stuffed, Grilled, Baked, Braised, Stir Fried, Pureed, Dried and Ground, any way you can think to prepare that reflects the flavor, texture, or presentation of any pepper(s).   I know we are not in the best time of year for them, but I think there is enough product out there to work with.

Good Luck, and I look forward to all your entries.  

Happy New Year let's make it a great 2016!

Cheers,

Hoff

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. welldonechef

welldonechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Would this include chili peppers?

3. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Yes. Even Chili made from fresh ground chile peppers is game. It's a pepper :)

4. welldonechef

welldonechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Perfect. It opens up a host of opportunity.

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Sweet!  Or not. This could be a good one.  Too bad I had such rotten luck with my homegrown, but there are plenty available at various markets.

mjb.

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Dang and I just finished a plate full of buffalo wings!! Talk about feature peppers! Butter and Franks hot sauce!

7. welldonechef

welldonechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mmm... Wings! Perhaps a nice sweet chili sauce...

8. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    That's right up my alley /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

I love chili's and my plants are producing reasonably OK at the moment

9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Interesting ingredient this should be fun.

10. welldonechef

welldonechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe a silly question... How do we "enter?" post the recipe here, or if it were on my blog, do I provide a link?

11. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Post recipe and technique and pictures here.  Generally no recycled work.  Do as much or as little as you wish, but winning a challenge is a big deal on cheftalk.  Makes you, uhm, legit.  ;)

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Everything Kuan said. Your entry must be made during the month of the challenge, don't pull photos of something you did last year. The point of the challenge is to get people cooking now.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Browse through the previous challenges for examples.

mjb.

14. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I hope I don't win or everyone will cook mung beans for a month :D

15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Made a nice brunch plate, but brunch is SO 2015!  December, 2015 to be exact.

So I threw in some peppers:

Two kinds of fresh: small, moderately hot Caribes, and the boring ol' red bell. The powder in the can is the last of my ground cayenne from 2014. That 14 ounce, USDA prime strip steak cost me just over 5 bucks. Sometime the used meat bin comes through with a deal.

No photos of the process, everyone should know how to cook eggs, hash browns and steak. Nothing groundbreaking here, just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Here's the result:

The potatoes have a nice amount of diced peppers in them, along with some onion. And that cayenne powder may be old, but still packs a punch!  The yellow on top of the eggs in the pepper ring is not from the yolks but from some grated cheddar tossed on as they finished in the oven.

It was tasty. And I didn't eat the whole steak in one sitting, there's some to nibble on later.

mjb.

16. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Pot of Texas red(chili for the heathens) simmering on the stove. I cubed some round steak, rendered out the trimmed fat, browned the meat in the fat, added the chopped onion and browned that, added 1/4 cup of mild chili powder, water to cover, tablespoon or so of beef Better than Bullion. I will add some of my homemade chili powder blend(extremely hot) in a bit as it finishes cooking. Pot of pinto beans simmering to ladle the chili over. Will post a picture later! This is more of a technique than a recipe and I do not measure...

Ladle of beans in the bottom, 2 ladles of chili, shredded white cheddar to tame the fire! Note the red color is strictly from the chili powder. There is NO tomato in this chili! Hard to see the meat, it all sank...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Texas red is a favorite. May have to do a batch soon. I've done it a few times based on brisket that sits in a 250 F oven overnight.

mjb.

18. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    A simple entry.

But it fullfills the requirements.....

The ingredients:

long roll, sliced in 3 (I had no more bread), mozarella cheese, fresh marjoram or oregano, Sri Racha (is a chili sauce, so it counts), ham (left over) and green pepper (its a pepper, so it counts )

All assembled, except for the cheese

Cheese on top and in the oven

End result

19. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @teamfat- Great job with the transitioning of challenge.  I like how you incorporated Stuffed, dried, and fresh peppers. 

@MaryB -  Love me some Texas Red.  What peppers did you use for your chili powder?

@MillionsKnives- Without even posting a dish that comment might have won you the challenge.  I would love to see Mung Bean February. lol

@butzy - looks tasty.  being a spiceaholic, I am very good friends with sriracha.  It has become a little too trendy (IMHO)  but is so good I still consider it a staple in my pantry.

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    My Chili powder(the homemade) is a mix of 12 peppers... Ancho base, chipotle, jalapeno, habenero, guajillo, serano, thai bird peppers, pasila, arbol, cascabel, morita all hand ground then I add garlic and onion powder, salt, black pepper, half sharp smoked paprika, and cumin... it has a very deep rounded flavor... I will not give amounts because I am thinking of offering it for sale!