Jambalaya recipe (brown)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by agoodcook, Feb 19, 2004.

1. agoodcook

agoodcook

Hello all!
    Tyring to find a great recipe for Jambalaya that produces a dry rice and is brown, not the red jambalaya sauce. I know how to make the red, and it is not the kind where each grain of rice seperates. Does anyone have a good recipe. I want to use Andouilli, shrimp only. I am doing the chicken seperately, grilled and blackened which will be served on another dish.
    THANKS!:D

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    In southern Louisiana they call brown Jambayla "dirty rice" it is brown adn dry....chicken livers , green onons and sausage are involved but you can certainly adapt adn add shrimp and andouille.

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Speaking of jambalaya -- I just saw another story of two more possible origins of the name: 1) that it comes from a Provençal rice-and-fowl stew, jambalaia, via Louisiana French; and 2) that a cook named Jean was asked to throw something together with whatever he could find ("balayer" actually means to sweep) and the mixture of bits of this and that was named for him and his action.

Shroom, anyone else -- what say you to these creation myths?

4. agoodcook

agoodcook

Thanks all!
    I guess I did not explain myself very well. What I am trying for is how to "dry" the rice when making the dish. I do not like the rice to be gummy. Perhaps I cook the rice too long, because it always becomes gummy-like, although very good taste.
    I have a large party this week-end and I am going to cook the sauce part and then add some perfectlty cooked rice to the pan, and not continue to cook it. I will see if that helps.
    Thanks again you wonderful folks!:D

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Don't know about the stories, amazingly jambayla did not make it to STL....though there is a large french base .
    Not quite sure what your doing with your recipe...just use less liquid and a long grain rice. The flavors are absorbed when you make jamb. so to do it separatly seems not to be a full flavored dish. Saute the rice in oil prior to adding liquid will make a less gummy dish...but the proportion of rice to liquid is the biggest factor.