Chef Forum banner

Jams, Jellies, and Preserves - Book Recommendation?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  smyrf 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! Does anyone have a good recommendation for a reference text on jams, jellies, and fruit preserves? Specifically, I'd like something with info on food safety principles for home canning. Most of the information I'm finding online is along the lines of "here is a recipe for this specific jam and how to can in, don't deviate at all from the recipe or you will kill someone." I would like something that gives me detailed info on the food safety elements so that I can safely make my own recipes. I'm imagining something with charts of processing times for different volumes, suggested pH ranges, etc.

Thanks! And happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!

#4 ·
There is a ton of information out there, on the internet. Many local "extension" offices publish their own pamphlets on this topic and post them online. When it comes to jams and jellies, safety isn't a huge concern, like it is with other canned items. The acidity and high sugar content make them poor breeding grounds for foodborne illnesses-sure it can happen but really, the bigger issue when deviating from recipes is the texture and consistency of your product-it setting up too much and becoming rubbery or not setting up enough and becoming soupy.

That said, I have a number of books but am at work so will have to get you names later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.